Is it possible to find a job in Mauritius without knowing French?

Hi,

I was wondering if I could find a job here without being fluent in French. I am permanently settled in Mauritius but most vacancies advertised seem to require a good knowledge of French. If it is necessary, is there somewhere you could learn the language apart from Alliance Francaise because the fees they are charging is a bit high.

Thanks.

Hi,

the main question is: what kind of job are you looking for?

Ive struggled finding a job (and i'm a business analyst), so ive started taking french lessons from a lady in Albion, i can email you her contact details. She's between Rs200-Rs300 and comes to your house if you want her.
Its tough getting a job, if youre not dealing with the language barrier, you dealing with work permit barrier.
Good luck and shout if you need her details.

Thanks for your replies.

Xoli,  I do not need a work permit, I am the spouse of a Mauritian citizen..could you post the phone no. for the tutor? Thanks.

Julien, I am an Internal Auditor and apart from professional Accountancy and Internal Audit and IT Audit qualifications, I have two other degrees- one in Law & the other in Science. Even though I am prepared to start at a very junior level, and for any decent salary (since money is not my main concern), I just cannot understand if what I need is a knowledge of French or some "contacts" to be able to find a job.

Dear Xoli and Namitaa

It would be most inelegant from my side not to express my appreciation for the high level qualifications you both possess.

I am Human Resource Consultant, and I can assure you that though knowledge of French is a significant advantage in securing a job, for sure it is not compulsory.

By the way, there are some openings which could be interesting to both of you. I wish to point out that I am NOT a Recruiting Agent, but merely come across openings and offers during my missions.

Cheers

Vayid

Good Morning,
I was just reading all the comments as I had the same questions in mind.

My husband has left and is currently looking for work while staying with my brother in law on the island.

I am qualified in Insurance as was just wondering if anyone would be able to give me any advise on looking for work.

I should be arriving on the island in the next 2 months or so.

Thanks.

Hello

If anyone interested in accounting position from assistant accountant to senior accountant, send me a message.

You need to be someone with good communication skills (english or french) and have a passion for accounting and dealing with numbers.

Experience in french accounting is also welcome.

If you interested , please send me a message.

Hi David43,

You should post this advert in the Mauritius classifieds > job section. Thank you.

HI,

i just read the comments mentioned above, and i have the same question in my mind, i have MBA degree in human resources, fluent in English, but unfortunately do not know french! so, is the English language sufficient to fine the job in Mauritius, or french is a must!, thank you.

Though knowledge of French is a significant advantage in securing a job, for sure it is not compulsory, especially when you work in certain high level organisations.

Still to be a successful Human Resource Manager you need to know the different laws related to Labour and Employment in Mauritius.

Best of luck in your search

Cheers

Vayid

thanks a lot mr vayid for this piece of information and nice wishes.

REGARDS

RAHGEB.