Singapore Housing Questions

Hi -

My wife and I are considering moving to Singapore in the next few months. We want to rent a 2BR flat, and we're open to both condos and HDB's. We don't need amenities like tennis courts or a pool. For us, we would prefer to be in a happening neighborhood and close to the MRT and/or Bus. We are in our early 30's and don't have kids.

1. Can you recommend the best neighborhoods to target? It doesn't need to be an expat neighborhood, but some place with plenty of local culture, restaurants and pubs. I would prefer to avoid the heavy tourist areas. I've heard good things about Holland Village, Clementi and Siglap and Katong?  Thoughts?

2. What range of prices will we expect to pay for a 2BR in the neighborhood that you recommend? If you could give me an idea of both the Condo and HDB price that would be very helpful as well.

Cheers
outernational

Hi,

You can check rental rates at propertyguru.com.sg gives you detailed descriptions of property (facilities/proximity to transport services) and you can search by district as well.

Prices can be extremely varied by locations / proximity to amenities etc. You can expect a minimum of around S$1800-2000/month for a two BR-HDB. Add another thousand for the minimum on a condo. The end range would be around 2/2.5 times the minimum. 

Siglap and Katong have lots of dining options and are very lively districts. Holland Village as well, but it's more an expat district and prices are likely to be much higher there. Clementi I don't really know much about.

Thank you very much for the detailed information.:)