Violence and Safety in Northern Mexico

Mexico needs help.  While living or travelling in resort areas remains safe for foreigners, for expatriates or travellers in the border states you should be careful.  Very careful.  I have travelled to every state in Mexico (a two-year journey) and have lived in Chihuahua for 8 years.  I have never been afraid for my safety or the safety of my family -- even during President Calderon's initial crackdown on drug cartels -- until recently.

I live in a gated neighborhood and drive only during daylight hours.  My travel is basically limited to work, the grocery store, friends' homes, and occasional weekend excursions with the kids.  We never go the restaurants or the movie theaters at night (thank God for cable).  Despite these limited activities, in the past year I have personally witnessed acts of brutal violence and chaos.  Below are some examples.

While waiting at a traffic light at 6:00 p.m. on some idle Thursday night some months ago, a saw two men gunned down in their car directly in front of me.  A masked gunman pulled up beside them, casually looked around and unloaded 2 clips from an AK-47 into the car, then simply drove away.  I was at a local convenience store one evening when a gun battle between rival cartels erupted in the parking lot.  I've seen bodies in the streets so freshly-killed that the police had not arrived.  If you ask anyone living in Chihuahua if they know someone who has been a victim of a violent crime, you will get a 100% affirmative response.  (With over 40,000 murders since 2006 this shouldn't be much of a surprise.)  I've had several former students killed or kidnapped.  It is not uncommon for some my students to wear GPS tracking bracelets on their ankes in case they are kidnapped.  Recently my wife's cousin was kidnapped for ransom, tortured, and shot.  More people have been killed in Mexico in the last 5 years than the Iraq and Afghanistan wars combined.

To be sure, crime has always been a problem in Mexico.  But now it is completely out of control.  Not just drug cartel crime, but carjackings, kidnappings, rampant extortion, home invasions, as well as an increase in property crimes.  Everyone is afraid: The poor, the growing middle class, and the rich alike.  You can see it in their faces and read it in their activites.  Thousands of businesses have closed because of extortion, and others have closed voluntarily (like restaurants) because their customer base  is too afraid to go out.  I do not exaggerate when I say that it feels like living in a war zone.  And I know because I've lived in some.

All of this begs the question: What is the answer to violence and insecurity in Northerm Mexico?  I'll admit that I do not know.  But what I do know is that Calderon's war has made things worse, not better, for the average person living here.  Ex-president Fox basically ignored the cartels -- other than the obligatory arrests of top members from time-to-time -- and there was peace.  The problem with aggressivley pursuing the cartels with all of the assets of the military and law enforcement is that the challenge can not solved with physical force.  The drug trafficking industry takes in billions of dollars every year, allowing the cartels to utilize sophisticated communication networks, intelligence networks, and even rudimentary levels of PR.  In a poor country where an average police officer makes a thousand dollars a month, they are experts at infiltrating local law enforcement.  In a country were 47% of the population lives below the poverty line and 18.2% live in abject poverty, it is not difficult to co-opt young people to work for you.  If you are a young person living in the all-too-familiar neighborhoods of Northern Mexican cities, with poor plumbing, dirt streets, and what is more, with no hope of a better future, getting paid well for simply watching for a certain car to pass by then inform your contact, is almost impossible to resist.  What is more, the opportunity for promotion is almost unlimitted.  The fact that the government is becoming adept at capturing and killing major cartel players is basically irrelevant.  There are ample people willing to take the next promotion.

The status quo of this cat and mouse game, given the vast amounts of money involved, unfortunately, can go on for the foreseeable future.  Most drug enforcement experts agree that the War on Drugs in the U.S. has been lost.  Many drugs are more available, more widely used, cheaper, and of higher quality than at any other time in history.  The supply will simply follow the demand.

All of this makes me sad because Mexico is such a fascinating country to live and work in, and the friendliest, hardest-working people in the world who have had to suffer so much poverty and bad governments, don't deserve this.  Perhaps one day things will be better.  I am not hopeful.

If you are travelling, working, or planning on visiting Northern Mexico, please be very careful.  Head the State Department's travel warnings.

Great anlysis.  People often say, "But the narcos don't target ordinary citizens or visitors."  While that's true, they are completely indiferent to human life.  I once saw a shootout at a carwash where two employees were killed in the crossfire.  There are basically three ways you can get killed, even if you take all the safety precautions recommended:
1.- Be in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Gunbattles are frequent, and both innocents and foreigners have been killed, including small children.
2.- Carjackings and violent robberies are common, even in broad daylight.  A close friend of mine sold his brand new SUV and bought a used Volkswagen Beetle to reduce the risk.
3.- If you own a business, are an executive, or are otherwise percieved to be wealthy, your chances of getting kidnapped rise exponentially.
4.- If your car or description match that of a rival gang member on a hit list, the gunmen are more likely to shoot first and ask questions later.  This explains why alot of good citizens with no ties to illegal activities have been murdered.

