Public transportation in Barranquilla

Hi all,

What do you think about the means of transportation in Barranquilla ?

Is the network of means of transportation well developed?
What modes of transport are available?

Do you use them?

How much is a fare?

Are they relatively safe?

What is the mean of transportation you use the most in Barranquilla?

Thanks in advance for participating!

This post is really old but I am kinda bored.

Transportion in Barranquilla is actually surprisingly nice.  They have their normal buses that cost 1,500 pesos (about 75 cents US) on normal days and 1,600 pesos on Sundays and holidays.  They go just about every where and if you ask the bus driver if they pass by a certain landmark they are usually nice about letting you know where they pass by.

There is also the Transmetro, this is a new and REALLY nice bus system!  It uses a card system, so you have to buy a card (2,000 pesos) and then recharge it.  It is a more direct bus system, picks you up in a certain spot and will only stop at certain places (as opposed to the other buses that will pick you up where ever you wave them down and drop you off whenever you hit the button).  Transmetro costs 1,700 pesos everyday but they are new and clean buses AND they have air conditioning.

Then there are the taxis.  Taxis are nice here in Barranquilla.  You can usually get anywhere that takes less than 10 minutes to get to for about 5,000 pesos ($2.50US).  The most I have ever paid is $25,000 but that was from the Airport which is way in the south and I live farther in the north.  You will never pay less than 5,000 pesos for a taxi.  It is best to call and get a legit taxi (322-2222 or 386-8686) but I have never had any problems just flagging them down.

There have been rumors of people getting mugged in taxis here but I have been here for 7 months and have never had any problems.  Same goes with buses, but that is pretty normal for buses I think.  I have never had any problems personally.

Thank you for your contribution Greeneyedguy23! :)

Aurélie