Vaccinations for New Delhi

What sort of vaccinations should I consider if I am staying in New Delhi for a couple months?

Hi,
I think nothing.

ajdedo wrote:

What sort of vaccinations should I consider if I am staying in New Delhi for a couple months?

Hi

You should have vaccinations. I dont know if your health insurance requires vaccinations to be taken. The NHS (UK) has a website which lists the various vaccinations for India.

www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/asia-(east)/india.aspx

I had most vaccines because I could be working in more remote parts of India, so had rabies shots as well. Although animals I have seen so far seem ok in Delhi.

You also need to be careful what you drink and be aware what can be transmitted in water. What may be ok for a local may not be for you.

Hi

I agree with Luke...there are a number of injections that you may need to have, all depends on current outbreaks etc..typhiod is most certainly one which you will need along with another for malaria.

as Luke stated check on the NHS site and consulte your local GP or nurse, they will be bale to guide you.

you should also look up the British High Commission website as it provides information on travelling and living abroad and is specific to different countries..

hope the info helps!

You cant be vaccinated for malaria. I assume you mean take the anti malaria tablets.

I am not taking the tablets.

However Dengue fever seems the thing to really worry about in Delhi, but dont think its that common unless there is an outbrake.

The point with mosquitoes is to avoid getting bitten. Cover up and use repellent. Think monsoon time is worst for diseases spread by mosquitoes.

Hope you are not too worried. There are over 12m people living in Delhi.

Hi, so I looked at the NHS web page, and I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I can really decipher what they are advising I get.

It says usually advised - diphtheria; tetanus; poliomyelitis; hepatitis A; typhoid
and sometimes advised - hepatitis B; rabies; Japanese encephalitis; cholera.

But that seems like an awful lot and not very specific. From what I gather from your posts though, Dengue, Typhoid, and Hep would be something to consider.

I will most likely be in Delhi only. Thanks.

There is no vaccine for dengue. Just need to avoid not being bitten.

I had:
diphtheria;
tetanus;
poliomyelitis;
hepatitis A;
typhoid
hepatitis B;
rabies; and
Japanese encephalitis

Not sure if I had cholera. Dont think I had the vaccine. I would advise you take all of them with possible exception of rabies and Japanese encephalitis. But better safe than sorry, even you are visiting Delhi.

Hi, I had Hepatitis A (One shot), Hepatitis B (Three shots), Diphteria (1 shot),  Typhoid (1 shot), Japanese encephalitis (2 shots), rabies (3 shots), Polio (1 shot)... I metion the shots because you will need 7 weeks to taken all... The best protection against colera us watching what you eat and drink, the tablets for cholera only protects you 10%.

The local clinic is trying to push Meningitis (ACWY) on me. Do you think that one is necessary?

No

niranjanaccord wrote:

Hi,
I think nothing.

I also think like that. Why should one unnecessary inject oneself with so many living bacteria and so??? If you get sick - Indian doctors will diagnose you and treat... Sorry for off top…

Hi. The vaccines are made from dead bacteria.

ajdedo wrote:

Hi. The vaccines are made from dead bacteria.

Vaccines are made from Living bacteria, which will be injected in the body in the minor dose. The body will begin to produce antibodies against it, immunity will strengthen  and in this way (in brief) the defense mechanism of the body against particular bacteria will be created. Kindly, please, go through the history of vaccination…

Listen masha.pasha, don't patronize me. There are two types of vaccines, living and dead. The most common that we are taking about is the dead kind. Why don't you do some research in to the current vaccines yourself. You can start here ->http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis/do … yphoid.pdf

Read paragraph 2

ajdedo
Hm...Kindly accept my apology for giving an impression of attempting to patronize you, I did not mean to…