Wife wants to transfer to Singapore? Help?!

I'm currently employed in a decent software engineering company in Perth, Australia.

I recently got married to an Indonesian girl and just found out that it may take up to 12 months for her to be granted residency here in Australia. That means 12 months of long distance... We have had enough of long distance and are at a loss of what to do.

She has the option to relocate to Singapore from her Indonesian office (Jakarta) as a Marketing Manager in an international company  with a decent salary ($5000 net per month). After a year she would be also able to transfer to the UK (our dream is to live in Switzerland, at least it's a step closer).

She is asking (begging?) me now to resign and relocate there with her. I just spent a year in Jakarta working remotely and found the experience less than desirable (to say the least). I think Singapore is a slightly more enjoyable city but I find it boring, super conservative, too humid, and from what I hear they work you to the ground.

Now I've reached a stale mate and am completely unable to decide whether to make the move or not, and it's driving me crazy.

I would love to hear other peoples perspective on the issue, even just some words of wisdom would help right now.

Hi mzanin and welcome to Expat.com!

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Hope that other members will advise you soon, and that everything will be alright.

Harmonie.:)

A time apart is a real test for the quality of a relationship.
Of course you may not want such a test right now.

I personally find Singapore better than Jakarta in every respect. It's just as humid, not at all boring and much easier to live in for a non-local (in fact probably for everyone).
S$5000 is o.k. for a young couple to live on, even if you don't work (you wouldn't be allowed to work remotely for your Australian employer - and unlike in Indonesia it is NOT a good idea to break such rules in Singapore!).
I don't find the work environment too stressful (Japan and Korea was much worse!) but of course it ain't Jakarta.

In the end it boils down too how much and which kind of strain you want to put into your relationship right now. Multicultural couples can have the best or the worst of both worlds - it's up to you!