Health cover for italian citizens

hi everybody! i'd like to get some info on health coverage for italian people that lives in mauritius - are we covered in any way by the public system or is it better to get a private insurance?many thanks for your help, very much appreciated!!!francesca

Private Health insurance is not expensive here, you can get one for around EUR 50/month and use it at its partner clinics. Its a bit different to Europe with different kinds of limitations, but good to have. If you are a foreigner and not married to a mauritian and not a mauritian citizen - you are not covered to use public service - its for mauritians only. I enquired long ago for someone to have surgery here and they said its not possible for foreigners. So, thats my conclusion... If restrictions have changed or if expats have other rights in this aspect - i'll be happy to learn from others :)

thanks a lot for your reply! am married to a mauritian man so maybe i can avail of public health system..i'll get more info on private insurance as well!!!is there a few names you can advice of private health companies i can contact?  :)

i know a married couple where the husband is foreigner and wife mauritian, he had no problem in going to the public hospitals so it should be ok for you. I am so far happy with momentum Mauritius that is proposed by CIM. I have also good email contact with momentun which I appreciate. I like good quick email communication. But on the other hand i would advise you for example Oxygen plan from Swan or Mauritius Union - have a look at several companies, compare, and make your choice. Every company has their plus and contras.

many thanks for your help, i'll do some reserches as you advised!

what alternatives insurer does an expat has (not married to mauritian)?  what r the key differences/terms of an health insurance in mauritius compares to others?  How does it works?

Check out the local companies such as Mauritius Union, Albatross, CIM, Swan.
Differences to what i noticed are for example the terms:
Patient IN
Patient OUT
Limitations per year, for example a coverage for a certain amount per year, if you exceed this, you pay on your own.
And also excess which are a percentage amount which you have to contribute when you are a Patient OUT.

Check with those companies also for more details.

Thanks Dietmar, will check it out!  :)