Post Offices in Budapest

Does anyone know the ticket procedure for the lines at the post office?  I know you have to push a button, get a number, and wait until you're called, but I have no idea what the OPTIONS are.  I've been there 3 times, and just guess, push a button, and I'm pretty sure I've chosen the wrong service every time.  They help me anyway, but I hate being the foreigner that holds up the lines.  I was going to just take a picture of the ticket machine on my phone and translate at home, but my phone camera is crap, and I felt INCREDIBLY awkward taking photos at the post office (I am from the US, and photographing a federal building seems incredibly suspicious to me, I have nightmares of being detained by the Magyar Posta...)

Anyone know the options by heart, or brave enough to take a picture for me?  :-)  I need the "Hungary for Dummies" book.  I've asked my hungarian speaking friends, and they all are clueless (how they've lived here without using the post office, I don't know, but none of them are ever any help, nor are they available to come with me)

THANKS!

octobop wrote:

Does anyone know the ticket procedure for the lines at the post office?  I know you have to push a button, get a number, and wait until you're called, ..... and they all are clueless (how they've lived here without using the post office, I don't know, but none of them are ever any help, nor are they available to come with me)

THANKS!

I've never seen a ticket machine in a PO. Do they have them now? They don't have them at all branches, at least around here.  Why not try a smaller post office where there's no ticket machine?

I can give some advice. If you're paying bills the button you need is the top one!

Apart from this I'm clueless like you.

The only Posta I've visited so far is the big one near the corner of Bajcsy Zsilinszky and Andrassy in V District. And yes, they do have a ticket machine, near the entrance, and about 80 people sitting or standing against a wall inside waiting for their number to come up.

This branch has/had at the time a seated attendant by the machine who pressed the button for me when I put utility bills under his nose.

At least there are lots of counter staff so the wait wasn't too long.

Edit: P.S. I'm not joking about the top button for bills – presumably all the machines are the same design – but I didn't have time to note any of the labels.

I've never seen this either, but I rarely go to a PO anymore...

Snap a picture with your phone, post here, and I'll translate.

Edit:
Oh, no worries, tourists are expected to click their camera ALL THE TIME! We love Japanese tourists for this reason :-)
Where you are not allowed to take pictures (exhibitions or high security areas) you'll see icons (camera crossed out with red diagonal line.)

And Chaser's War on Everything said it best:
If you plan to do something suspicious, just make sure not to wear a towel on your head and an obviously fake beard!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0n4Oehj6y8