19/Male/UK! Lots of queries and questions!

Hello all,

I'm currently looking to study at Nyugen Tat Tanh university this year, as the subject says I'm 19 male and from england.

I'm looking to find anyone with information on the area/anyone that's near by, english speaking and willing to lend a friendly ear over a glass of wine or a few beers!

If anyone has any information on sports teams, especially a field hockey team I'd be very grateful.

I speak absolutely no Vietnamese so this is a huge step for me, very exicted to say the least!

Regards,

Tom

Hey, from UK and an Avid fan of Hockey? owwwss..I thought football..  Im an avid fan of The Leafs though..lol..Ill send you someone you can talk from here on Pm..

And also you can find a network from Britain on here..Welcome to Vietnam.

Alright tom

My names george and im also for england from north london. I got out here last week to start a new job but dont know to many people and not one englishmen. Like yourself i speak no vietnamise but know a few things about the city. have no clue about the hockey team bit cos im a football man myself but no doubt you could find somthing out here. let me know when you get out here if you want to grab a beer. catch you soon. george

Hey ya...

What about language exchange (including help with the city guide)? Is there anyone interesting in? just drop me a message...

Cheers
Annie

Hi Tom & George, I'm pretty sure I've seen a hockey team somewhere I'll ask around again its not my thing either.

George Get down down to De Tham or spotted cow on Sat for the footy and you'll soon find us English... :D
Where in North london? I was working around there before coming here.

Nice one laidback. From muswell hill. about 20 min for camdan. you heard of it?
Il head down to these places for sure for the footie. Hopfully can meet some fellow liverpool fans down there and watch us smash up spurs this weekend!!!!

Hi George, there's one liverpool fan amongst my group of friends, he out the country at the moment back in a week I think.
Yep I know Muswell Hill, I used to near Camden and drive around there a lot. :)

Well.. this forum is pretty excellent.

My course starts 20th of october so I'll be sure to keep in touch with you both!

good stuff. hopfully catch you down at the bar at some point.

hi everyone
welcome to our country! If you need any help, i'll try my best to help you to get used to the way of life in here.

which major u gonna learn in Nguyen Tat Thanh university? btw welcome to vietnam Tom ;) hope u will like the life style here;)

Dear all,

Welcome you all to HCM City :D
There will be many thing are waiting for you here :)
If you need any help, feel free to contact me.

Regards,
Nicky

(Moderated: inappropriate)

hammerhead992000
i dont know why you said so. But if you keep thinking that all Vietnamese friends who offer to help foreigners are bad people,i dont think it's good for you.
You should give up those negative thoughts.Other wise, you would loose lots of precious things in you life.

hi Tom! Wecome to Vietnam. Hope you enjoy your staying here

hammerhead992000 wrote:

ask British consulate about events (on Le Duan street near US consulate).

Hi Tom, I wouldnt bother with the British consulate. Sadly unlike the US and some of the other consulates, the British one is sadly lacking (putting it politely) but agree with hooking up with other brits and certainly wont take long.
I think\hope his interactions with locals on arrival will be slightly different to most who arrive here as he's going to be studying along side them.

hammerhead992000 wrote:

Hi Tom

SInce you are new here, my advice is stay away from the locals "offering" ANYTHING... it will only end up as free English lessons for them, lost $$ from your pocket, or anything along that line (as u can see from above offers). Hang out with expats should be fun, ENJOY !

Cheers

Dear hammerhead,

I hope my reply will not offend you and I do apologize if any VNese around here give you bad impressions about local ppl.Please dont hang on with that stereotype.Not everybody does.I am one of locals in HCMC and I have lived overseas for about 6 years before coming back here last July.So I can understand some sort of problems that an expat may have during their settle down time.Therefore I always love to help foreigners when they have questions about anything and everything in HCMC.All of them become my friends now and Im glad to see they love HCMC more and more each day.Sometimes they even discover some interesting things that I have never known before and we all feel great to explore the life here together.
So,at the end of the day,I think there is always bad and good people no matter where we are.I hope you may consider to change your point of view a little bit and give some other local people a chance to prove that VNese are really friendly and love to welcome international friends to their home.Coz we are really do.
And yes,you can ask me whatever things you like about this city as well as VN,and I can guarantee I wont ask for a penny ;)

I wish you best things in life,

Regards,

Ha Duong

@hammerhead992000
Why dont you go back to your country idiot ? We dont need a ESL teacher like you in our country. You get pay by Viet people to insult them?

