Married To An Angel

In the news and on television shows, I have heard many times that “children learn what they live.” It never had much meaning to me until lately; when I started thinking about my youth and growing up in Southern California. My mom was born in San Francisco and my dad in Salt Lake City, Utah. A world and many hundreds of miles apart. They met while my dad was on a trip to the west coast and they later married.

About two years after they were married and still living in Northern California they had their one and only child, me.
By the time I was five years old my parents moved to Hollywood in Southern California.
While my dad worked full time for Technicolor Corp at Universal Studios. My mom worked full time as a dental assistant and office manager in North Hollywood.

In all the years of growing up I was one of the lucky ones that grew up in a home filled with love and caring. By the time I was in Jr. High School and old enough to see the difference between families, I began to see how lucky and blessed I was. So many of my friends were from broken homes. I watched with horror and disbelief as friend after friend had to endure the separation and divorce of their parents.

I'm sure that my parents had hard times during their lives. Maybe financial as well as other things as any couple does.
But in all the years of growing up, going to school, and even when grown and living on my own; I never-not even one time heard an argument or sharp word between them. They somehow managed to disagree and discuss important matters without me being within ear shot.

So children do learn what they live. I was lucky. I lived in a home filled with and learned love and caring. Then it was my turn to find that special someone to marry and spend my life with.
It all seemed so simple. All I had to do is look for and find someone who had the same personality and loving ways as my mom.
Lets just say that I failed miserably and learned a very valuable lesson in the process.

I stayed single for many years after that. I truly feared trying again.
Then, years later in 1996, on my first trip to the Philippines I was staying in a hotel in Manila. Two times in one day I met the same girl in the hotel elevator. She was an office employee of the hotel. Our total time together spent in person was only about two minutes or maybe less. I returned home to the states and we spent the next seven (7) years exchanging emails, letters, and phone calls.

Finally in 2003 I returned to the Philippines and married this angel of mine. Not only did I find an angel in this wild and crazy word, I also found a new country to call home. We still live here in the Philippines and I still feel like the luckiest guy in the world. And now it's my turn to raise a child. As we go through our daily life, I hope and pray that our little daughter, Ynna, will feel that same love and peace that I did growing up.  It's great living as an expat in this tropical paradise with Viol and Ynna, the two angels in my life.
Every day I thank God for my sweet Viol; and I thank God for Angles…

this surely made me SMILE! Happy for u! :)

Hello Married Kano!

Thanks for this beautiful sharing.;)

Harmonie.

It's nice to hear that you found an angel. 

Some expats are not so lucky with their Filipina wife. And found themselves married to the devil instead.

Like you, I too was raised by very loving and caring parents.  And I'm truly appreciative of them.  But I appreciated them even more after I've had my first child.  At one time, I was expressing frustration to my mom about my son being a picky eater.  In a heartbeat, she said, "He got it from you."

Thanks for the reply:).
If people would spend more time choosing a companion for life than they do a car or home, I think there would be far fewer separations.
One bad thing too is that many from other countries believe everything they hear or read about life here and those that might be a possible wife. Then many come here and end up married or "with" someone that is only after money and or the one way ticket to another country.

I do still think however that a Filipina makes a much better wife that gals from western countries. Not because of being submissive, because they are not. I think it's because they still value family and are willing to really try to make the marriage work.

Gene

Not long ago, a member on this forum asked me, what is it that makes my marriage special and how do I "control" my wife so that I remain in charge and on top of things.

In my reply I explained to him that I felt that for a marriage to be as successful and rewarding as mine has been and continues to be; that there can be no boss or no one person in control. To do so would be considered unrighteous dominion and that in no way could I ever subject my wife or anyone else for that matter to forced controls.
Further, I explained to him that we are both the boss in that we are equal partners in the marriage and that I place nothing higher in my life than the health and happiness of my wife in all things. 

If I may claim a moment of personal privilege here on the forum, I would like to place a link to a video that I told this man that I would put here for him to view. I do hope he sees it and realizes that a marriage with a "boss" in it is sorely lacking the true spirit of love that is needed in a marriage. The video follows:

youtube.com/watch?v=DkUwh1YUMtE&feature … 0&index=35

Gene...

really made me smile..so sweet..hope you will remain as that til the you aged guys..

