Formalities to bring your pet in Mauritius

Rosiewestie wrote:
bands wrote:

hello everybody, we live in the middle east, in bahrain, since many years, and we will be moving to mauritius summer 2013. i know this is not around the corner but i do have 2 pet rabbits, mr. flips and mr. flops and it is so hard to find any information about the requirements to import them into mauritius.... i appreciate if anyone can help! best regards from the sandpit, bridget

Hi,
I have pasted and copied the contact details of Reduit Quarantine offices for you below from my extra long posting at the top of the page :)

Ring Min of Agriculture for guidelines etc (Ministry of Agriculture, Veterinary Services, Reduit, Mauritius. Tel: (230) 466662 or  ( Mr Gunness – direct line: 454 1016 or 1017)

They are very friendly and helpful (Mr Gunness is so sweet)and will give the correct advice and guidelines for bringing your little bunnies into Mauritius :)

Good luck :)

hi rosie, thats very nice of you. i already dropped an email to [email protected] maybe 2 weeks ago but this bounces back :-( do you maybe have any other email address of mr. gunness. thank you so much for your help :-)

bands wrote:
Rosiewestie wrote:
bands wrote:

hello everybody, we live in the middle east, in bahrain, since many years, and we will be moving to mauritius summer 2013. i know this is not around the corner but i do have 2 pet rabbits, mr. flips and mr. flops and it is so hard to find any information about the requirements to import them into mauritius.... i appreciate if anyone can help! best regards from the sandpit, bridget

Hi,
I have pasted and copied the contact details of Reduit Quarantine offices for you below from my extra long posting at the top of the page :)

Ring Min of Agriculture for guidelines etc (Ministry of Agriculture, Veterinary Services, Reduit, Mauritius. Tel: (230) 466662 or  ( Mr Gunness – direct line: 454 1016 or 1017)

They are very friendly and helpful (Mr Gunness is so sweet)and will give the correct advice and guidelines for bringing your little bunnies into Mauritius :)

hi rosie, thats very nice of you. i already dropped an email to [email protected] maybe 2 weeks ago but this bounces back :-( do you maybe have any other email address of mr. gunness. thank you so much for your help :-)

Did you check out the email address that I have in my long posting - When we were in the UK I emailed for 3 weeks on a daily basis after waiting for 5 weeks for a reply to my original email ;)

We have been here 18 months now and I still have not had a reply lol

The office is very small with a very small amount of staff and they are always very very busy - I discovered this when my dogs were in quarantine and I coud visit them in person.

It really is best to ring them - it may take you a week to get through/get an answer but you will eventually - maybe credit your skype and ring from there as it will be much cheaper.

Just got these from my posting :

Min Agri/quarantine: email: moa-dvs[at]mail.gov.mu

Website  (http://www.gov.mu/portal/site/moa )a

Never found out mr Gunness direct email, despite pleading for it :)

yeah i guess your right! better i top up my skype account :-) i know we still have about 6 months time but its all going so quick.... i thought i lived in a very complicated country already lol

Best to get as organised as you can, before you know it, it will time to come here.

Keep us all up to date on what you have to do to import your bunnies as the info may help someone else in the future :)

Good Luck :)

Got a very nice email from the government asking me to fill out a form scan it and email it back to them so they are able to tell me the precise requirements for the bunnies :-) I'll keep you all posted!

bands wrote:

Got a very nice email from the government asking me to fill out a form scan it and email it back to them so they are able to tell me the precise requirements for the bunnies :-) I'll keep you all posted!

Send a hard copy in the post as well :)
Addressed to Mr Gunness preferably.

Hi Everyone,
My name is Madhvi, i currently live in Ireland.  I am also moving with my pet to Mauritius hopefully by the end of March.  Rosiewestie's instructions were very clear & helpful.  We are at the starting point here, already got her passport, rabies vaccine done on the 18/01, now waiting 30 days to send blood tests to Surrey-England, already filled some forms for the import permit and e-mailed to Mauritius Ministry Of Agriculture etc..

Unfortunately Mr.Gunness doesn't work there anymore. He's being transferred to another dept & replaced by someone else.  But we managed to get his number & as Rosiewestie said, he's indeed extremely helpful but still the paperworks still has to go through his replacement.

