Public transportation in Cali

Hi all,

What do you think about the means of transportation in Cali ?

Is the network of means of transportation well developed?
What modes of transport are available?

Do you use them?

How much is a fare?

Are they relatively safe?

What is the mean of transportation you use the most in Cali?

Thanks in advance for participating!

Bus would be the most common form of transportation.  Here in Manizales, Cali the larger buses cost 1.4 mil and the smaller shuttle bus cost 1.5 mil.  This is the safest means of travel but their are the rare late night bus hold ups along the less traveled roads around the city at night. 

All buses are clearly labeled on where they go and are colored (blue, red, white, green) to help you determine which is the right one for you.  Each color has it's own route that it takes. 

Taxi is the fastest but will cost a minimum of 3.2 mil but rarely ever cost more then 8 mil.  I would say taxi travel is safe about 95% of the time.  There are reports from time to time of people getting mugged in taxis.  It is always safest to call the taxi service when needing a taxi, but not that easy when you are standing roadside. 

In Manizales we also have Ski Carts that take you to key areas in the city.  This is a fun way to get around as you can take in the city and landscape views but are very limited on where you can go. 

As for the transportation I use most, it would be 50/50 between bus and taxi.  If you are traveling with 2 or more people, then taxi is might be cheaper or just dollar or 2 more and well worth it. 

However you should know that most bus and taxi drives in Colombia do drive like 16 year olds!  They drive fast and will weave in and out of traffic and going through some of the "goat trail roads" in Manizales it can be a bit like a roller costar ride.  Also bus drivers will often start moving right after you step onto the bus.  So be sure to hold onto the railing when getting on and when getting to your seat.

I hope this helps!

Michael

Hi Michael!

Thank you very much for your help ;)

Armand