Hello!

Hi, I just want to introduce myself on the forums to hopefully make some new friends.

I moved from the UK to Belgium around 18 months ago and currently live in the Gent area, I'm still struggling with the language even though I currently attend lessons.
I've yet to meet any UK ex-pats in Belgium apart from a couple of tourists, though it would be great to meet up and share a few tips/stories!

Hello VinceUK and welcome to Expat.com!

I hope that you will have a lot of nice contacts here.

Harmonie.:)

Hey, welcome aboard. (=

Did you check out :  meetup.com/ (in your locality obviously)  it's quite a good resource for finding people with similar interests, language exchange etc.

Also, there's this group on Facebook but it says it is soon to be archived... facebook.com/group.php?gid=14374445386

Vince there isnt much on Meet up .com alrady tried it as Ive been in Gent now about 2 months were in UK you from and why gent

Also were r your lessions I start mine next week

Im originally from the Kent/East Sussex area, and now living in Wetteren (10 mins outside Gent)

I'm currently attending admimistratief nederlands in Dendermonde until November, and afterwards another course in Sint-Niklaas.

Well Vince,

there will probably be a lot of people going to Dendermonde soon because of the tv show on VTM every Tuesday and Thursday called "mijn restaurant" (mijn meaning mine). Five couples are offered a restaurant in five Flemish cities. In the end only one couple gets to keep "their" restaurant. The restaurant in Dendermonde is situated behind the town house, just across the water on the corner. Maybe something to check out, if you don't mind the cameras.

Okies cool mines in Gent Zuid so ill see how it is the frist one may be a alittle easy for me but it should give me a bit more confidence of speaking better thus easeing me into it. As I said before living in Nazareth so I think its the other side of Gent to you. I used to live in Stockton on Tees North East England Newcastle way basically. How have you found Belgium so far and was it for work you moved or other reasons.

I came to Belgium originally for work but since then the company I worked for went bankrupt, so at the moment I'm looking for work whilst attending the language courses in Dendermonde.
And yea I'm just the other side of the E40 from Nazareth roughly about 20 mins by car, I'm finding Belgium good so far and the general attitude from the natives is quite pleasant though I do find it sometimes frustrating when people insist on speaking English to me.
My Dutch is at a level where-as I can understand 75% of the conversation but my speaking is very poor and I struggle to form sentences mainly because I lack confidence!

Yeah  same here I understand a lot more than a speak so this lang course should get me speaking i no so many ramdom words to