One thing which is still unclear for us is that on the forms we got for the import permit from Mauritius, it states that only direct flight are accepted. But unfortunately from Ireland, we don't have any direct flight to Mauritius, it will either transit through the UK, France or Dubai. We mentioned same to our coordinator there in Mauritius(replacement of Mr.Gunness), but she says it should be Ok. I'm just waiting on a black & white confirmation from her.

Moreover we have contacted PetAir UK, but they said they don't do from Ireland so they've recommended a company here in ireland called EFL. The guy we are liaising with is very nice as well.

But i just want to get some opinions from you guys who have experience. What do you think about transit etc..any more information will be welcome.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Bebe2011 wrote:

Hi Everyone,
My name is Madhvi, i currently live in Ireland.  I am also moving with my pet to Mauritius hopefully by the end of March.  Rosiewestie's instructions were very clear & helpful.  We are at the starting point here, already got her passport, rabies vaccine done on the 18/01, now waiting 30 days to send blood tests to Surrey-England, already filled some forms for the import permit and e-mailed to Mauritius Ministry Of Agriculture etc..

Unfortunately Mr.Gunness doesn't work there anymore. He's being transferred to another dept & replaced by someone else.  But we managed to get his number & as Rosiewestie said, he's indeed extremely helpful but still the paperworks still has to go through his replacement.

One thing which is still unclear for us is that on the forms we got for the import permit from Mauritius, it states that only direct flight are accepted. But unfortunately from Ireland, we don't have any direct flight to Mauritius, it will either transit through the UK, France or Dubai. We mentioned same to our coordinator there in Mauritius(replacement of Mr.Gunness), but she says it should be Ok. I'm just waiting on a black & white confirmation from her.

Moreover we have contacted PetAir UK, but they said they don't do from Ireland so they've recommended a company here in ireland called EFL. The guy we are liaising with is very nice as well.

But i just want to get some opinions from you guys who have experience. What do you think about transit etc..any more information will be welcome.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Hi,
Firstly, anything that you email to here - send a hard copy by post as well.

I am sorry but I have no idea about importing a pet from Ireland to Mauritius, but can I make a suggestion?

A few people on here have asked the same question over the last 18 months - so someone must know the answer.

Start a new post - "Has anyone brought a pet from Ireland to Mauritius"

Someone somewhere will have the answer I am sure.

I am surprised that the Company EFL don't know the answer ;(

Hi Rosie,
Thanks for the advice, i'll start a new post straight away!

By the way, how are your 2 doggies doing?

Bebe2011 wrote:

Hi Rosie,
Thanks for the advice, i'll start a new post straight away!

By the way, how are your 2 doggies doing?

Hi babe.

Do you have the name of the person who has taken over from mr Gunness? And is the phone number the same?

Doggies doing well although I have to have them shaved to keep them cool - lots of people get their dogs shaved :)

Barney the Schnauzer looks a bit odd though :)

We also have another dog - found by the side of the road at about 4 weeks old - Ruby is now 1 year old and a real character.

We also have 2 more dogs - short term fostering until we can find a good home for them - hard work with 5 dogs :(

Just posting a photo of the 3 dogs on my photo's - so please take a look :) (Moderators have to check it out first - so don't know when it will appear but keep your eye out for it )

Hi Rosie,
The lady that replaced Mr.Gunness is Mrs Boodoo and the phone number is the same.

I would love to see your dogs, it's not in your pictures yet. I've posted my doggie Bebe's photo as my profile picture. it might take some time to appear as well.

I also found my little Bebe strayed where i live so i took her in. She was in a very bad state with her throat bleeding because of the collar.  At first me & my husband were not planning to keep her because we are on a student visa here so we were not allowed to keep dogs in apartments etc...

But luckily we moved to another place where we were allowed to have a pet. we brought her to the vet to see if she was microchipped, but wasn't. We still tried to look for her owner through posters, but no one ever claimed her.  we have her for around 20 months now & she's part of the family. We can't live without her, it's our baby.  So we saved up to bring her with us as our visa here will expire shortly.