In defense of Hammerhead I don't think he was trying to cause offense to anyone, but rather trying to give a newbie in town a little reminder to be aware of Trojan horses.
There are a lot of scam artists in town willing to take advantage of the vulnerable\new faces etc. Just the same as there are in EVERY other city in the world.
(At least that's what I hope he meant)

For my part I have dealt with the hustlers and have a laugh and joke with them now. I think nearly every local I have met has been friendly and helpful. I have been asked if I would help\let someone practice there English with me and have been more than happy to if I've had time. Those times I haven't I've apologized and said no and explaining why and no one has been upset by this.

But to those new in town I would say the same maybe a bit more delicately put though.
Have fun guys and relax life's too short :)

hammerhead992000 wrote:

Hi Tom

Welcome to sgn...been living here for over 5 years. Hook up with other brits + ask British consulate about events (on Le Duan street near US consulate). SInce you are new here, my advice is stay away from the locals "offering" ANYTHING... it will only end up as free English lessons for them, lost $$ from your pocket, or anything along that line (as u can see from above offers). Hang out with expats should be fun, ENJOY !

Cheers

I'm very sorry and understanding with what Hammerhead has been experiencing here, hope you have a better day in nearly future... be positive man... we would meet those bad guys in wherever you are all over the world.

Best, to all

tonydo126 wrote:

@hammerhead992000
Why dont you go back to your country idiot ? We dont need a ESL teacher like you in our country. You get pay by Viet people to insult them?

agreed

I agree with Hammerhead tbf.  It would be nice if it wasn't the case but generally strangers in Saigon offering you anything here usually means they want to fleece you.

Guy,

I have a sincere advice for you, as the local here...the Nguyen Tat Thanh is not a good choice for studying...it might waste your time in school...as my perspective.

why I advice you that ? due to the local Vietnamese who attend that school and they work not so good after graduation...it might depends on skill,students, teacher,education environment even thought approaching method...whatever.

Hope you have a good choice, good place when come here.

hammerhead992000 wrote:

Hi Tom

Welcome to sgn...been living here for over 5 years. Hook up with other brits + ask British consulate about events (on Le Duan street near US consulate). SInce you are new here, my advice is stay away from the locals "offering" ANYTHING... it will only end up as free English lessons for them, lost $$ from your pocket, or anything along that line (as u can see from above offers). Hang out with expats should be fun, ENJOY !

Cheers

Guy,

it depends on your situations...maybe you meet someone else but not for all.
As the local vnmese, I `m really not happy with your thought, its baseless...no body need approach if you are idiot, I`m sure...if you meet the right local person, don`t think that you are so rich here, no body ask for your money here but we are local...

i totally do agree with you. He must have not put all people in the same shoes.

Actually I guess maybe hammerhead992000 have had some bad experiences and this is the reason why he acted like that. Therefore, please not to blame him anymore:)

As a Vietnamese, certainly I'm not happy for what he said. However, I used to work  with some foreigners and also met a lot of situations that I and my foreign colleagues didn't know how to solve, such as I had to explain the reason why my colleagues didn't want to buy a guide book for a vendor at Ben Thanh market while she misunderstood that I kept my friends not to buy her books and she scolded us a lot or I had to protect my American friends from "being cut" by a motobike rider coz' he "shouted" an on-the-sky price, etc...

I really hope all of foreigners will be happy when stay in our country and someday when they return their country, they will tell their friends how our country is beautyful and how Vietnamese is friendly and helpful.