Formalities to bring your pet in Thailand

Hi all,

What are the formalities and paperwork required to bring your pet in Thailand?

How long do formalities & paperwork usually take in Thailand?

What are the relevant authorities to contact?

Which vaccines are compulsory? Do your pets have to go in quarantine at their arrival in Thailand?

Which advice would you give to the ones who would like to move with a dog, a cat or any other pet?

Thanks in advance for participating :)

Bringing pet dogs or cats into Thailand

The procedures for bringing your pet(s) into Thailand for 6 months or more by air as one of accompanied baggage are:

Obtain an authorization to import your pet by air. This can be done at the Don Muang International Airport in Bangkok.
At the airport, you will need to:
obtain an authorization to bring transit animals via Thailand (Ror 6 form), or
obtain a permission to bring animals into Thailand (Ror 7 form), and/or
fill out an application for special importation form (Kor Sor Kor 102).
Please be advised that you may be required to pay fees for the above applications, as well as import duties on your pet. Import duties are exempted if your pet will be in Thailand for 6 months or less. However, you will need to fill out a guarantee form and pay a deposit at the airport.

Other requirements:
Identity certificate signed in country of origin by a registered veterinarian, describing age, breed, sex, color, etc. of your pet.
Rabies vaccination certificate- your pet must be vaccinated at least 15 days prior to departure.
Leptospirosis vaccination certificate- at least 21 days prior to departure.
Animal must be healthy and free from any sign of infectious or contagious disease.
Animal must be residing in Canada for no less than 6 months before the departure date.
For further inquiries, please contact:

Bangkok Airport Customs Office
Tel. (66-2) 535-1269, 535-1153, 535-1680, 535-6463

Department of Livestock Development, Bangkok
Tel. (66-2) 251-5136, 252-6944
or visit website at www.dld.go.th

Apparently, yes, the animal at your arrival will need to stay in quarantine at the airport.

My advice, leave your pet in your home country with someone you trust, since your pet will not be allowed to stay more than 6 months.

If one is keen to have a pet ( even tho it will not be the same as your previous one) there is an association to adopt both cats and dogs [which i have adopted from in the past] here in Bangkok, called SCADbangkok.org
The Dogs and cats there, are rescued animals from the streets, treated them from their wounds or illnesses and put to adopt in their large facilities.

Otherwise there is always your normal pet shop where one can buy the animal.

The vet here is very very cheap compared with vet's in Europe, specially for vaccines and treatments.

I brought my 4 Basset hounds here from Canada, and I have friends who brought their dogs with them from South Africa. All of the technical info is accurate, although in both our cases we used animal transfer companies, and they managed all the paperwork and transfers. They were through Bangkok in less than 3 hours. The company we used had agents or representatives at all of the stops along the way and walked the paperwork through the officials in Bangkok.

We were advised that it is best to ship via Europe, as if there are flight delays, the animals can be taken out and exercised, whereas coming from North America through most Asian countries this would not be allowed due to quarantine issues.

The biggest concern for the travel is hydration. To deal with this, we had kennels fitted with stainless steel water buckets (you can buy them in most places) and then had the water frozen in them. The ice thaws over time, providing access to cool water in transit. We also lined the kennels with shredded newspaper to handle soiling.

As has also been said, the vet fees and services here are considerably less than elsewhere, and there are lots of vet clinics everywhere, as well as rescue organizations. In Phuket Soi Dog Foundation and PAWS are just two. Absolutely you want to be on top of your rabies and distemper vaccinations. Here they vaccinate for rabies yearly, as opposed to North America where they did it every three years. This past year there has been an outbreak of distemper here in Phuket.

The food for the dogs here is probably on par with what you pay now in your own currency, if you are using brand name products.

The biggest adjustment has been acclimatizing to a tropical climate. And there are many sites that show you how. Basically the same approaches to manage possible heat exhaustion back in Canada, work well here. One year later they are fully adjusted.

Had we not been moving here, we would probably not have brought them along for a short stay duration, and used family or friends to mind them. But I have met people who walk the beaches with their dogs when they come here for 60 day stays and they do well too.

Hi LuisF and Bacanada !

Thanks a lot for your contributions :top:

Armand

Hey Bacanada

Could you maybe put me in touch with your South African friends? Or find out from them who the went through from the South African side? I was going to leave my cats with my mom but one of them gets so unsettled when I'm not there that she disappears and doesn't eat so I couldn't in good conscience leave her behind. I  know it seems silly being so worried about animals but I did take her on and she's my responsibility. For a cat she's very attached to me.

if you plan on retiring in thailand can you bring your pet  for as long as you are there     thanks in advance     santino

Thanks for your help santino!

Harmonie.:)

We would also like to bring our dog from South Africa and would like to know what agency to use here to make his transfer as smooth as possible. He is very precious to us .....

Hi there, I have looked around alot, and have found Animal Travel (0219349556)...Dominique......to be very helpful, trustworthy and just basically able to make this easier to do (theres alot of formalities that needs to be done when taking pets over) Not hectic, but just a lot. And you need an Livestock importers permit from bangkok, as well as someone to check pet in, and obviously deliver to your home there......Dominique recommended an agency in Bangkok which they always use...... Joy Belle Llenado  [email protected]

I have also been in touch with her (and a number of other agencies who do this) and her agency also seems the best and most together.
If you have any other questions give dominique a call. She is so helpful, and says people take their pets all over (when I thought we were mad trying to take our dog), and its a very easy procedure.

good luck
Hope this helped you
xxxxx

LuisF wrote:

Apparently, yes, the animal at your arrival will need to stay in quarantine at the airport.

My advice, leave your pet in your home country with someone you trust, since your pet will not be allowed to stay more than 6 months.

If one is keen to have a pet ( even tho it will not be the same as your previous one) there is an association to adopt both cats and dogs [which i have adopted from in the past] here in Bangkok, called SCADbangkok.org
The Dogs and cats there, are rescued animals from the streets, treated them from their wounds or illnesses and put to adopt in their large facilities.

Otherwise there is always your normal pet shop where one can buy the animal.

The vet here is very very cheap compared with vet's in Europe, specially for vaccines and treatments.

You really shouldn't comment on topics which you haven't a clue and just copy-n-paste from somewhere else while making assertions that just aren't true.

You are also obviously not a pet owner as most pet owners view their pets as part of the family. Not something you just discard because of travel issues and replace when get where you are going.

this is the first I hear of quarenteen for your pet???? I was told by the animal travel company in Cape town, and the agent in Bangkok , that organises your pets smooth arrival, importers Livestock cert, and transportation of pet from airport to home......that if all the documents are in order, and your pet has received all the innocs (which the Animal travel company tells you about) there is no quatenteen? And what is the 6 month time frame? Is this for Phuket? Very interested to know, as thats a whole other dynamic now I have to consider.....and not a nice one...... :(

Hi Shelly,

Thanks for the advice.  I have also heard both sides regarding the quarantine period...... some say it takes only 3 hrs to clear and that there is a box on the form whereby you specify "home quarantine" and some saying that there is a 30 day quarantine ???

My little dog did the trip from UAE to SA via Amsterdam some three years ago, and I really dont want to scare him again as it was quite a thing for him  -  especially the quarantine after that in SA!   

I am hoping to fly with him and be there when he lands for a quick clearance.   I will contact your lady Joy Belle to find out more about the quarantine. 
PS:  definately not 6 months quarantine......

Thanks again,
Lin