Where should I live?

Hi All! I am currently negotiating a contract to work as a pilot for a company in Cairo. My housing will be included, but I do not know where, or what they plan to offer me. Where should I ask to live, if I have any say in the matter? Zamalek? Maadi? Katamia? What do you guys think? Not to far from the airport would be good, and someplace safe where there are lots of other expat westerners, supermarkets, places to eat. My company may give me what I request, if I just know enough to ask for it. I think I may be their first American pilot, and they may not have thought much about where would be best for me to live. All ideas and suggestions welcome.

Another factor is that after a few months my Philippino girlfriend may come live with me, so an area where this would not cause a scandal, and where she might hope to find some kind of work nearby, or at least a neighborhood where she could feel comfortable during the day while I am at work would be good.

Also, are there any good gyms there in Cairo? That would be a bonus for housing, if there were some good places to work out nearby. Thanks!

Hi American Pilot and welcome to Expat.com!

Have you gone through the different discussions of the forum? This may help, and concerning the gym, take a look at this link > https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=49547.

Hope it helps,
Harmonie.:)

If you want it to be safe, have lots of services (restaurants), lots of westerners, and close to the airport, I strongly recommend El Rehab.

It's a very modern gated community (or compound as we call it here) in New Cairo (suburban area) on Cairo-Suez road (but of course it's much closer to Cairo). It's relatively high class, has all the services you need (big food court, market area, two malls, workshops area, schools, medical center), lots of expats live there, and it's 15 to 20 minutes from the airport.

It has more gardens than the average Cairo neighborhood. And people there have a pretty much "laissez faire" attitude and are not nosy or intruding in your business like some other places. Also the sight of expat couples or mixed couples is quite popular there so you wouldn't be drawing too much attention.

Btw, it's off topic, but your girlfriend cannot obtain a visa upon arrival at Cairo airport so you'd have to work that out.

Hi...I agree on the below posts...

Myself as a Turkish expat...I also chose to live in Rehab as it is very close to my work (Heliopolis area) and in your case it would be as well with same convenience...it is like 15 min drive to airport..best you could get in means of time for Cairo :)

However have to admit the fact that Rehab is less expat oriented than Zamalek/Maadi but to live it is an easy laid back life where you all the amenities/services from food to car repair so basically u got all u want...

I am also living here with my gf (she is french) and we got no issues so far have been here only for a month:)

so i do recommend u to choose Rehab...let me know if you need any further details..

good luck!
kemal

I agree with Kemal about Zamalek and Maadi having more expats.

But in comparison, in Rehab you can have all the services including car repair as he mentioned, I rarely have to go outside Rehab.

Also, car parking in Rehab is not a problem at all with abundant parking spaces (mainly free ones), compared to Zamalek and Maadi where you could get home from an errand in one hour and search for parking for half an hour !! (or pay an outrageous amount of money for a garage subscription which might not be even close enough to where you live !)

Most importantly, Zamalek and Maadi are more upscale, but if you want to struggle with traffic for an hour or even more to get to or from the airport, that's your choice :D

Last but not least, getting from Rehab to the Cairo "mainland" is easy and fast and roads are rarely congested. You can get to Heliopolis or Nasr City in the matter of 20 minutes.

-------------

sorry for being off-topic, but I hope you - Kemal -  and your gf could join us in the outing next Saturday in Rehab :D. TurkeyForever (Seref), another Turkish expat in Rehab is joining as well.

details in this thread : https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=104493

hi thanks for the notice...

we already have plans for saturday afternoon...but will try to catch up for the Zalat cafe part...

Hope you guys enjoy!

Rehab hmmm? Ok great, I will put that on my list. Being closer to the airport is very nice. It looks like Zamalek or Maadi could easily be an hour in traffic, right? I don't mind a nice mixed population - I just don't want to be the only western expat in the area. I will do some research on Rehab, thanks !

you are definitely right...and i did not want to be the only expat in the area too...despite the fact that has been here for only a month did meet some expats in the area and sure there must be more as there is like 3-4 international schools...

and by the way as for your question regarding gym...there is a good complex within rehab with pool/gym/tennis...etc.

American Pilot wrote:

Rehab hmmm? Ok great, I will put that on my list. Being closer to the airport is very nice. It looks like Zamalek or Maadi could easily be an hour in traffic, right? I don't mind a nice mixed population - I just don't want to be the only western expat in the area. I will do some research on Rehab, thanks !

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me.

Also there are lots of western expats here in Rehab so don't worry. It's not uncommon to see westerners jogging, shopping, staying in cafes or restaurants ......etc. so you won't be the odd one out if that is what concerns you.

This why I chose Rehab when I moved in with my Ukrainian wife btw.

Thanks everyone - I will be talking to the Egyptian contractor later today, and I will request to live in Rehab.

good decision .... Just hope you don't end up in rehab after living for one month in El Rehab (pun intended :D )

Anyways. Once you arrive here, let me know. I can help you around town and show you where to get what you'd need from. I am a veteran Rehab resident.

Good luck with the job offer.

P.S: Make sure the apartment is fully furnished, with Natural Gas pipeline (not gas cylinders), telephone (so you can install broadband internet), air conditioning, and furniture in good condition.

I think a two bedroom would suffice for a couple without children.

P.P.S: You should start working on visa for your GF as soon as you have your offer signed.

Ok will do, thanks!