Living & Working in lagos as an Indian Expatriate

Hi Mates

I am an Indian who has been working in Dubai for the last 10 years and i have been offered a position in Lagos by my employer. I have tax free salary here and as everybody knows Dubai is very safe,luxurious(but yes you got to pay for it),excellent night life,good mix of expatriates from all over the world.Crime not existing anywere as the law and order is very much in place and hardly any corruption & also clubbing& pubbing with utmost safety. Ladies can roam around anytime without fear of being mugged or molested.
Well its just that i am looking for a change and have lived a lot in such an atmosphere.I am considering relocating to Lagos for a while if i can be helped with the following queries:-

How safe is Lagos to live and work(well i am not expecting it to be like Dubai but have heard nasty things about Nigeria before with expats,what is the realistic situation)

Can one live without fear with family(wife,kids etc)

Good Educational schools and medical facilities is it available in Lagos.

In US$ if its CTC,what would be a good salary to live a good life with family,kids education,medical,vehicle & fuel,savings etc.

Which are safe/good areas to live and what would the cost be for a decent housng for a family of 4.(Husband,wife,2 kids)

How is it working in Lagos

How is the local population and how do they reciprocate to expatriates.

Corruption in day to day life,airport,cops how rampant and bad it could be.

How safe is the local transport like buses,taxis

How good are the pubs,night clubs(if there are any) and how safe are those for expats to visit.

Thanks

Hi,

Jus sme thoughts on ur Q's

Can one live without fear with family(wife,kids etc)- You can

Good Educational schools and medical facilities is it available in Lagos.- There are, but nt many

In US$ if its CTC,what would be a good salary to live a good life with family,kids education,medical,vehicle & fuel,savings etc.- guess fuel n other things has to be by company, also education and medical...these are costly here 

Which are safe/good areas to live and what would the cost be for a decent housng for a family of 4.(Husband,wife,2 kids)- u cant afford housings here, co has to provide

How is it working in Lagos- ok

How is the local population and how do they reciprocate to expatriates.-nice

Corruption in day to day life,airport,cops how rampant and bad it could be.-not tht bad...need to tackle thm

How safe is the local transport like buses,taxis- not safe

How good are the pubs,night clubs(if there are any) and how safe are those for expats to visit.-its safe, need to avoid sme pockets though

Hi Bonney,

Living in Lagos is not as bad but don't come with Dubai on your mind otherwise you will be terribly disappointed. It is one of the better countries to live in Africa. Good night life, if you are living in VI or Ikoyi. Lagos has range of very good schools, American, British and French. Good and wide variety of cuisine.

Although not as safe as India but no major security threat. And since it is a hardship posting for most of expats, you end up saving more money as compared from living in Dubai or elsewhere. And believe me terrific exposure professionally. Things don't move so fast and professionally but this is what gives you opportunity to hone your management skills. Country is growing economically and gives lots of options. A normal nigerian is very courteous and sophisticated. They don't mind expats infact they are very hospitable. Weather is not as harsh as dubai infact it is cool.

Sacrifices required; your child can not go out and play with friends in park simply because there aren't many parks and safety is an issue but residential complexes are huge enough to accomodate all kind of sports activities. Housing is very expensive, inflation is high, indian food is expensive.

Overall a fun place to spend 3-4 years without too much worries.

Cheers,

Ajay

hey Lagos is as safe as anywhere, i m a Nigerian just move to Lagos for a job , LAGOS IS FUN TO BE NIGHT LIFE VERY GOOD AROUND LAGOS ISLAND AXIS

Secondly i advice you have your accommodation around Lagos island, there you have good life and you meet other foreigner also you can reach me on email if you have any question to ask amoxrich(at)hotmail.com

Wellcome to Nigeria

Ajay could not have said it better. I think residential complexes are your best bet as a new comer with a family. Will help you adjust better to the environment. Lagos is definitely no Dubai! But it can be a fun place to live if you do your homework and have a well-paying job.

Sir,

I have an offer from Angola (Luanda) as Logistic Supervisor. They are offering 1500 USD Net Salary per month plus Bachelor accommodation, Food, air ticket every two years, Transportation. There are 3 – 4 Indians working in the same company at Angola and one of them known to my close friend and the job offer I got through my close friend's reference only who is working India.  According to the friend, from Angola there is no problem in working Angola i.e don't worry about security issues etc. 

At the same time, I have an offer from Dubai and the salary is almost same of Angola (Angola salary is Rs.15,000/- per month more than Dubai). Only the advantage I am seeing in Angolan company is they are offering an yearly good increment and bonus.

Can you please tell me about Angola and the security risk of the expatriates working in Angola? Can I accept this Angola job, I have already received the ordinary visa.

Hi Bonney, 

Just read your posts. Have you move to Lagos, if yes how is your experience . I am an Indian , planning to move to Lagos from Dubai with wife and kids. May be staying in Iyoki.

Regards,

Hello,
Welcome to Expat.com. Well i worked in Lagos, Nigeria for couple of years and back to Qatar after my contract successfully in Nigeria.

Nigeria is very good country, every moment of i stayed in Lagos, i enjoyed, crime is every where even if you go to US you will find it, Nigeria is also something like that but not often, if we are good others will be good and vice-verse, I am sure what ever offer you got is must be better than Dubai.

If your job offer is in Lagos, there is a place known as Victoria Island is a well versed place, Lekki is the area you can find posh locality also there is 1004 Estate is secured estate, you can find almost expatriates there mostly Indians if you wish you can stay there, also there is a place known as Illupeju you can find complete Indian locality.

Hope it is clear now.

Regards,

Khan

@Bonney
so 2 years later please share your experience
Did you move? If so, How are you  finding  it?