Telecommunications Overview for Egypt

Hello my dear fellow forum members.

Since I have been working for the telecommunications industry for quite some time, plus I have been a computer geek for most of my life :D .....

Since telecommunication has become a more vital utility even sometimes more important than Water and Electricity, I decided to write about this so people can benefit from it.

1- Land lines

Land lines in Egypt are monopolized by the state-owned Telecom Egypt. Land lines are the cheapest method of telecommunications, though it is almost phased out now due to the new products and services offered by mobile operators which have become so cheap that people rarely use land lines.

The most important - if not the only - use for land lines at the moment is broadband internet (DSL).

Before renting an apartment, you should check if there is a land line or not installed, because applying for land line in a rented apartment is a troublesome process and might take few weeks to more than a month (and afterwards few weeks for broadband internet as well, so if your stay is short it's better to rent an apartment with a land line up and running).

Some caveats do exist though:

1- Some land lines are not "truly" land lines. They are fixed wireless lines (in some areas - doesn't have to be rural or new urban development - only this is available). These lines can NOT have broadband connections.

2- Check if there is a current or a previous broadband connection on this line with any ISP. You can ask the owner, or call any ISP  and ask if you can install their service (they will tell you if your line is tied to another ISP or not). Because changing ISP is a tedious task that requires a "cancellation letter" from the previous/existing ISP. If it is tied, it is easier to resume contract with this ISP than change.

Last but not least, remember that in Egypt land line is one thing, broadband is another. Meaning that ISPs and Telecom Egypt are separate entities and you have to pay your phone bill (even if you do not use it, to avoid disconnecting your phone and subsequently your Internet) to Telecom Egypt, and pay your broadband bill to your ISP.

All land lines in Egypt do NOT come with International or even long distance service by default and I strongly advise you AGAINST using your land line for long distance or International for so many reasons. Stick to your mobile phone for such calls.

The International dialing code for Egypt is +20. For Greater Cairo Area the area code is 02 followed by eight Digits.

To receive calls for your Cairo land line from overseas, the number would be +202 xxxxxxxx (notice omission of area code leading zero, don't let that confuse you).

To receive calls for your Cairo land line from outside Cairo or from a Mobile phone, the number would be  02 xxxxxxxx.

Useful Contacts:

Telecom Egypt Call Center : 111
Telecom Egypt website : telecomegypt.com.eg
Telecom Egypt online phone bill payment : billing.telecomegypt.com.eg

2- Fixed Broadband Internet (DSL)

It is easy ! All you need is have a land line, call an ISP check if they have the service available in your area, sign the contract, buy the router/modem and there you go !

Caveats as usual :

1- Don't buy/rent the router from your ISP. Too expensive and usually cheap chinese brand. Buy from any reputable computer shop from the nearby computer mall. You need an ADSL router and a splitter. For a decent wireless modem/router and a splitter you would pay around L.E 300 ($50 US)

2- Don't buy long time packages because broadband becomes cheaper every day.

Useful Contacts:

Etisalat ADSL : 0111234777, or 777 from Etisalat cell phone
TE Data : 19777
Link DSL : 16333
Vodafone : 16888

3- Mobile Broadband Internet (a.k.a USB Modem)

Sometimes you need mobile broadband for a reason or another, be it that land line/DSL is not available in your area, or it will take some time before it is installed and of course you need your daily fix of digital nicotine, or you are always on the go and you need your Internet everywhere.

Mobile broadband is good, not a replacement for DSL though especially if you are a heavy downloader, but sometimes you just have to do with it.

The three mobile operators in Egypt (Mobinil, Vodafone and Etisalat) all provide Mobile broadband.

I'd have to warn you though that Mobinil is the worst. Vodafone and Etisalat are the best. Usually Etisalat takes the lead in new offers, promotions and discounts and Vodafone follows so pricing is almost identical. Coverage depends upon your area so for some areas both networks would be fast, for some others one would be better than the other and vice versa.

Mobinil, Vodafone and Etisalat stores are all around town and can be found in all neighborhoods regardless of the social class of the neighborhood.

Usually a USB stick plus a new SIM card cost 99 pounds (~ $17 US). Most data packages now are unlimited (but with different fair usage limits, when you hit the limit your speed is downgraded to painfully slow speeds until the beginning of the next month). For instance at the moment, you can get Unlimited with 6 GB fair usage threshold costs L.E 149/month, while Unlimited with 500MB FU threshold costs only L.E 50/month.