We were constantly being told by people around us that it's practically impossible & costly to bring her but we had faith when we saw your posts.  So we started the process & i pray to God everything goes well & we succeed. 

I will keep you posted on the process.

One question, did you have to get an export permit/license as well? And how long after did you get your import permit from Mauritus?

Many thanks again.

Hi Rosie.. Hope everything's fine.. Am bringing my dogs in 3 month.. I have all the formalities required.. I just want to ask you that if i can bring 2 dogs by myself.? And 1 more question.. Can I come 2 days earlier before my dogs land.?? Did your dogs stay in the baggage area or with you? Thanks Rosie..

Scrappy and Bebe 2011 - Have just private messaged you with details that you will def need.

Hi Scrappy,

I am in the same process as you right now and it is fairly strait forward.

- If you are on the same plane as the dogs you do NOT need an agent.
- If you are not on the same plane as the dogs you NEED an agent.

The agent who helped Rosie explained it to me over the phone yesterday and I confirmed it with Mrs. Boodoo at the Ministry.

Best of luck!

thanks a million...

Pershagen76 wrote:

Hi Scrappy,

I am in the same process as you right now and it is fairly strait forward.

- If you are on the same plane as the dogs you do NOT need an agent.
- If you are not on the same plane as the dogs you NEED an agent.

The agent who helped Rosie explained it to me over the phone yesterday and I confirmed it with Mrs. Boodoo at the Ministry.

Best of luck!

I have double checked today and you definitely need an approved Agent/Broker when you land whether you are on the same flight or not.

The agent is very cheap - takes them only about an hours work - best to have one - as the rules upon arriving here are very very strict - don't want to concern you but please read the small print on your import permit about what happens if all is not in order.

Best to be safe than sorry ;(

Yes your rite.. Thnkss

Hallo, we are moving to Mauritius middle May. We have a well-travelled miniature schnauzer(from Taiwan), Woodi who is coming along.
I can't find a specific post from Rosiewestie...regarding details of a broker in Mauritius.
I would be most grateful if you could share his email address.
With regards to the import permit, would you also suggest I contact the Mauritian division of veterinary services directly, rather than sending an email?
Kindest regards.
Charmaine

Hi,
This is Madhvi here! An also on the process. I'll give you all the details when I go home. Am at work now.
Thanks

woodi wrote:

Hallo Madhvi,

Thank you very much for your email! I look forward to hearing from you!
All a bit stressed at the moment...My husband has decided to accept a job in Mauritius only a few weeks ago, and I am struggling to focus on Woodi's move to Mauritius seeing that I also have to deal with an insurance claim(we had a major leak and is currently living in rented accommodation in the UK) as well as a 7 month old baby! Fun and games!
Have a lovely evening! It is bucketing down with rain in the UK...and I can't wait for more sunshine!
Kind regards.
Charmaine

Hi
I have private messaged you with the details that you require :)

Hi Charmaine,
Am sure you got Rosiewesties email by now.
The broker in Mauritius is Sunil Hurry. Below is his details:
Email : [email protected]
Mobile: 002302568113
Landline: 002302174515

As for the Mauritian Division of Veterinary services, it's as below:
Name: Mrs S.P. Boodoo
Email: [email protected]
Landline: 002304541016/17

I'm sorry to hear you are going through a difficult phase!
Don't hesitate to ask Rosiewestie or myself if you need any more details. Rosie was a great guidance for me.

Many thanks! Much appreciated. I have send Mr Hurry an email and I am positive that I'll here back from him soon.
Did you use him too? I know some time has passed since your arrival in Mauritius, but may I ask how much you have paid for a broker in Mauritius and how long the import permit took.
Have a lovely day.
Charmaine

Hi Charmaine,
I just landed in Mauritius last week on the 3rd of April. I was so busy i couldn't reply to your email. Everything went fine. My doggy is now in quarantine. I did use Mr Hurry. He waited for us on our arrival at Mauritius airport in a separate custom dept & my dog was quickly checked by a vet as well.

To tell you honestly, we haven't paid Mr Hurry yet. Everything went too fast at the airport & he told us we can pay him this week. So we'll call him shortly & settle this.

