Moving to Abu Dhabi in August

Hey everyone!

I am no stranger to living abroad and am making the move to Abu Dhabi this August. There seems to be a lack of info out there on life in Abu Dhabi, making friends, things to do, and so on. I was just wondering if anyone out there could shine a light

Thanks!

Hey Shells,

What questions do you have? There's tons to do here. I just moved in January and have a full diary most of the time.

Lori

Hey Lori :)

I'm moving to Abu Dhabi not knowing a soul so I guess where do people usually hang out? Or where is a good place to meet new people with diverse interests? I'm in my early 30s and not necessarily interested in going out and getting trashed every weekend (which seems to be the norm in the other countries I've lived in). Where are the good shopping areas? What's dating like in Abu Dhabi? Was it easy to adjust to living there? I've been to Dubai and around the Middle East so I'm not worried about cultural differences or anything like that..hmmm I guess I'll start there but I'm sure I'll think of lots more things I'm curious about as my moving date approaches :)

Hi Shells,

People hang out at all the usual places for a city. One of my favorite places is the beach. I live close to the Corniche so I can just walk over any time. I like the Ladies Beach which costs 5dh to use. They have life guards and security.

There are some great expat bars around. Depending what you like as far as music, there is a good variety from Jazz to Techno.

In my husbands company, there are a lot of varied age groups. We all get together and mix at least once a month.

As far as getting trashed here... don't worry they are very strict. If you appear drunk in public and take a taxi home, you most likely are going to end up in the jail. Drinking in public is not tolerated. (There is more on that I will post later.)

Shopping areas... We don't have the souq like Dubai does, but then Dubai is only an hour and one half from here. We do have good malls and fruit and vege souq as well as the meat and fish souqs.

Dating here is complicated... Cohabiting is not permitted and if you do so (there will probably be some of this in your contract) you will get deported and fined and your company will get fined also. Since I am married, I will ask some of my younger friends (I am 45) about that. Holding hands and kissing in public will also result in jail time and much embarrassment.

I have had a very easy time adjusting to life here. Much better than some of my friends who have lived internationally.  This is my first overseas move and probably by biggest adventure. I consider myself shy, but others say different lol.

When you get here, your company probably will offer a relo tour... If you want one from me, I would be happy to take you around and show you the Abu Dhabi I have fallen in love with.

Shells,

I moved here in August of last year. The hottest time, but at least you will get the worst out of the way in the beginning. Then you have Ramadan around September which has its own challenges.

Downtown is fun with plenty of resorts where expats gather. You can join a resort as a "club" member and have use of the facilities there without having to be an overnight guest.
Lot's of concerts and events, too.

Abu Dhabi kind of dies in the Summer though as it is too darn hot and humid to spend anytime outside. A lot of expats take their annual leave back in their home countries during this time.

Abu Dhabi does get kind of boring sometimes but it is a good base to travel from. I went to Cairo last week, a 4 1/2 hr flight! London is 8 hrs, Bangkok is 5 hrs, well you get the idea.

Read my blog for the trials and tribulations of my move here from North America

http://expatuae.blogspot.com/

PM me if you have any specific questions.

Hi Ace,

That was the reason I picked Abu Dhabi because of it's location. I lived in Asia for 5 years and it was a great spot for traveling everything was pretty close. My best friends live in Cairo and Libya so I wanted to be close to them too :) I realize that August is going to be ridiculously hot so I'm hoping to prepare myself by wearing hoodies and sweats all summer long here before I move. Sounds like there are some fun activities so I'm looking forward to that. I was told I need to get a liqour license to purchase alcohol in a store..do you know anything about that? Alcohol isn't a big concern for me but I don't think I could part with my occassional glass of wine :) Thanks for the info I'll check out your blog. :)

Hi Lori,

I arrive a week or two before I start working and I know my school has a lot of events planned to get us settled and used to Abu Dhabi which should be fun :) I just may take you up on your offer though :)

Hey Shells

Abu Dhabi is a pretty nice place and a lotsa gud times are waiting for u. The beach in Abu Dhabi is really beautiful, nd the pubs r also nice. U have a lot to see in Dubai also. The only problem in this place is that u have b careful that the fun doesnt go out of limit cos that can bring a lot of trouble. Rest everything is very nice. Please reply if u wanna kno nething specific.

Hey Shells, I'm a 32 y.o. Canuck also living in Abu Dhabi since September 2008.  May I ask what brings you here?

Anyway, I think there are a few things you should know off the bat.  First, this country is pretty nice to live in, no doubt about it.  But don't be fooled into fairytalish thinking.  Be prepared to be extremely frustrated for the first few months until you are settled and used to what you have.

You can forget about the little comforts of Canada, like online shopping, or helpful salespeople, or real sales, or cheap good meals, etc.  Forget about common courtesy or pedestrians first.  These are old ideals you will only revel in when you go home to visit your folks (as I'll be doing in 2 months).

Of what I listed above, the most important is road safety.  Ok, driving here is stressful!  People all speed, from scooters and Nissan Tiida's to V12 Mercedes.  People will not let you change lanes even if you signal.  You have to become aggressive fast, or they'll eat you alive.  You have to keep your eyes open all the time because danger is lurking at every corner.

If you for some god-forsaken reason need to walk, pray.  No seriously, be very very very careful crossing streets, especially watch out for those that are doing U-turns at the traffic lights, and those making a right at the separate "make a right only" lane.  They will not stop for you.

