South African woman wanting to tour Vietnam - your advice/suggestions?

I am planning to visit Vietnam early next year, I have heard the country and people are amazing, and the history around the Vietnam War is of great interest to me......I want to visit the war sites, memorials and museums.

I will be travelling alone and plan my trip over about 2 weeks.

I would appreciate any tips, advice or suggestions anyone could give me as to where I start, special sights to see, good (but cheap) accomodation, what to do or not to do ....etc

I visited Thailand this year, but understand Vietnam is quite different in many ways.........

Looking forward to replies.

Sheralee

Hello Sheralee, Yes Thaialand and Vietnam are quite different. A good place to start would be the war remnants museum in District 3 and then Cu Chi tunnels. The museum is walking distance from District 1(downtown hcmc). There are many travel agents all over the city to arrange Cu Chi tunnels and most hotels can organise it also. Getting information when you get here is easy and you will find everyone helpful to find what you need. I think with Vietnam its best to start running when you hit the ground here. Enjoy yout trip. Cheers.

Hi Sheralee,

Ho Chi Minh City, or Saigon, is the place to start.  The is that Presidential Palace there also, the place where Vietnameses and Americans used to climb to the roof top to catch the helo rides out of Vietnam.

From there, you can catch flights, train rides or bus rides, to anywhere in Vietnam.  Hue and Ha Noi also have some very good sights, of great historical significance.

Good luck.

Hello Sheralee

You can check xotours.vn/ website.
Hope you like this service.
Welcome to Vietnam next year  ^^

Welcome Sheralee

Indeed, Vietnam is an impressive destination for your journey. Over the years associated with the history and people of Vietnam and the nation's history is what many tourists want to explore.

I think with two weeks of your trip to Vietnam will be an exciting experience of your life.

I think you should be starting your journey to the first point of Vietnam in Hanoi - the capital of Vietnam, where you have many opportunities to explore the history and people of Vietnam, you can visit the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum - The great leader of the people of Vietnam, visited the Museum of Ethnology, Van Mieu Quoc Tu Giam - the first University of Vietnam, Tran Quoc Pagoda, Ngoc Son Temple or Hoan Kiem Lake. Also you can go to the villages in order to know about Bat Trang pottery, fired pottery ... .. one of the traditional villages of Hanoi
Besides Hanoi, you can go to Ha Long Bay - one of the natural wonders of the world recognized by UNESCO. Or to the imperial city of Hue to the many historic and famous attractions. In Hue you will be aware of the kings of Vietnam. From Hue you can come to Marble Mountain, Hoi An, My Son ... here are the attractions associated with the culture of the people of Vietnam ... .. To visit more meaningful, you go to Nha Trang - a coastal city of gentle, soothing the coast of central Vietnam. Coming to Nha Trang will be immersed in the space of the blue sea, white sand, sun, of natural scenery and romantic exploration of the world ocean and endless. Stay two days in Nha Trang, the final destination of your journey is Ho Chi Minh city - the largest economic center of Vietnam to see the excitement and dynamism of a city development. Far away from Ho Chi Minh about 50 km, you should visit the Cu Chi Tunnels - a revolutionary base during the Vietnam war. Here you will learn the historical struggle of the people of Vietnam.

I have some information to share to you so you can prepare for your trip very meaningful. WIsh you have a day with a lot of fun!

Hi Sheralee! welcome to Vietnam.
I live in Saigon, i learnt architecture , interested in Vietnamese culture and Saigon lifestyle. If you want to know about it, i cant share if you come Saigon. Have a exciting discovering trip.

Hi there!

I'm also new here in Vietnam. I stay in HCM City, and if ur planning for a tour around the city, Ill advice you not to ride the Ciklo or those 3 wheeled bikes in front of a Ben Thanh Market.
Me and my family have been fooled, not really a good experience for our first day but then Vietnam is beautiful and rich in culture. Enjoy but be aware.

Hi Deyadeya, thanks for you message, sorry to hear about your bad experience, I will be careful.

I hope to visit Vietnam in February next year, I will keep in touch.

Warm regards

Hi Sheralee,

Viet Nam, my country, is worth visiting indeed. If you need any support like translation and etc, feel free to contact me. This is, of course, free. However,I'll just available in evenings and weekend (because i have to go to work in daytime)

See you around

Hi My Thuong, thank you so much for your offer of assistance, I hope to be visiting soon............ I have heard your country is so beautiful and the people are so wonderful, I am sure its going to be a wonderful experience.

I will keep in touch.

PS Do you have any information or contacts for schools in Vietnam seeking english teachers?  I am thinking of taking a year to live in Thailand or Vietnam to teach english. I am not a qualified english teacher, but I have a degree and am a native english speaker.  If you know anything about this maybe you could give me some advice.

Take care and thank you again.
Sheralee