Shouldn't a dentist own a dental office?

Were you aware that there are two bills in the Nevada Legislature right now that are attempting to modify our current laws requiring a licensed dentist to be the owner of a dental practice here in Nevada?  Powerful corporate influence from other states is pushing these bills through, which would allow them to open up dental chains in our state! If this happens, the person who is practicing in your office may not be directly be responsible to answer to a licensed dentist, but instead may be responsible to a large corporation that is not concerned about your care, but only about your money. Basically anybody with the money could own a dentist office, they wouldn't even need a license! Let our politicians know you are against these measures by visiting the following locations on the Nevada Legislature website today, and VOTE AGAINST SB214 and SB295!!!!

leg.state.nv.us/75th2009/opinions/Poll/index.cfm?drpMenuOne=603#EnterInfo

leg.state.nv.us/75th2009/opinions/Poll/index.cfm?drpMenuOne=858#EnterInfo

Thanks for your support!

So how did that work out?  Must dentists have offices?

Owning the physical plant and practicing dentistry or medicine are two different animals.

I had a private medical practice for many years in the US ( I owned it) and let me tell you with the current climate I would only practice if working for someone else.  The hassles and problems of running an office between regulations, insurance companies, office staff, rent, insurance and on and certainly cut into my time leaving much less of it to practice medicine which is all I wanted to do.  So if some corporation owned the practice and allowed me to practice medicine I would jump at it in a heart beat.

Besides Doctors and Dentists are good at what they were trained for and not necessarily good business people.  Leave the business aspects to the business experts and the practice of medicine/dentistry to those trained to be experts in their field.

Bob K

You know this was from 2009, right?

Nope never read the header. Only answered the question.  Guess I did not have enough coffee yet

Bob K

Bob K wrote:

Owning the physical plant and practicing dentistry or medicine are two different animals.

I had a private medical practice for many years in the US ( I owned it) and let me tell you with the current climate I would only practice if working for someone else.  The hassles and problems of running an office between regulations, insurance companies, office staff, rent, insurance and on and certainly cut into my time leaving much less of it to practice medicine which is all I wanted to do.  So if some corporation owned the practice and allowed me to practice medicine I would jump at it in a heart beat.

Besides Doctors and Dentists are good at what they were trained for and not necessarily good business people.  Leave the business aspects to the business experts and the practice of medicine/dentistry to those trained to be experts in their field.

Bob K

I agree.  In PA the hospitals are either buying out the practices or hiring the doctors as employees for the hospital.  The doctors are earning more money but a monopoly is forming which can only hurt the consumers.  The way some of the remaining practices are managed and reported are terrible.