Hi, There Married Kano...
And to all out there who has successful married life:)

First of all a big congratulations!!!
Whoww!!! I was totally inlove to your love story...
It makes my heart smile... and "kilig" (and maybe you know what is kilig ;))

Actually you are only few who has gladly I can say... a lovely relationship.

I thought all I can see and read here is about complaints here and there... about the country you belong now.. our country...
but till I came across with your awesome sharing...

As a single Filipina and expat here in Kuwait... across the universe and high faith I believed there is always one true person that is for us... waiting out there:)

I will be happy and thankful if you will allowed me to transfer your story in my blog so I can share and inspire many people out there...

diarynigracia

im new here..nice to hear a kilig story!
hope i can have mine someday,but its hard as i research to marry Saudi man even he loves  U..if they will not sign approved the paper..ouchh..:( MOI hope u will have a BIG HEART.

Sweet Story. Congratulations.

I live in Makati and have been dating various women since coming here. I hope to get married and expect it will be a Filipina.

I thought it was funny someone asks you about controlling your woman. Most the Filipina women I have met are not looking to be in charge, they enjoy being women. They also don't have a list in their mind of how the husband should be then go and try to make him that way like most western women do. Very refreshing.

I agree a person has to take time to meet the right one .

My wife Lydia, a Filipina whom I met in the States, and I have been married for over 40 years.  When she decided that she would like for us to retire in the Philippines, I went along even though I had serious doubts about the idea. It turned out to be  one of the smartest moves of my life. Aug. 27 will mark six years of living here. Lydia's judgment was right on. The moral of the story: trust is the basis for a long and happy marriage.

Man, this made me so happy. I'm looking forward to the day i'll have my filipina wife.

So far away but i'm working to get there.

Hi Everyone and it was good to read the replies to my post. It seems that I didn't get a notification for each one as I would expect.

Yea, this really is a great place to live as long as one learns to slow down and to adjust to a way different way of life. I'm not trying to sugar coat everything in my post as there are difficulties anywhere one lives. But life in the Philippines has been almost 100% stress free. Especially being married to the "right" person has made all the differences in the world.

Thanks for all the replies to everyone-it's great to read them all.

Gene

Thankyou for sharing your experience.

I am about to move to the Philippines for a few years at least, from Australia.

I am married to an angel also and feel as lucky as you do. We've been together nearly 2 years here in Australia with never a raised voice. We've had a few disagreements and a couple of times there's been sadness between us, but there was always love as well.

I can honestly say that I have NEVER looked at her, without melting with love for her, and it's the kind of feeling that is deep and real and forever. Unique and special.

I know our daughter who is just 4 months old now, will grow up seeing peace. Wish all children could have that...

Hi Married Kano

Shall I call you "kabayan" now! regards to your angels. Guys like you makes the Philippines worth living despite of all the hardships there.

I'm married to an angel also my petite wife is 28 now and attending college in Cebu City. We visited Pampanga in 2006 as here sister was living there. See us on our blog: retiringphilippines.org

We too have really never had an out right argument and we have been married 7 wonderful years. We have 3 children 6, 4, and 1. We normally live in Bogo and have a home there. Currently while she attends Southwestern University in Cebu City we are renting an apartment for Php 6,500 in Tumulak Village on Mactan Island, there are directions on how to get here on my website/blog here: retiringphilippines.org
Stop by for coffee and lets talk. If you play guitar bring it along I play bass.

http://retiringphilippines.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/IMGP3406-Medium-599x449.jpg

http://retiringphilippines.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/PC060665-Medium-599x449.jpg

http://retiringphilippines.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/IMGP3543-Medium-599x449.jpg

Stories like this do my old hear good. BTW Lydia and I just celebrated our 41st anniversary this week.

Tell me more about yourself where you are from originally and where you are now. Marianne and I have a home in Bogo, now for sale, as we like it here in the Cebu City area and want to move here permanently.

Charles

TO: Married Kano
I agree with you completely, as for Marianne and I we both agree on everything, no total control from either one of us, and I think this is the key to our success for past wonderful 7 years. We are just as in love now as in the first month of our relationship. A marriage made in Heaven lived in Paradise.
:)