Hi everyone, would like to ask a lot of questions :-)

Hello, I'm new to the forum and would like to ask a lot of things about living in Poland. I've been thinking about this for more than a year now, and I think my reason is good enough for wanting a life there.

I met my partner through the internet more than 2 years ago, and so far we've only been seeing each other when I can afford to travel to Poland. Of course, it's absolutely heartbreaking to have to come back to England and be away from each other. Both of us have talked about living together in Warsaw while she is studying for 5 years there.

The first thing is that we are two girls, and I know how hard it is for people like myself and for her to have a life together in somewhere like Poland, as it's not as accepting as the USA or UK for example, of gay people. This hasn't really put me off though, but I'd like to ask if people found out about us would that affect my chances of getting work there? Would I be fired if my boss found out about that? I know they are naive questions, but I really don't know.

Next thing is, how exactly do I go about moving there and being allowed to live/work in Warsaw? I speak VERY little Polish, only simple things (hello, do you speak English, my name is...) and I can't read it. I'm guessing I will really need to learn a lot more of it if I wish to work there.

What kind of jobs are on offer for foreign people? When I think about getting a job where I have to communicate with people a lot, it makes me feel really nervous! I'm afraid to mess up and make a fool out of myself ^//^ because I bet my accent already sounds strange with the Polish language!

I'll ask more when I can think of things I'm curious about, I hope you guys can help me with some advice. :)

Hello Nadzieja and welcome to Expat.com!

I hope that other members will advise you soon.;)

Harmonie.:)

Hey :)

I don't have much time so I'm afraid that it won't be a proper reply but... I'd like to clarify one thing. I know that the level of homophobia is still high in Poland but to be honest, I can't see much difference between Warsaw and London :) I mean, of course, there's a chance that you'll meet someone extremely homophobic but you can meet them also in England.

Radio Maryja anyone? And lets not forget the problems with Gay Pride and the League of Polish Families and their ilk contending for public office - successfully until the last election. And all the polarizing religious fervor during that one.

That being said, there is a tremendous underground - if underground is your sort of thing. It's not mine and I have paid a price for it. Not sure anyone else is up for that.

As for work, if your partner is leading you on to do more than teach English here (or babysit students if you're a native speaker) she should know better and is, in fact, irresponsible for not taking you in hand with all of this first-hand knowledge herself.

As an acquaintance once characterized Poland: polite but not friendly. He was right on.