Formalities to bring your pet in Tunisia

Hi all,

What are the formalities and paperwork required to bring your pet in Tunisia?

How long do formalities & paperwork usually take in Tunisia?

What are the relevant authorities to contact?

Which vaccines are compulsory? Do your pets have to go in quarantine at their arrival in Tunisia?

Which advice would you give to the ones who would like to move with a dog, a cat or any other pet?

Thanks in advance for participating :)

Aslema Julien,

I brought my beloved adopted dog from USA to Tunisa. 3 flights! Charlotte-NYC, NYC-Paris, Paris-Tunis.

The paperwork difers from airline to airline. My dog traveled with Delta and Air France. Make sure you buy the tickets from the same carrier or partners, for instance, Delta-Air France are partners...but if you buy one ticket with Delta, another with Alitalia, and the last one with Tunisair, you will have to call all of them and have their specific paperwork.

What are the formalities and paperwork required to bring your pet in Tunisia?
- BEFORE YOU BUY THE TICKET. Make sure to mention you have a pet (in cabin, or cargo) ask about the costs and ask them to  the flights you will be having. Do so with more than 3 months in advance, and call them when the flight comes as well to remind them.
- You need an international health certificate signed by a vet within 2 weeks of the trip.
- Make sure the Rabies vaccination is updated. Less than one month! My dog had to take another shot before its time, but they require it.
-If you don't have the Schengen visa, be careful! Most connecting flights Europe-Tunis require that you check in your luggage again! They will put Fido in the luggage carousel and you better be there to pick him up! or your pet could get lost.
- Always tell the flight attendant that you have a pet in cargo.

How long do formalities & paperwork usually take in Tunisia?
..I haven't left Tunisia with my pet yet, but I will certainly read the regulations of the airline and make sure his vaccinations are up to date. I will update this post as soon as I leave Tunisia with my pet.

What are the relevant authorities to contact?
- Certified veterinarian, the Pet program of the airlines, reservation of the airlines (to make sure they have a spot for your dog and there aren't more dogs in the same flight, there is a limit of pets...first come first served).

Which vaccines are compulsory? Rabies definitively! And bring Frontline or other flea-thick control medication because they're not easy to find here.

Do your pets have to go in quarantine at their arrival in Tunisia? NO

Which advice would you give to the ones who would like to move with a dog, a cat or any other pet?

1. Have a folder with all the pet's records. (Health, updated picture, vaccinations, and the international health certificate).
2. Put his name on the cage and ALL THE FLIGHT NUMBERS, final destination, your info. Do this front, back, top, and both sides of the cage. My dog got lost in Paris and they could find him fast because I had his picture ID and the flight info.
3. If you are traveling for less than 3 months, try to find a sitter or a kennel. They won't feed or walk your pet during the flights, they will lock the cage and not all airlines are pet friendly. So try to travel with your pet if you will spend more time abroad. But don't give it up or abandon it. I consider myself lucky after all the horrific stories I've read about pets flying abroad.
4. Don't buy the ticket unless you have the spot for your pet first. Once they tell you that your pet is on file, you can go ahead and buy those tickets.

I hope this helps. :)

Angela Maria

Hello Angela Maria!

Thank you very much for these infos ;)

Armand