When it comes to shopping, I honestly don't buy anything here when it comes to clothes.  I save it for my trips to US or Canada.  Nothing beats the prices there.  I buy essentials here, such as furniture, electronics, etc.  Be prepared to be shocked by how much everything costs compared to North America.  Piece of advice:  Stop making comparisons.  If something here is not 30% more expensive, then it's not expensive.  Salespeople are completely useless.  If you are looking for the latest LCD TV or new stereo, do your research online, write down the brand/model you want, and go buy it.  Don't bother ask employees for recommendations.  They all work on commission and compete against each others in the store.  I heard it many times "don't buy this, it's crap, buy this".  I once got fed up and told him "how would your manager feel if I told him that you are denigrating his merchandise?" and left.  The only information you will get from salespeople is what's written on the price tag/info sheet.  They will literally read the features to you and not add anything past that.

OOOhhh perhaps even more important than anything is HAVING AN APARTMENT.  make sure 100% that your company is providing you with a place to live... a DECENT place to live.  Finding living here is very tough.  I have colleagues who have been living in hotels since August.

Parking in this city is HORRIBLE.  Where I live there's absolutely no parking.  If I go out at night, I usually have to wait for an hour to find parking when I get back home.  So this usually deters me from venturing out of my place when I find parking.

When it comes to grocery shopping, places like Carrefour and LuLu have pretty much everything you would expect a big Canadian supermarket to have. 

If you are buying fruits/vegetables, you have to get into the habit of weighing them at assigned weighing stations because they don't weigh them at checkout like we are used to.

Marina Mall is probably your best bet for shopping here.  It has a big Carrefour, and countless stores inside.  Avoid the Abu Dhabi Mall area like the plague because of neverending construction.  Khalidiya mall is not bad, and not too crowded. 

Some supermarkets have pork sections for "non-muslims only".  However unfortunately someone thought it would be funny to play a joke on us and shut down all pork sales during the swine flu crisis, so no eggs and bacon for me for a while.

Some good places for eats are at the many 5-star hotels.  That's where you will find your bars and alcohol as well.  Most of them are along the corniche area (the coastline) on the Abu Dhabi island.  My favorite is Shangri-la hotel, which is just outside the city.  It's gorgeous, and so much fun to hang out there.  Has amazing restaurants too!

You can buy liquor at specialized liquor stores (kinda like Ontario hehe) but you need a "liquor license".  Your company should take care of this for you.  The selection of alcohol you can buy here is not bad actually.  Piece of advice:  Stock up at the airport as you are coming in.  You are allowed 4 bottles I think.  Really, stock up... believe me.  You will need it when you are stuck at home because you don't want to lose your parking spot haha!

One thing you won't find here is an inviting coffee shop.  Sure there are plenty of starbuckses and whatnot, but no atmosphere.  I guess you'll know what I'm talking about when you see them.

There are always cultural events here, concerts, exhibitions, sporting events, so you won't get bored.  But you really have to buy your tickets early, and you have to look for these things.  Just stay tuned to Radio 1 or Radio 2 and they usually have the news.

Bars wise, we usually go to Jazz bar at the Hilton, Hemingway's which is a pub at the same venue, a few bars at the Intercontinental, or to Pearl and Caviar at the Shangri-la.

Dubai is 1.5 hours away, and it's sooooooo much fun.  It's like a different world.  I try to make it there on weekends.  Really a pretty city.  Those that live there don't seem to agree, but for us weekend tourists it's just wonderful.  It's a different world of class.

Oh and as someone mentioned before me, the beach is pretty nice.  The corniche area has public beaches that are very well maintained and friendly.  The beach is split into a single men section, and a women and families section.  I guess it's to keep the perverts out.  They all have security personnel, lifeguards, and cost only 5 dirhams to enter (1 US dollar = 3.68 dirhams, it's a fixed exchange).

Anyhow, I don't mean to frighten you.  I truly enjoy living here, I just want you to be prepared mentally to what you are about to face.  Anything you need, do let me know.

Peace!

Hi Pent -

I've been to the UAE before and Egypt and some other countries in the area so I'm pretty up to speed on lifestyle, driving, all that crazyness. Thank you though for all the great information :)

I'm moving for work (nice big apartment included so no worries!)

Thanks!
Shells

I will move from AbuDhabi to Montreal in Aug 2009.
call me on my cell +971-50-6146193
If you need any advise or help.

Shells,

I think you read my blog so I guess you get a feel for my thoughts :-)

My wife is a member on http://www.abudhabiwoman.com/index.php which is a realy useful source of info....

Good luck!

Neil.

www.neilandcaz.blogspot.com

Hey I do read your blog :) Thanks for the link I'll check that out

Hi my dear
you will have so many to do here, sports ,meet up groups, hoppies,etc..
most of the people are expats here.
do not worry.

hi shellbells, stay tuned as more detailed sites are being developed on abu dhabi given the slow and steady growth. in fact, we are the dubai information site are launching a brand new section on abu dhabi next month. stay tuned for a wealth of information!

Shellsbells has a blog of her own now at:

http://snowflakeinthesand.blogspot.com/

I also have an Abu Dhabi blog at:

http://expatuae.blogspot.com/

I agree there is much info about Dubai and little about Abu Dhabi. Good time to get into the action of this ascending community. Good luck!