New in Tallinn

Hello, i am from Mexico City and i arrived in Tallinn 2 weeks ago. I am in the adjustment stage: food, place, people.
So far it has been wonderful.

Hello krika and welcome to Expat.com!

I hope that you will have a lot of nice contacts here.

Harmonie.

Hi Harmonie, thank you. Where are you?

Hopefully you have visited the Old Town, that's pretty much only thing to see in Tallinn, though worth it :P

Yes! i love Old Town. Going to the beach is another option and just walk by the dock is really interesting. Still looking to do more things, hang out, meet new people and one thing i don't want to skip is trying the Estonian food, almost one month here and i haven't tried anything other than sausages. So i have to be brave!! everything looks good though :P

Everybody:  Have a spectacular day!

I'm more of the regular Estonian type of guy in terms of food - potatoes all the way. Especially I love smashed tater's with sausage/minced meat sauce.. yummy.
I don't think Estonians have a lot of exotic or weird foods.

Anyway, good to hear, you like it here =).

Hmm that sounds good, any other suggestion out of potatoes?
I am mexican so i am so used to spicy food :D

I can't eat nothing even mildly spicy, because not much of a fan, and my liver would kill me :D.
You can try meat jelly, which is kind of a weird thing to eat, quite popular in Estonia. And of course fish is common too, but cannot think of any spicy local food besides some spicy fish sauce stuff.

I will adapt to what you have here lol i just want to enjoy the experience of new things

Each to their own I guess. I know most people like to try new stuff, but I'm just used with the 'simple farmer foods' lol.
But all this food talk got me hungry now, I should take my lunch break from work soon :P.

Hi Krika,
I know a Mexican family living here in Tartu. Let me know if you come for a visit & we can get you acquainted. What work are you doing in Tallinn?
Penelope

Oh! PEnelope that would be awesome, so far i just know one mexican married to an estonian girl. I am here with my fiance and trying to enroll to new activities in order to avoid being bored. If i can get a job i am gonna be delighted! What about you?

There is an autumn fair (Maarjalaat = St. Mary's Fair) here in Tartu on Saturday 10th Sept. & usually there is a display of mushrooms & toadstools (fungi) that is great to see.
You are both welcome to stay with us, if you want to come for the weekend & stay overnight.

Oh!  thank you so much for the hospitality i will take it into consideration and that fair sounds really good, one thing i love about Estonia is all the natural products you can find here, i will tell my fam to go there and have the chance to meet you.
Have a great day :)

krika wrote:

Hmm that sounds good, any other suggestion out of potatoes?
I am mexican so i am so used to spicy food :D

oh yes, i miss a hot bowl of posole.

im a meat/potatoes person anyway so the food has worked out for me ok. when i get tired of it, i just got to be creative with what is available.

i've made wraps, dips, and salsas - just got to hunt some items down.

Wait a second!!! how do you know about pozole! yummy! i have watery mouth lol and at this point yes, i am missing my food, but i am doing good so i have to be strong :) besides i found some chiles i wasn't expecting to, so i have to be happy

ha! im from usa so i may not have the most authentic mexican food point of view - but i enjoy the heat.

i havent found much for chiles here yet, just some fresh thai ones, jalapenos in a jar (which work ok), and tabasco sauce. miss the fresh roasted ones!

a couple of restaurants i know of are taco express (open 24 hr, great after a night of drinks) and amarillo.

Oh! i see, that is a good reason. I tried Taco Express it was really good, Tex-Mex though i haven't tried Amarillo i guess has the same taste , nevertheless have you heard about Cantina Carramba? not  been there yet but the menu looks very authentic i have to check it asap  http://www.carramba.ee/uk.tutvustus.php

I found chipotles, jalapenios, nopales and corn tortillas

Lets see what i do, since our independence day is coming (sept 15th)

the cantina looks like a winner! has a decent variety to choose from too. where did you find corn tortillas?? i only found flour ones. i wanted to try to make some enchiladas sometime.

i miss tamales too haha

want to start up a restaurant? :P

I know!!!! a little Tex - Mex soul still, but i saw some of dishes that seem to be like those my mom cooked for me booa!.

I found them in Stockman, they crumble pretty easy so you have to be really careful with them, but for some dishes are 100 times better than flour, hey! enchiladas, i wish i could make some, and i will, as soon as i get a blender hahahaha

For tamales, if we just can get corn flour we are done man, but where!!? now this is personal, i will find it you'll see.

Opening a restaurant? hmmm that doesn't sound bad at all right? :D

Look for corn flour (may be called 'teravili jahu') among the different flours sold in the striped packages. 'Maisijahu' is cornstarch & found next to the potato starch.

I like eating plain boiled potatoes with Thai sweet chili sauce poured on top. :)

BTW how big is your family?
Penelope

Hey Penelope, thank you for the information, yeah, sometimes is an issue trying to figure what is at the supermarket so maybe i am not so lost and i will get my corn flour if i succeed (in the 1st attempt lol) i will be inviting you to have tamales, not to say i am pretty bad in the kitchen, but learning, so i have hope!!!!! (so my fiance...)

In general i love food, i love to try new things, how am i gonna know if i like them or not if i have never had them in my mouth!!? so i do or try to do all that, although spicy food drives me crazy.

That combination of potatoes with the sauce on top sounds good yumm! i do the same with chips and one salsa i brought from MExico (last bottle :( )

Here in Estonia, my new family: Fiance and stepdaughter
There in Mexico: just one sister, her 2 kids, my mom and my 2 dads i mean my father and my stepfather lol, don't take me wrong they don't live together hahah