Some questions about Asunicon

Hello!

At the last 1-2 weeks I was looking for apartment rent prices, but I didn't find any good website. I would like to rent an apartment in the Centre of Asuncion with minimum 2 bedrooms. How much do you think it start from?

numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=Paraguay&city=Asuncion
Are these prices real? Should I count with them?

How much about minimum wage and average salary in Paraguay?

Thank You!

Best regards,
Gabor

Gabor,

A good source of apartment information is the on line classified ads at this web site:

clasipar.paraguay.com

Prices from the web site you listed look pretty reasonable, although maybe a little low for apartments.  And I'm sure these prices are for unfurnished apartments only.

Prices for food seem about right, maybe a little higher than you can find.  Automobile price is way to low - a 15 year old used Volkwagen may cost $15,000, certainly not a new one.

Hi Gabor,
i find prices provided by the site provided by majbjg rather high comparing with local newspapper clasified adds

clasificados.abc.com.py/rubro.php?rubro=CL30&subrubro=CL3004

look for "centro" or call for details.  normally 500 USD plus.  you need to account 2 and 1/2 times rent upfront for deposit, charges and one month in advance. 

better to come here stay somewhere pension or cheap place and look yourself rather than arranging something online...

almost no apartments are rented fully furnished. you can find cheap furniture easily.

regarding minimum wage, it is 450 USD or so the legal minimun wage or G. 1.611.000 something.  Average salary, well 1,500 USD for professionals would be minimum most probably 2,000 USD / months of course other might differ but I would certainly not work for less than that.

best,

capelo- Really? Cheap furniture? I have not found that to be the case at all, where would you suggest? In the US we have so many places where we can get 2nd hand furniture for free or close to it. Here I saw a wreck of a table being sold for $50! I would have paid 10 max for it! But, I have seen the trend that most furniture is more expensive (yes, I am including clasipar in that opinion- I have often seen 2nd hand items being sold for nearly the same price as new goods cost!). A sofa set (sofa and 2 chairs) cost my father-in-law 950.000 guaranies (that being a "special deal" from a friend of his). That's nearly $250- cheap for a new set, yes. But the quality is absolutely HORRIBLE. We're not hard on our furniture by any means, and it's already torn a big hole in it. So, there's that to consider as well. The quality of what you get for the price is by no means comparable.

Also capelo, I am sure a professional from the US could get a good job such as you mentioned, as indeed, native-English speakers are highly in demand. However, I think you also need to know people in a lot of jobs to be successful in getting the position. (My good friend has a masters in teaching science- ASA needed a science teacher. She didn't even get a phone call! I find that hard to believe, when you have someone completely qualified AND a native English speaker!)

What sort of jobs or companies are you referring to? I'm not trying to disagree with you by any means! I've read your other posts and know you're much more knowledgeable about the country than myself! But I am honestly anxious to hear your answer. I have been here a year and I find the living conditions to be extremely harsh. My mother visited and said the same thing- everyone kept telling her she'd be able to live cheaply while she was here. She disagreed after visiting- the prices for a meal, food, etc are really quite comparable to the US (or, in many cases such as I mentioned with furniture, higher), while the typical wage is much less.

Yes, granted, you can get an empanada for 1 or 2 mil... but you can't really survive on fast food like that. I have done all I can to cut food costs, and am still stuck at about 20.000 a day for lunch. If I have bread left over from the day before, and we don't eat any meat, we might be able to do 10.000. But it's the rare day that happens, even eating as simply as possible. Throw in another 10.000 or so for dinner, and we've got at least 20.000 a day. We rarely eat breakfast. $5 doesn't sound like much, but most days, do as I will, it's more like 10. And, I am lucky to have a "professional" job, yet $10 a day is more than I can afford. I am making nowhere near what you mentioned unfortunately, as I need to have flexible hours to care for my son. And Maxwell, flexible hours are one thing you won't find in most Paraguayan jobs- they require you to work long hours Mon-Fri, plus half a day Saturday.

I am fortunate that apart from food, my costs are only the utilities and "other" (baby formula, dog food, vet bills, lots of bus fare, fees for my permanent residency paperwork, etc). No rent to pay, luckily. And the great thing about Paraguay in comparison to the US is the low cost of health care- we go to Hospital Regional in Luque, which is free. But, a lot of times their pharmacy is out of the medicine we need, and that adds up too. Simple things for colds due to the weather over the winter, my husband's asthma, etc.

Anyways, anyone who has money will do just fine coming to Paraguay. Anyone without money who wants to come for the lifestyle- the cost of living keeps rising, and the value of the dollar has decreased. It's not a good combination. My husband and I had planned to stay here in Paraguay for quite a bit longer before moving to the states, but we're now looking at going in the next few months. Try as we might, we're just not making it in Paraguay's current economy. I had seen an article previously stating that Asuncion was one of the cheapest places in the world to live, based on cost of living. I don't see how that could possibly be. I've lived in Mexico, and the prices there are much less.

Anyways. Sorry to go on and on about my situation, but, I want to give a realistic picture of the actuality of life in Paraguay. If you're fortunate and get a job that pays 1500-2000 dollars a month, boy, you'll be set! But if you don't have a great job like that, be careful before moving here. I love Paraguay. I love the people here. I love the laid-backness of the culture. But, economically, Paraguay is not (in my humble opinion) all people make it out to be.

hi melusine,
I thought the question was "average salary" for professionals in Paraguay.  That was what I answer.  I am not an expatriate.  I am from Asuncion, Paraguay.  I am Economist and studied here in Asuncion.  I meant the "average salary" of my collegues from my class there.  Also, I meant "average salary" of my former school collegues.

I am not talking about "average salary" that an expatriate can get when coming here.  I had lived in England and there is no way you would get what they get as "foreigner".  Maybe it is harsher for expatriates and again, I am talking about "average salary" a Paraguayan with university degree and holding a master on a foreign country would get.

Actually, I get much more that what I stated as "average".  But again, I consider what I said to be "average" for Engenieers, Architects, Agro Engenieers, etc. There is no way a teacher would get that much.

Sorry to hear that it is not working for you.  I hope things get better relocating in the States.

Best,

Regarding cheap furniture, there is a place called Hidalgo on Hernandarias parallel to Colon and General Diaz or around.  dining tables, desks, etc. second hand too.

For sommier beds, ATLAS several branches on of them on Eusebio Ayala by the Mercado 4.

But again, I am not an expatriate so when I say "cheap" it is comparing other places in Paraguay like shopping centres, etc.  It is better to take all what I say as LOCAL not as expatriate.