Public transportation in Brussels

Hi all,

What do you think about the means of transportation in Brussels ?

Is the network of means of transportation well developed?
What modes of transport are available?

Do you use them?

How much is a fare?

Are they relatively safe?

What is the mean of transportation you use the most in Brussels?

Thanks in advance for participating!

I have found trains in Brussels Area to be rather unclean however they seem to put more money into the train system the further into flanders they are nicer. Train fair is ok you can get a local 10 trip card for 20 euros and you can use it in one zone thats around 5 towns in one city

I find the Metro system in Brussels pretty easy to use and it's usually a very reliable service.  Cleanliness and age of the carriages do vary though.

I've occasionally used the tram, which yet again, is pretty reliable.

Sometimes I commute between where I live in East Flanders and Brussels and find the service reasonably priced and satisfactory.

They can be dalays on train to as mast few times i got the train brssuels area i have been unlucky enought to find sucides

There's train delays in all countries, they're not exclusive to Belgium. ;)

Yes I know that lol I just meant that recently they have been a lot due to suicides shame really

In my experience, the public transport system in BE is great.

However due to my experince today lol as I dont speak much dutch that the trains actually split half way through a jerony and one half going else were as this all most happend to me today and Iwas sat on the wrong half

Hahaha yes, I had a similar experience on a train that stopped in Denderleeuw, part of it split off and was heading to Aalst whilst the other section of the train was heading to Brussels.

There was no tannoy announcement informing the passengers about what was happening either (I guess the locals are used to this sort of thing?) but luckily enough I was in the right section.

There was an anouncement for me but I didnt understand it. The horror and confusion on my face was perhaps funny running down the train while they were blowing the whistle

Bloody hell, that sounds like a nightmare scenerio! :blink:

I'm by no stretch fluent in Flemish/Dutch, but I can usually get the jist of the tannoy announcements (or so I think?) even if I don't fully understand the language word by word....yet. ;)

Well I know now and will never make that mistake again lol

I used the 'peasant wagon' (AKA the bus) to travel between Schepdaal and Ninove last friday, it's not something I'd like to do in a regular basis!

The fares are cheap enough though.

lol Peasent wagon lol love that saying. Yeah i used one or Kortjirk it was ok very small