You can buy packages as prepaid or postpaid. For prepaid all you need is your passport, for postpaid you need to prove ability to pay (credit card, car license, bank statement...etc.).

4- Mobile Phones

Egypt has three mobile operators with GSM/3G. The operating frequencies are GSM 900 and 1800 MHz and UMTS/HSDPA (3G) 2100 MHz, so if you are bringing in your handset, make sure it supports at least one of those frequencies.

Egypt has three modern mobile operators (Mobinil, Vodafone and Etisalat). Usually offers and products are very similar and copycatted down to the smallest detail. To check for offers, check the operators' website or visit their stores. Stores are available all around town. For a prepaid connection all you need is a passport and for postpaid you need to prove ability to pay (check section 3 above).

Egypt is a CPP country not an RPP (Calling Party Pays versus Receiving Party Pays), which means you do NOT pay airtime for receiving mobile phone calls (unless you take your SIM card overseas for International Roaming), so you don't have to worry about it. There are so many offers by operators for cheaper International calling also such as call everywhere, every time for L.E 1.99/minute.

Mobile numbers in Egypt start with the following codes :

Mobinil : 012, 018, 017 and 0150 followed by seven digits.
Vodafone : 010, 016, 019 and 0151 followed by seven digits.
Etisalat : 011, 014, and 0152 followed by seven digits.

To call overseas from your mobile phone, prefix the International Code with + or 00 (both work fine). So for instance to call the US/Canada, call 001-xxx-xxx-xxxx or +1-xxx-xxx-xxxx.

To receive phone calls to your mobile phone from overseas, prefix your number with +20, 0020, or 01120 (North America Only) followed by the number, omitting the network code leading zero (so if it is Etisalat it would be +20-11-xxxxxxx, NOT +20-011-xxxxxxx).

Useful links:

Mobinil : mobinil.com, customer care hotline 110 (from Mobinil cell phone)
Vodafone : vodafone.com.eg, customer care hotline 888 (from Vodafone cell phone)
Etisalat : etisalat.com.eg, customer care hotline 333 (from Etisalat cell phone).

Hope that helps. I am here for any telecommunications related questions.

:one

wow amazing useful information Ahmad :up: good job bro :)

Good Job , Egyptian :top:

actually Ahmad i copied your post and honestly i printed it and will share it with my colleagues here at the bank,plus i was glad to see and meet you in person, and this topic must be sticked :)

AWESomeeeeeeeee:D

good job:):)

don moe wrote:

actually Ahmad i copied your post and honestly i printed it and will share it with my colleagues here at the bank,plus i was glad to see and meet you in person, and this topic must be sticked :)

Wal3a ma3ako ya Don Moe & Ahmed, peaceee;):):)

Ahmed, Good job and I agree that this topic must be sticked

The Egyptian wrote:

Hope that helps. I am here for any telecommunications related questions.

wow, ahmad, thank you for this. it is sooo helpful especially for my mind which is NOT technologically wired!

salam.

k

Thanks everyone for the nice comments, and Katyusha, my offer is still extended to anyone and everyone who have a question :D

Thank you Ahmad. (Topic sticked!) :)

Christine wrote:

:thanks: perfect

Congrats, good job

Christine wrote:

Thanks Christine, appreciated:)
Good job Ahmed, keep it up bro

@The Egyptian
This is very useful information you have provided thank you very much. I have to tell that I am trying to get internet connection (ADSL Service) at my home since over 2 month and still I cannot get any ADSL solution.

Let me tell you about my problem;

I've had a land line which was connected to an ADSL provider which was unfotunately impossible to figure out which one it is to be able to get the cancellation number for it to subscribe to an ISP. So I went forward and spoke to my land line owner to change the line to speed up the process which worked fine to get a new telephone line. Unfortunately the new line I've got is working properly without any problems, but again I have the same problem that which ever ISP I call they are telling me that I have an active subscription and they need the cancellation number. Today I spend almost 3 hours to subscribe for ADSL at the following provider;

Noor ADSL (preferred due to the fact my company is working with them)
TeData
LinkDSL
Vodafone

So now I am at the end of my knowledge regarding this situation and not to mention my business is Computers and internet which I have collected lots of knowledge within the past years.

The Egyptian I wold appreciate any help you can provide me with this matter.

TurkeyForever wrote:

@The Egyptian
This is very useful information you have provided thank you very much. I have to tell that I am trying to get internet connection (ADSL Service) at my home since over 2 month and still I cannot get any ADSL solution.

Let me tell you about my problem;

I've had a land line which was connected to an ADSL provider which was unfotunately impossible to figure out which one it is to be able to get the cancellation number for it to subscribe to an ISP. So I went forward and spoke to my land line owner to change the line to speed up the process which worked fine to get a new telephone line. Unfortunately the new line I've got is working properly without any problems, but again I have the same problem that which ever ISP I call they are telling me that I have an active subscription and they need the cancellation number. Today I spend almost 3 hours to subscribe for ADSL at the following provider;

Noor ADSL (preferred due to the fact my company is working with them)
TeData
LinkDSL
Vodafone

So now I am at the end of my knowledge regarding this situation and not to mention my business is Computers and internet which I have collected lots of knowledge within the past years.

The Egyptian I wold appreciate any help you can provide me with this matter.

Hello my neighbor :),

Did you try to call Etisalat to see if your line is tied up with them or not? Try to call them at 0111234777 (or 777 from Etisalat line) to see ...... This is the only ISP I don't see in the list of ISPs you tried to contact.

If Etisalat says your line is not tied up with them, then you have to call the National Telecom Regulatory Authority (NTRA) at their customer complaints hotline (155 from any landline) to ask them which ISP your line is tied to. They will take some time but will give you the definitive answer.

You can also PM me your landline number and I will try to see it for you.

Last but not least, a new landline in Al Rehab city costs now around L.E 250 and is up and running within 2 weeks so if nothing works out you can resort to getting a new phone line and installing the service with whatever provider you wish to.

Looking forward to meeting you. Let's have a Rehab members outing :D

@ The Egyptian

Thank you very much I've send you a private message with asked detail.

Not to forget the NTRA telephone number is I think OOO (Out of Order) since I tried to call them also several times but it always give me a kind of a busy tone but I know it is not the busy tone which we are used to it, it is like the busy tone which refers back that this number is not existing....

For sure we have to meet since we both are in Rehab lol

Contact me regarding this in private message and we can exchange telephone numbers to meet :)

I tried the NTRA # now and it is working Normally. Their Ramadan working hours are 9 AM to 2 PM Sunday to Thursday

The information you provided in your first post is great, may I add on a few extra facts:

* All telecom activities in Egypt are supervised by the NTRA, the government that is.

*All ISPs access the internet through Egypt Telecom (the government)

*Which ISP do I subscribe with you ask? My advice is to call their customer care line and see how long it'll take each to answer, stick with the fastest one.

* Mobile numbers in Egypt have changed, this is a brief disciption:

(old -> new)

Mobinil

012 XXX XXXX -> 0122 XXX XXXX
017 XXX XXXX -> 0127 XXX XXXX
018 XXX XXXX -> 0128 XXX XXXX
0150 XXX XXXX -> 0120 XXX XXXX

Etisalat

011 XXX XXXX -> 0111 XXX XXXX
014 XXX XXXX -> 0114 XXX XXXX
0152 XXX XXXX -> 0112 XXX XXXX

Vodafone

010 XXX XXXX -> 0100 XXX XXXX
016 XXX XXXX -> 0106 XXX XXXX
019 XXX XXXX -> 0109 XXX XXXX
0151 XXX XXXX -> 0101 XXX XXXX

Thank you Ahmed this is important Information for all it is very much apriciated, I will shear this info with others.

Take Care
Greg

Hello The Egyptian.
Maybe you can advise something. I am in Cairo and connected to Etisalat ADSL connection. But the speed, farely speaking, is slow.
The problem is that due to my work I need to have certain passing standards, such as:
-upload speed greater than or equal to 0.7 mbps
-download speed greater than or equal to 2 mbps
-ping rate that is less than or equal to 60 ms
-FTP time of less than or equal to 4 minutes 30 seconds for a 50 mb file.

While checking the connection via speedtest.net  the results are the following:

Server: Hong Kong, Website Solution Ltd.
-upload speed 0.08 mbps
-download speed 0.16 mbps
-ping rate 391 ms

Server: Amsterdam, Networking4all
-upload speed 0.09 mbps
-download speed 0.27 mbps
-ping rate 218 ms

Server: Sydney, Telstra
-upload speed 0.09 mbps
-download speed 0.14 mbps
-ping rate 491 ms

Server: Baltimore, Comcast
-upload speed 0.010 mbps
-download speed 0.018 mbps
-ping rate 301 ms

I really feel frustrated and do not know how to fasten the speed.
I've requested Etisalat to be transferred to 2 mb tariff plan. I believe the speed will change. But what about ping rate?

Is there any advice you can help with?

am2ra7 wrote:

Hello The Egyptian.
Maybe you can advise something. I am in Cairo and connected to Etisalat ADSL connection. But the speed, farely speaking, is slow.
The problem is that due to my work I need to have certain passing standards, such as:
-upload speed greater than or equal to 0.7 mbps
-download speed greater than or equal to 2 mbps
-ping rate that is less than or equal to 60 ms
-FTP time of less than or equal to 4 minutes 30 seconds for a 50 mb file.

While checking the connection via speedtest.net  the results are the following:

Server: Hong Kong, Website Solution Ltd.
-upload speed 0.08 mbps
-download speed 0.16 mbps
-ping rate 391 ms

Server: Amsterdam, Networking4all
-upload speed 0.09 mbps
-download speed 0.27 mbps
-ping rate 218 ms

Server: Sydney, Telstra
-upload speed 0.09 mbps
-download speed 0.14 mbps
-ping rate 491 ms

Server: Baltimore, Comcast
-upload speed 0.010 mbps
-download speed 0.018 mbps
-ping rate 301 ms

I really feel frustrated and do not know how to fasten the speed.
I've requested Etisalat to be transferred to 2 mb tariff plan. I believe the speed will change. But what about ping rate?

Is there any advice you can help with?

From your router, can you check the attenuation and SNR margin values?

Downstream/Upstream    
SNR Margin:36.5/31.0  db
Line Attenuation:41.5/22.5  db

am2ra7 wrote:

Downstream/Upstream    
SNR Margin:36.5/31.0  db
Line Attenuation:41.5/22.5  db

What is your current line speed (from router status, not actual speedtest speed)?

Your downlink attenuation is too high and I suspect it is the reason behind your problem. In perfect condition, SNR Margin should be higher than line attenuation, however it's not much lower. But, take care because the gap will widen if you increase your line speed.

I propose you call your provider (Etisalat) and tell them you have issues with the connection and need your line to be checked.

Furthermore, check your connections inside your home, make sure you're using a high quality ADSL Splitter, all wires should be in good condition, no telephone set should be connected without a filter and/or splitter.

Last but not least, try to find a Telecom Egypt technician to check the wiring from the telephone cable box in the street up to your home.

TEData has really UNlimited packages. http://www.tedata.net/eg/en/Home-ADSL/H … rices-List (it is listed UNDER Optimum packages)

But I think to find a ping rate of 60 or less will be very difficult. At the moment I have a ping rate of 72 (tested with: " ping www.google.com -t " typed in RUN) We have TEData 2mb unlimited (Cairo). I will check again in the evening.
I have just run speedtest: down: 1.71mbps up: 0.43mbps and ping 15ms (server in Gaza). If I test it with the server in Hong Kong I have much lower values, maybe if I test it in the night it is different, because now (12PM Cairo, 6PM Hong Kong) is a busy time over there. I have tested also with the server in Amsterdam and have down and up same values as with the server in Gaza, ping is 85.

Geely wrote:

TEData has really UNlimited packages. http://www.tedata.net/eg/en/Home-ADSL/H … rices-List (it is listed UNDER Optimum packages)

But I think to find a ping rate of 60 or less will be very difficult. At the moment I have a ping rate of 72 (tested with: " ping www.google.com -t " typed in RUN) We have TEData 2mb unlimited. I will check again in the evening.
I have just run speedtest: down: 1.71mbps up: 0.43mbps and ping 15ms (server in Gaza). If I test it with the server in Hong Kong I have much lower values, maybe if I test it in the night it is different, because now (12PM Cairo, 6PM Hong Kong) is a busy time over there. I have tested also with the server in Amsterdam and have down and up same values as with the server in Gaza, ping is 85.