As for the import permit, it's a long procedure. You basically need to get all the vaccinations & blood tests done & once you get the results from the blood tests, then you send it to the Mauritian Division of the Veterinary Services Mrs. Boodoo, then you'll get the import permit.

do let me know if you have any other queries.

Madhvi

Hi Madhvi,

Thank you ever so much for your email. I am very pleased that everything went well and that your doggie is safe and sound.

We are hoping to fly middle next month, and so far everything is running smoothly.

All the best, let me know how you get on.

Kind regards.
Charmaine

We got our two dogs home yesterday and everyone are very happy, especially the dogs I think :-)

Hi Charmaine,
Glad to hear everything is going smooth on your side.

By the way, you wanted to know how much Mr Hurry charged us. It's about Rs 9000. We just paid him.

Let me know if you have any further queries.

Madhvi

hello,
jaurai voulu avoir des information ceux qui ont deja ramener leur chat de maldive a lile maurice
mercie

nadine sandra wrote:

hello,
jaurai voulu avoir des information ceux qui ont deja ramener leur chat de maldive a lile maurice
mercie

There is  also a French forum and this request has been answered in both fora over the months and yrs.
Just do a search  about quarantine, pets or dogs and cats.

Hi I need help I want to bring my dogs to Mauritius

Hi Rosiewestie
My wife and I live in Switzerland with our two dogs. As things look now, there is a pretty good chance that I might be employed by a Swiss company to work in Mauritius. Of course we only would be willing to take the job if we take our dogs along. I have been trying to email the authorities in Mauritius , but so far I have not heard from them.  I don't know if the same requirements apply for us coming from Switzerland but never the less I would be very grateful if you could send us copies of your documents. Like that we would have something to start out with. If everything works out the way we hope, we would be leaving sometime around April/May 2014 so hopefully we still have enough time to get everything arranged.
Thank you very much for your help!
Marcel&Claudia

Good news for Dogs coming into Mauritius - Page is in French but google will translate into English at the top of the page :)http://www.lexpress.mu/article/animaux- … ne-reduite

Hi there

Please can someone tell me more about the formalities to bring a cat and 2 dogs toe Mauritius? Maybe a photo of the qaurintine and for how long they will be there? Is it stressfull for them? I ask these questions because they are my kids and they mean alot to me..my whole world. They are Jack Russell and my smallest are turning 1year tomorrow and the other one is 2years old.

Thanks

Maricke wrote:

Hi there

Please can someone tell me more about the formalities to bring a cat and 2 dogs toe Mauritius? Maybe a photo of the qaurintine and for how long they will be there? Is it stressfull for them? I ask these questions because they are my kids and they mean alot to me..my whole world. They are Jack Russell and my smallest are turning 1year tomorrow and the other one is 2years old.

Thanks

Hi
Read the postings under pets, there is lots and lots of information in them for you, very long but very good.

All the answers that you need are in these posts.

I took photos of the dogs in the exercise area only. I will try to put a few photos on here, I have previously tried too but they were not allowed but rules may have changed so I will try again.

I found my dogs coped very well, as I visited them at least once a day for 2 hours and always took them cooked chicken and rice, and played and cuddles them lots :)

Hi there thank you for your reply. Please if you nead my email adress for photos i will send it to you, because i really want to see the qaurintine. I am still worried about my kidz because their my whole life and their happiness are very importent to me and they must be comfortable. Can they be together?

thx

Hi Guys,
Just a quick update on the current quarantine regulations.

A friend's cat has just arrived from SA and she thought it would just be in quarantine for one month, but quarantine have informed her, the 3 month rule is still applying until they get the signed papers from the relevant government dept, saying quarantine been cut to 30 days from SA and 5 days from UK.

This may change over the next week or so, so will you all informed.

Have a good weekend :)

Hi there

Did someone got any new news of qaurantine time for SA? Will it be cut to 30days??

What are the procedures?

Hi Chaturdharee and welcome,

Did you read this topic > the posts above?

I think you can also have some info here: http://www.gov.mu/portal/sites/smeporta … permit.htm

ps: A little introduction of you, a "hi, thank you" would be much appreciated.  :whistle:

Thank you