American Looking to relocate to Spain

Hello,

I am in the process of planning an extended visit to Spain.  At this point I am in the fact gathering stage.  I live in New York and have limited spanish.  I would love to pick up and stay for as long as I could somewhere in Spain.  My problem is where and how.  I have a child that will be about 10 when I hope to make this move so bilingual education will be a concern.  Of course with this economy.. a shoe-string budget is what I figure will be in the works.  Any suggestion would be great.  I am constantly checking out this blog and love reading everyone's experience.  If if was just me I think it would be a easier move.. but since I have my child I want to make sure my ducks are in a row. I thank everyone in advance for your replies. 

:):top:

When you are choosing where in Spain that you want to go, remember that not all the schools in Spain teach in Spanish. There are different regions with different languages, for example, I live in Basque Country and they teach in Basque in the schools.  On a similar subject, because the different regions have their own language, their signs may be in their native tongue and not in Spanish, for example in Basque Country it is mostly in Basque and in Barcelona, it is in Catalan.

Something else you may want to consider, is looking for a job teaching English here, then you can get a work permit and be here for more than 3 months. You will also have the ability to make friends that speak both Spanish and English and will probably have the help of the school to learn Spanish.

Southern Spain and some on the Mediterranean have people that  have relocated from Germany and the UK, so there is more English spoken there, as well as in Barcelona & Madrid.  Some of the smaller barrios you won't have that luxury.

Good luck in your search.

Valencia is a very nice place to live. We came from Florida 3 years ago and went to Madrid. After 1 year we moved to Valencia and we like it so much better. The quality of life and also the cost of living. Good luck!