Hi everyone, considering a 6 month working holiday. Looking for advice

Hi there. Any advice welcome im just looking for a bit of help for my trip.

Bit of background. Currently just left university and looking to head over to Aus and experience life outside my small town. Was hoping to head somewhere hot and near the coast. Im not really into the big city life so first piece of advice id like is where should i head. Through the research i have done i think queensland would be an area id like to visit. Somewhere like Coolanga or somewhere with a nice surf etc, any ideas?

Next question
Im hoping to come as soon as the visa process will allow but travelling alone and away from family for the first time im concerned about Christmas on the other side of the world. Does anyone have any experience of this? Im seriously considering holding off until January for this reason.

Final question (sorry for long post)
Im pretty skint and will need to get a bank loan to come. Is there much chance of finding a stable job for the 6 months giving me the security of permanent accommodation etc.

Thank you in advance :)

Hi Tracy11/12!

Welcome to Expat.com ;)

Armand

Hey Tracy,

I haven't lived in Australia for a year now but jobs are a lot easier to get there than the rest of the world.  In Queensland you should be able to get work in a bar or restuarant.  My sister got work at a resort in Queensland and was provided accomodation,  maybe dinner sometimes and the minimum wage. That was a while ago though but it is probably the same.

I'd search the internet for the resorts and hotels in Queensland and they usually have a "jobs" link or just send an email and enquire into their hiring practices.

Cairns is a nice place (surrounding areas like Cape Tribulation etc etc) but I don't think the surf is very good there unless its cyclone season.  If you love surfing then probably the Sunshine coast or Southern Queensland.

If you don't like big cities and are into nature you would love Tasmania,  it would be a lot colder than Queensland though and I'm not sure if it would be as easy to get a job,  not sure.  I am not a surfer myself but I think the surf is a lot better in Tasmania than Queensland which might be a big plus for you.

For accommodation you could look at

http://www.realestate.com.au/rent
OR
http://www.domain.com.au/

There are plenty of hostels you could stay at until you find more permanent accommadtion and a lot of people find others in the same situation and share a place together.

Not sure what your asking about with the working visa issue and Christmas but I know if you are getting a work visa for Australia from Italy it starts the date you arrive in Australia not the date you recieve the visa.  Is this what you were asking?

Good Luck

Hi Tracy

If you have a few skills up your sleeve I am sure you will find work easily as the recession hasn't had nearly the effect on Australian job market that it has elsewhere.

To get a working holiday visa you have to be able to prove that you have a certain amount of money though, about £3,000 from memory, so you may want to get your loan sorted a few months ahead of applying for the visa so that you can show a healthy bank balance if asked!

Good luck & have a great time!

Liv.

ps. No surf in Cairns, but lots of jellyfish and crocs! Think you'd be better off further south if you want surf.