Internet service in Cancun ?

Hello- I am considering moving to Cancun and I have many questions, of course, but I suppose this would be first and foremost! I work as a scopist, which involves receiving files over the internet, editing them, and returning them over the internet (fileshare). So- how available, affordable and reliable is internet service there? I would need it in the residence, not a cafe.. Also, I have read that visas are harder to get if you are self-employed.. any advice on these areas would be greatly appreciated- thanks!!

my entire job depends 100% on internet reliability.  I have gone through 3 different internet providers in the last 2 years that I have lived in Cancun and I finally found one that is pretty darn reliable.

Cablemas which provides both TV and internet.   They want about 50 bucks for a cable modem/ 5 megs or at least that is what I paid at the time.   Service was hit and miss and when it missed i would be down for several hours which turned out to be expensive.   I still use there TV service which has the most channels in English vs other tv providers.

Telmex is the biggest one and the most common.  It is like the AT T of Mexico.  It is also the cheapest.  I think I paid 75 bucks for both unlimited calls to the US on the phone and 5 megs on a dsl modem.    It proved to be spotty.  It would only drop for a couple minutes, but dropped all the time.

I am with Axtel now which is an antenna.  I was kind of nervous about it, but it has worked out great.  It is about 5 megs which is kick butt by Mexico standards.  I pay about 60 USD for phone and internet.  it is super consistant.  I have only lost signal like twice in 6 months.  pretty good.   

I know I use internet to send files back and forth to the US, operate my ip over internet over phone, watch movies etc.

Hope this helps

Excelente! Not too bad at all.. You are the man, expatcraig- thanks so much for the reply and the useful info.. I shall continue my planning :)
And I'm sure I will be be back here with more questions for you!