HELP! HELP! HELP! MINDS MADE UP: MOVING TO PUERTO RICO

Even after reading all of these post, I dream everyday of moving to Puerto Rico! My husband is Puerto Rican...ALL of his family (which I am very close to are still in Puerto Rico) We go every year, we inherited a home in Puerto Rico (Salinas) and really really want to move.....I really want to move my household stuff from Missouri to PR, as it is mine, it is paid for, and I have worked very hard for the nice stuff that I have! Our cars are paid for, everything in our home is paid for, and that is the best way for us to move over there payment free! what is the hold up you ask? I have gotten a moving quote from a couple companies and it is on the upward of 10,000 dollars ! I would greatly appreciate any advice on moving companies for our household stuff....and shipping companies for our cars....Also, I would love any input on schools, jobs, activities, any thing that would be helpful to our move....we do have a 4 year old son that is bi-lingual. (I want him in a good school) We are not rich, no savings, just a want to! I do medical billing and coding for a living and my husband does heating, cooling, electrical, plumbing work.....what do you guys think? Pros and cons!

Desperately wanting to move to Puerto Rico with our family!

Hi ajvazquez,
  If you are near a shipping port try a company called Tropical Shipping. I don't know if they can help you but you never know. We used them and it was very reasonable, they also give you the option of transporting your own cargo to the port and that will significantly lower your cost. To tell you the truth 10k for two cars and an entire household doesn't sound to exhorbitant to me. As for the pro's and con's, number one is that you have a great attitude. That will really come in handy when your here. Another pro in my opinion is that your husband has a skill that he can take with him wherever, ie he can even start his own company if he wants. Another pro is that your son is at an age that he can assimilate, plus the fact that he is bilingual is even better. Another pro is that I assume that the house you inherited is paid for, so no mortgage or rent. The property taxes are very reasonable here plus if your home or property is of a certain age you may even be exempt. It was very easy to work with the agency in charge of that, which is known as "CRIM" (an acronym pronounced Kreem). Another plus is that Salinas is close to both Guayama and Ponce two major urban hubs. They both have Sam's Club and Costco and many other major retail stores. At least you are not in the boondocks, although I happen to prefer the boondocks. As for the con's like you said you have already read them on this blog, including my rants I gather. One thing that helped me when I had to make the decision is a saying in Spanish.
"No se escribe nada de los cobardes" "Nothing is written of the cowards. If you are so passionate as it seems you are about moving here, then go for it. When you get here if you need help just let me know. Whatever I can help you guys with. My wife, son and I are here to lend a hand.

Awwwwwww! Thank you! :) I am very passionate about moving to Puerto Rico, and just by your response even more passionate! I was told that the only Puerto Ricans that would accept me (the Gringa) is my husbands family, :( I know better because I have been there every year for 14 years and always treated very well by everyone! Where is Cidra located? I have been to a lot of places on the island....don't know that I have ever been there!

Salinas is a lovely town, lots of nice tranquil waterfront and great seafood restaurants.  Just to be sure: there is Salinas in the south ( near Ponce) and Punta Salinas in the north, near Levittown and Catano.  do you know which for sure? Either one is nice but the Punta Salinas is definitely more " EAST COAST" feeling: lots of ex New Yorkers and the like. 
See if you can find ROSA DEL MONTE on the internet: they are very big movers from the mainland to the island.  As far as taking all your "stuff"  my suggestion is sell what you can and take the minimum.  First of all, you will find that "stuff" which was essential in MO, is absolutely USELESS in PR. Life is definitely less complex; we have tons of K Marts, Wal marts, Sams, Costco,Marshall's and TJ MAX and Burlington Coat factory as well as  almost EVERY major department store and mall chain you can think of and then some. These stores are also much better merchandised than their counterparts on the mainland: JC Penny for example is on a par with Macy's unlike in NY where it is considered much lower quality; even K Mart is more upscale than on the mainland.
   also what you bring might be taxable.... so you don't want to have to pay tax on old stuff that just cost you a fortune to ship.  think about it: nice new furniture to fit your new life style ;-) 
If you have a good car, that will cost you about $1400 to ship and then you will have to pay import tax when it arrives.  If it's a good car, it's worth it. buying a used  car here is a crap shoot: the roads are full of pot holes due to the rains and there is no way you can keep  the tires aligned or the car in good shape. Even though the island is only 35 by 100 miles, cars tend to have very high mileage on them even when they are only a few years old.
hope that was helpful.

Thank you! You bet it was helpful.....any information I can get is helpful! The only reason that I wanted to bring my "stuff" is, it is mine, paid for and I have worked hard for what I have...It is familiar to me (a part of me) ya know, I am coming to a different place....I know i visit every year, but, it still is different to me and to my 4 year old! I just thought that it would make it more like "HOME" for us! I AM SO EXCITED for this move!

Why don't you sell your "stuff" and then buy new stuff with that $$$ when you get there?  It will still be "your" stuff that is paid off with $$$ you worked for.

I just realized your original question was over a year ago.  I hope you figured it out.

Hello lakehouse, do not hesitate to start a new thread on the Puerto Rico forum with your questions. :)

PS: To note that is thread is dated 2011.

Thank you,
Aurélie

I am a Gringo, from New Hampshire, and I have been here 11 yrs. I have been fortunate to have met my lovely wife here, have the greatest neighbors, everywhere I have lived, and mostly well treated by all. Jobs are scarce here, so plan for that.

@ Mac00677 > Thanks for your input. However, please note that this thread is quite old (2011)

Cheers,

Priscilla  :cheers: