Formalities to bring your pet in Ecuador

Hi all,

What are the formalities and paperwork required to bring your pet in Ecuador?

How long do formalities & paperwork usually take in Ecuador?

What are the relevant authorities to contact?

Which vaccines are compulsory? Do your pets have to go in quarantine at their arrival in Ecuador?

Which advice would you give to the ones who would like to move with a dog, a cat or any other pet?

Thanks in advance for participating :)

Hi!
It would be a good idea to contact the Ecuadorian Consulate / Embassy in your current country of residence and ask them. They will be able to provide you with the information necessary to bring your pet to Ecuador.
Regards,

Victoria

Victoria,

I took your advice and called the Ecuador consulate in Chicago, since the office here in Atlanta seems to have closed.  The person who I spoke to on the phone was pleasant, but other than referring me to a website that is in Spanish (www.mmrree.gov.ec) she seemed very reluctant to answer any of the "preliminary" questions that I had. 

Can anyone who has already experienced bringing their pet to Ecuador provide some basic guidance, advice?  Please

I'm sorry you couldn't find an answer. I have a cousin who brought her dog to Ecuador like 2 years ago. She called Miami and they helped her, but I asked her and she can't remember what she had to do back then :(
Tried calling the US Embassy here in Quito? They could probably help you or get you in contact with someone who can....

Good luck,

Victoria

Hi,
Call the Embassy in Washington, DC.  I took my 2 dogs and a cat with no problems.  You need a $50 certificate from the Embassy that needs to be obtained within 10 days of travel (the $50 covered all three animals).  You need to send them a health certificate and shot record certificate from the Dept of Agriculture.  Pretty easy and the person at the Embassy spoke good English.  The person I spoke with was Marco Farfan
Watch out for the cane toads in Ecuador- dogs love to bite them and then they foam at the mouth and "trip" for a few hours- scary to watch.  Also, my cat caught a huge centipede and it bit her and she died. 
Mikie

Mikie wrote a good explanation about moving with pets.

My advice is check with the airlane too. Sometimes they have restrictions if the dog is too big, or the cage is too small for the dog.
Also maybe you can run into  trouble once you are in Ecuador and try to board an ecuadorian airplane.

Vinny

Aloha Julien, Vicky1985, Amazing1, Mikieemerson, and Vinny66:
And Pet Lovers All!
My husband and I live on The Big Island of Hawaii and brought our 3 dogs and cat over from the mainland US after having taken 4 of them from Hawaii there.     
Now we are seriously considering moving from Hawaii to Equador due to the lower cost of living compared to Hawai'i.  My shock when I read the blog from Mikieemerson about your cat eating a centipede! We get them here in Hawai'i. Biggest I have seen here in the country yet by the ocean were we live is 8 inches. However in Jamaica I saw on 3 FEET LONG!  So where in the scheme of things is the one you are talking about in your blog here??
Was it the red or purple kind or the black ones? 
How many do you see a year where you  live?  Do you see them inside? Outside or both?
Has anyone had trouble renting with animals? I mean nice decent homes?  We understand you can not buy unless you buy outright.
No bank financing there.  We own here but would not be able to make enough selling to buy outright there, so we'd have to become renters.  We want a nice hacienda with patios all around if we can, not just a shanty.  Lived in a thatch hut in JAmaica and hated the rats in the thatch. Any and all info, suggestions, and help is greatly appreciated!
Island Antoinette from The Big Island of Hawai'i.We are 55 year old retirees. My web site is: www.BestRockyMountainGoldens.com

This is the information you are looking for:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/regulations/v … ador.shtml

Your dog or cat needs to be seen by your vet and verified as healthy within 10 days of departure and those documents (which your vet will fill  out -- there is a standard form) will need to be reviewed and stamped by the USDA (US Department of Agriculture) which I believe costs $50 but when you get the address there will be a phone number to call to get the exact cost and if they take cash, credit card or checks -- you can find the closest one to you by doing a google search -- and then the documents need to go over to your local ecuador Consulate for their stamp of approval and I believe their fee is $37 (again do a google and call them to confirm).  You will want to do your mailing by Fed Ex or US Post overnight with a prepaid envelope enclosed so the turn around time is fast -- or if you live near either the USDA or Consulate office, walk the paperwork through. 

By the way, you will want to make a copy of the list of innoculations from the PDF on the site I listed at the top as some fo the innoculations are not necessary in the USA but required for entry here.  And also any of the shots that are given as combos (5 in 1 etc) have your vet spell out what medications are included so there is no ambiguity that your animal has all the proper innoculations.

On the up side, vet care here is much (and mean much much) less expensive than in the states and if you choose to feed your animal on either a raw diet or (what i prefer) a diet of cooked human grade food (chicken, fish, brown rice, cooked veggies like carrots peas and broccoli) it is very affordable and the dogs respond to it on an amazing level of health and vitality!

I get to enjoy that every day when the fur-kids Poochie and Gina and I go for our morning romp on the beach -- and that is worth everything!

Hoping that helps

Thanks for all the great info! Does anyone know the process for Canadian animals?

Thanks

We brought all 3 of our Golden Retreivers and Cat from the
mainland to Hawai'i.  Talk about expense and difficulty in
doing so.  Ours went smooth but still cost us about $1,000 per animal.  When we move to Ecuador we are looking forward to how just everything is cheaper!
Antoinette and Randale:)
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!