Pet Transport

Does anyone have any information about transporting pets back to the States? I've acquired 2 cats here in Guangzhou which I'd like to take with me back to Seattle. Any advice or recommendations about airlines, requirements, tips, etc.? Thanks!

I am not an expert. The following is some information I found online.

'A. Contact the embassy of the country of your destination for relevant requirements or information about the entry of a foreign pet. Such information may include the kinds of entry documents and relevant requirements, valid veterinary certificates, etc..

B. Contact the quarantine department of the Chinese government for animals to enter or exit the country. It may provide you with related information about the places where you can get the aforementioned certificates or which designated animal hospitals you need to visit.

You may need to notarise certain certificates, or to ask the veterinarian for medicine or advice for your car-sick or plane-sick animals.

C. Contact your airlines for information about carrying pets with you as a carry-on luggage. Some foreign airlines allow certain pets to travel with their owners. But there are requirements about the size and position of the pet luggage. Also there is restriction to the animal's mobility. Some airlines require the owner to put the pet luggage in a luggage cabin. Then you need to ask for the conditions inside the cabin to know if your pet can survive there.

Adjust the case or whatever in which your pet travels with you. Consider putting some water-absorbing materials inside, so the animal won't feel too uncomfortable if it pees during the long journey.

Before boarding the plane, confirm that the cabin crew has known the existence of a peg luggage and made preparation for it. Prepare an injector for the animal in case of medical emergency.

D. Prepare a special bottle and train your pet how to drink water from it. If you put a bowl of water in the case, the water may splash out during the journey and make the case uncomfortable to stay. Such special bottles may be found in pet shops.

Label your ways of contact and flight details on the case. Use pet collars and identification cards to show your ownership and ways of contact.

Confirm with the airlines or airports the time you need to enter the airport and start the check-in procedure.

Put some food and toys inside the case to make your pet feel happy, not hungry and lonely.

It may cost you a fortune to take a pet to another country. It is a serious decision. Please don't abandon your pets in a foreign country. They may not be able to communicate with foreign animals!'

Advice from other people online for your reference only! :)

TX! Helpful. I appreciate it!

Does anyone know how might China Southern Airlines charge to take two cats to Guangzhou from  London? Thanks!

I brought my dog from London to China for up-to-date information you should contact (free):

International Center for Veterinary Services
No. 13-16 Rong Ke Gan Lan Cheng Shang JieFu Tong Xi Da Jie, Wangjing Chaoyang District, Beijing   PRC  100102
Tel: (010) 8456-1939/1940
E-mail: [email protected]
Web site: www.ICVSASIA.com

They gave the contact of a Chinese based Pet relocation company and I was very happy with their services:
Globy Pet Relocation Beijing
Attn: Harriet Liu or Lay Teng
Tel: (010) 8762-5020
Fax: (010) 8762-5281
Email: [email protected]

From London to Beijing we were able to take the small dog (4kg) in the cabin - but had to use FinnAir, as most airlines do not allow it. I understand that when you fly out of China, you cannot take the dog in the cabin, so you have to send it as checked luggage.

Good luck

Marco

Thanks for the reply, Marcofri! I was in the process of contacting Globy. Can I ask how much Globy roughly charged you for the transportation of the dog? They are quoting me almost £1000 GBP for two cats altogether . . .

Hello there, they charged £500 for a tiny dog, this includes telling you what paperwork you need, reviewing it, helping you at arrivals with a dedicated person to go to the quarantine office and then they brought the dog back to us after 1 week of quarantine...