In addition to what glencito said, here are some other things you should consider to keep safe.
1.- Live in gated neighborhood with a security guard.
2.- Don't drive a "status" car or newer SUV.
3.- Keep a low social profile and be very careful who you sociallize with if you don't know them well.
4.- Don't advertise the sale of anything in the want adds, or if you do, arrange to meet the person interested in buying in a public place.  Criminals pretend to be potential customers and when you open your door, they robb you, and in all too-many cases kill you.

M. Foglio
Chihuahua

Right, people fear the cartels, but petty crime is the biggest risk for most extranjeros--and interfering or fighting can get a brutal response. On the one hand, we have some economic improvement in some areas. On the other, food prices in particular have upward pressure. Why let people eat corn when you can make fuel out of it? (!) So I agree that people should be strategic based on possible scenarios, and maintain good security and awareness of your surroundings. We're glad that Rosarito is safe (a relative term), but some healthy paranoia is in order. :rolleyes:

glencito wrote:

Great anlysis.  People often say, "But the narcos don't target ordinary citizens or visitors."  While that's true, they are completely indiferent to human life.  I once saw a shootout at a carwash where two employees were killed in the crossfire.  There are basically three ways you can get killed, even if you take all the safety precautions recommended:
1.- Be in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Gunbattles are frequent, and both innocents and foreigners have been killed, including small children.
2.- Carjackings and violent robberies are common, even in broad daylight.  A close friend of mine sold his brand new SUV and bought a used Volkswagen Beetle to reduce the risk.
3.- If you own a business, are an executive, or are otherwise percieved to be wealthy, your chances of getting kidnapped rise exponentially.
4.- If your car or description match that of a rival gang member on a hit list, the gunmen are more likely to shoot first and ask questions later.  This explains why alot of good citizens with no ties to illegal activities have been murdered.

In addition to what glencito said, here are some other things you should consider to keep safe.
1.- Live in gated neighborhood with a security guard.
2.- Don't drive a "status" car or newer SUV.
3.- Keep a low social profile and be very careful who you sociallize with if you don't know them well.
4.- Don't advertise the sale of anything in the want adds, or if you do, arrange to meet the person interested in buying in a public place.  Criminals pretend to be potential customers and when you open your door, they robb you, and in all too-many cases kill you.

M. Foglio
Chihuahua

I lived in Mexicali during a rough time when the narcos were fighting each other from just before 2005 until about 2 or 3 years ago, when things changed for the better. The Federal Police moved in in great force just over 3 years ago along with the help of the local military and things got pretty bad as far as me and my friends seeing lots of violence aimed at combating the  couple of cartels here, not to mention even more incidences in TJ, both police killings and State officials and the 2 cartels going after each other. The one thing now and going back to 6, 7 or 8 years ago was there was not the level of what you describe here regarding the average citizen and violent crimes against them. It existed but not at this level. At that time there were many news reports of things like the cartel members driving around Mexicali in black SUVs disguised as Federal Police, bodies found in the desert, gun battles at houses etc.

The good news is these days those days are more or less over in Mexicali and TJ has not been as bad. In TJ at one point in 2006 most of the higher up municipal police offices were assassinated etc. This is not happening now for 2 or 3 or 4 years. We still see many Federal Police in Mexicali but the news does not report much violence for the last couple of years. In the final reports back then it was revealed that most of the bodies found in the desert were from the different local narcos trying to take over the local market. So I feel things have changed because now in the states along the Rio Grande that have more crime related to local conditions maybe because the arrest and deaths of so many of the larger cartels members and seizures has left open avenues for others [former large cartel members, corrupt police included] that are more diverse and many more groups large in number and not under a central figure to make polices. Another thing reported is some of the fake roadblocks, home invasions and kidnappings are because these many cartels are stealing from each other and kidnapping members and sometimes torturing. killing and asking for ransoms, not related to locals except possibly if they were mistaken for someone they were after. Anarchy so to speak. Who really knows if the reported kidnappings and home invasions were not someone involved in crime and the reports don't mention or know the details. I personally would not buy an new $50,000 pickup, Expedition, Avalanche or Escalade and use dark tinted windows. Mexicali has changed a lot these last 3 years and hopefully soon your towns and cities will be back to normal.

This video of past Mexican President Vincente Fox's recent speech in the USA is interesting.

http://c-spanvideo.org/program/Vicen