Public transportation in Gothenburg

Hi all,

What do you think about the means of transportation in Gothenburg ?

Is the network of means of transportation well developed?
What modes of transport are available?

Do you use them?

How much is a fare?

Are they relatively safe?

What is the mean of transportation you use the most in Gothenburg?

Thanks in advance for participating!

>What do you think about the means of transportation in Gothenburg ?
>Is the network of means of transportation well developed?

Downtown it's usually quicker to walk short and medium distances during the day than to take public transport. At night the waits can be long, weeknights you may be stranded after 12:30 a.m.. Weekend nights you can get home, although between 4-5 a.m. the traffic mostly stops. System of bikepaths fairly well developed, used bikes are generally expensive though. Since this spring there are rental bikes throughout the city. Sidewalks can also get you almost anywhere, pedestrians have the right-of-way at crosswalks (but still make eye contact with driver to make sure they're slowing down - almost all stop anyhow).

>What modes of transport are available?

Trams and buses are main options if you don't want to bike or walk.

>How much is a fare?

Single ticket in Gothenburg: 21 SEK for 90 minutes. 16 SEK if you buy it with a 100 SEK card that you can get at many kiosks. You have to pay double at night (after 12 a.m.).

30 day Gothenburg card: 445 SEk, 335 SEK for youths (under 26), but you have to pay extra for night traffic (after 12 a.m.).

There are many other ticket options, such as 1 or 3 day cards: http://www.vasttrafik.se/en/
Be careful with showing in the card when you get on and off, the new system has been confusing for many people.

Prices increase if you travel to zones outside the city.

>Are they relatively safe?

After ten p.m (even on weeknights) the volume level often increases on many routes. People become outgoing and obnoxious (i.e. drunk), but this is relative to Scandinavian standards. I would say all lines are relatively safe to travel alone on at all times of day as long as you are aware of your surroundings.

>What is the mean of transportation you use the most in Gothenburg?

I prefer walking or biking anywhere and use those means as much as possible wherever I am.

Thanks for your post NotesfromtheNorth !