Potential Move to the island; Telecommuting; Surfing, Family, Life!

Hi guys,
I have been reading a lot of the posts and have found them very interesting and informative.

A little about my situation, I am a gringo but have spent years many consecutive years living in Mexico and Central America. I have lived in both very populated areas and very remote, not a whole lot that could shock me (I think...). I love the Latino culture and I speak Spanish fluently. I am married with 3 little children who understand a significant amount of Spanish (wife is half Mexican). We have done significant research and visits to several locations that interest us for a potential move these include, Mexico and Hawaii. I have a BSN and currently work from home as a telephonic Triage RN (in fact my employer has an office in San Juan, however I would work from home); I am also a surfboard shaper and own a small surf company.

I claim total ignorance to what is life in Puerto Rico, but I am very interested in a potential relocation, we plan to visit in a few months. Correct me if I make any misstatement but I assume the island pace is very similar to Hawaii, or the manana mentality south of the boarder, which we are very use to, and seek after- is this assumption wrong? I am looking at the north west to south west side of the island for relocation, I am looking for a more remote rural location, ideally would like to have a little land and build a home or improve on already existing structure (also come from construction background; I will rent at first if we decide to move); because I will need internet and cell service so I assume I cannot be too far off the beaten path, plus I don't want to be too far from the surf. Are there areas that could fit my criteria, any suggestions?

Anyone had experiencing building in PR, any advice?

Can I count on consistent internet access and cell service in the areas I am looking at (minus weather issues)?

In my research I have noticed a lot of talk about high energy prices and huge bills due to AC use. Is this legitimate? Are there solar options that are being employed on the island? I have been living inland in AZ finishing school and have been paying huge AC bills in the summer, often times $300-$500/mo. will I see a continuation of these prices in PR, or is it higher, lower?

I would like to get my kids into public schools but they are not proficient in Spanish, so I am thinking of a potential home school situation vs. private school. I am worried about this however, taking my children out of the cultural, social loop. Good or bad I want my children to know PR and its people, plus the schools and potential "anti" mentality cannot be worse than my experience in Hawaii... Any suggestions on tapping into/getting my kids involved in the culture? School suggestions?

Anyone have any insight into the line-up? As far as surf goes what's the word...? Are there a lot of shapers on the island, any room for one more?

Any insight/advise and or caution would be appreciated. Would also be insightful if there are any geographic, logistical, or "vibe" comparisons to be made between the North West/South West side of PR and say, Hawaii, and or Mexico & Central America (I have extensive knowledge and experience in these areas). This might give me some insight even before I get there in a few months.
Thank you!

Hi Ensign and welcome to Expat.com!

Have you taken a look to the different discussions of the forum? They shall give an idea to you.

And, I may suggest you look at this helpful link > https://www.expat.com/en/guide/central- … -rico.html. Hope it helps.

All the best,
Harmonie.:)

Hi Ensign,

Here are some answers for you.

Cell phone coverage is pretty good in the more populated areas. In the central mountain range reception can be poor. I'm a Sprint customer and happy with the coverage - coverage.sprintpcs.com/IMPACT.jsp?covType=sprint&id16=coverage Other providers include AT&T, T-Mobile, Claro (used to be Verizon) and Open Mobile. Most providers offer local and national (all  of the USA incl PR, Virgin Islands) contracts.

Building your own home is a good plan, especially if you have a construction background. In rural areas you'll find many 1-3 person construction contractors who will do an amazingly good job for very fair prices. Like with so many things here it helps a lot if you know somebody who knows somebody. In the area where I live - the mountain area east from Humacao I know some of those guys.
Almost all new houses here are based on a concrete construction of slab, columns and beams. The walls are made with concrete blocks. We're in the hurricane alley and since evacuation is no real option when a storm hits it helps to have a strong house in which you can ride it out.

You'll need some permits and here it also helps if you know somebody who can help you to take bureaucratic hurdles.

Internet service is pretty good here. More than 95% of the household have access to DSL and in many towns and cities there's also cable service.

Electricity cost  is high but in rural areas, especially if you are getting a place (a little) up in the mountains you won't really need A/C. many people only have a window A/C unit in their bedroom. We use ours only a couple of times per year for some hours and use fans the rest of the time.
Without A/C we spent around 100 - 120 USD/month in electricity in a two person household. In the warm months this is around 200 bucks monthly.

Thinking about it, you might consider to buy a "construction ruin". People who started to build a house and ran out of money after the main construction was done. The concrete is in a good shape most of the times and finishing a house like that doesn't take much - 20 to 30 Grand will do wonders. With a little luck there's already water and electricity service so you only have to bother with opening an account with the utility companies.
Drive around in the area where you consider living and you'll find sites like this. Some of them might be for sale..

Thanks for the input! I am hoping to get out there soon and take a survey of my options; I think that finding a "building ruin" would be ideal however I am not opposed to raw land and the opportunity to build ground up. Does anyone see people using solar panels and or organic toilets in their homes? I am thinking about going a little greener, while I would still like traditional electric option I am thinking about solar panels to supplement.

Could anyone suggest/recommend areas of a little higher elevation (more mountainous) near the Aguada, Aguadilla, Rincon, or other West, North West, and or South West areas? I don't want to be too far from the beach but am thinking that it might be of interest to look for some properties with a little higher elevation.

How is traffic in the West, North West, and or South West areas? Is it unreasonable to think that I could cruise from the Aguada or Rincon area south to Ponce with relative ease at any given time of day?

Ensign. Drop me an email and I'll send you my phone number. I live in Moca which is pretty close to an area you might find ideal.

Gregg