These are very good values.

Optimum is NOT unlimited, real unlimited is what they sell under Unlimited.

Btw, maybe the route to HK is slower than the route to Palestine and/or Netherlands.

again, for Egypt a ping reply time under 100ms is considered a good time.

Hi Egyptian,

Just found your very valuable info.
Please help me. I am looking for a fast broadband in the New Cairo of Al Shabaab area. This is for a good clear phone connection as I would like to get a package from the UK. This will include getting an adapter to connect to a modem/router, getting a UK phone number in Cairo. This will entitle us free phone calls to and from UK/Egypt.
Please advise me on which Internet company to go for.

Thanks in advance.
Sunnsand

sunnsand wrote:

Hi Egyptian,

Just found your very valuable info.
Please help me. I am looking for a fast broadband in the New Cairo of Al Shabaab area. This is for a good clear phone connection as I would like to get a package from the UK. This will include getting an adapter to connect to a modem/router, getting a UK phone number in Cairo. This will entitle us free phone calls to and from UK/Egypt.
Please advise me on which Internet company to go for.

Thanks in advance.
Sunnsand

TE Data.

More importantly, make sure your line is a real landline not a fixed wireless line.

One more thing, the VOIP adapters are illegal, if you try to ship it to Egypt it will get confiscated.

Thanks Egyptian for your help. What I'm getting is not VOIP, I dont think so. You can go ahead and look at the website. Hope its okay for me to post the website on here.
vonage.co.uk

This is how it works. I register with the phone company and pay their fees. They send me an adapter and it is ready to connect onto a modem. I pay monthly for it here in the UK whilst the family pay for the line rental and Internet in Cairo.

Check the site. Click on residential and look at V PLAN UK

Please let me know as I dont want to do anything illegal.
Once again thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it.

sunnsand

sunnsand wrote:

Thanks Egyptian for your help. What I'm getting is not VOIP, I dont think so. You can go ahead and look at the website. Hope its okay for me to post the website on here.
vonage.co.uk

This is how it works. I register with the phone company and pay their fees. They send me an adapter and it is ready to connect onto a modem. I pay monthly for it here in the UK whilst the family pay for the line rental and Internet in Cairo.

Check the site. Click on residential and look at V PLAN UK

Please let me know as I dont want to do anything illegal.
Once again thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it.

sunnsand

Vonage IS VOIP. The customs will confiscate it if you try to ship it in to Egypt.

I know what Vonage is because I have been a customer with them since 2004 :D ......

No one will do nothing to you if you use it in Egypt, but you will need to get the router into the country with someone coming in, not via courier.

Sorry Egyptian, must say I am useless when it comes to all this electronic stuff. I do apologise, sorry.

So if I want a good phone connection how fast should the internet be? I dont want to be paying for a service that is useless.

I have looked at TE DATA website and find so many different choices. HELP!!!!!

sunnsand

sunnsand wrote:

Sorry Egyptian, must say I am useless when it comes to all this electronic stuff. I do apologise, sorry.

So if I want a good phone connection how fast should the internet be? I dont want to be paying for a service that is useless.

I have looked at TE DATA website and find so many different choices. HELP!!!!!

sunnsand

What is your monthly average budget for internet connection?

Lets say about LE150 but if you think this amount will not give me a good connection than I am open to your suggestions. By the way would I need a computer? All I want is just to be able to talk to the family.

Sunnsand

sunnsand wrote:

Lets say about LE150 but if you think this amount will not give me a good connection than I am open to your suggestions. By the way would I need a computer? All I want is just to be able to talk to the family.

Sunnsand

Get the Unlimited 2 Mbps for 220. That would be your best bet.

Thanks Egyptian, just found out the flat we will be getting has Vodafone connection. What do you think and what speed do I get.
thanks
sunnsand

sunnsand wrote:

Thanks Egyptian, just found out the flat we will be getting has Vodafone connection. What do you think and what speed do I get.
thanks
sunnsand

Vodafone is not bad, not the best though. No idea about their packages.

Changing provider is a pain in the neck and takes maybe 2 months. So stick with Vodafone.

You can use Skype or Viber to call your family in the UK.

Thanks Geely,

What on Earth is viber???

http://www.viber.com/ available as an app for smart phones

Amazingly helpful information- thanks a bunch!