I'm home ~ <3 ~

Hello. I thought I introduce myself. My name is Erick and I'm a Vietnamese American. I'm 30 years old. This was my first trip to Vietnam and now it's starting to become a permanent one after 6 months now. Originally I'm from California and Florida and was born in Texas. Lived in the US for 30 years. Hoping now to stay in Vietnam and South East Asia for the next 30 years. It truly does feel like I came home.

I have my share of experiences in HCM City and will be happy to share them here. But I feel like there is still so much more to explore and learn. Also hope to meet some new friends here.

Also, my Vietnamese is very elementary. Always looking to try to learn more. Vietnamese was my first language growing up, but right around the time I turned 10 years old, English became my predominate language. I regret not keeping up my Vietnamese and learning to read and write it.

Welcome home!

we are on the same boat! Back to see what we are really belonging to...
Good luck! mate!

good on you boys hope it all works out for u

Good to see Vietkieus coming back to their motherland despite........:)

lostsouls wrote:

Good to see Vietkieus coming back to their motherland despite........:)

Uh okay. :/

Hey Erick, your Vietnamese will pick up rather quickly. Just hang out with the locals. I'm 28 and a Vietnamese American too, born in Connecticut where the population of Vietnamese number around 0 (exaggeration but you get my point). From the age of 5 I never spoke Vietnamese again but somehow I retained a great deal of it. I moved here 6 months ago because my employer has a branch in Vietnam, and am enjoying it.

Are you here for work? What district do you live in?

Long story, but I came here because my father was sick and suffered a stroke. I dropped everything, left my businesses to my family, and flew to Vietnam. While here I got my father back to health and a one-way ticket to Calfornia. He's doing well, but can't wait to get back to Vietnam.

While here I got some opportunities all over South East Asia. Being here just opens up a whole new future for me and it's way more exciting than the economic catastrophe that the US is dealing with now.

So to answer your question, I'm here for family and my future. So far, the future is looking bright now.

Oh and I'm very close to district 1 in binh thanh district.

Speak as if you couldn't speak any more, ask as if a kid doesn't know anything (of course in Viet language), every local friend here would understand or even help you with your questions. You would see how wonderfull you make your effort in learning tieng Viet.

Hope you enjoy your day in Saigon.
Annie

Speak as in I am only able to hold simple Vietnamese conversations.

How are you? Are you hungry? Where do you want to go? I want to go left. I want to go right. I want Banh Mi. OMG! Stuff like that but all in Vietnamese.

I can understand more than I speak if that makes any sense.

Phi Long wrote:

Speak as in I am only able to hold simple Vietnamese conversations.

How are you? Are you hungry? Where do you want to go? I want to go left. I want to go right. I want Banh Mi. OMG! Stuff like that but all in Vietnamese.

I can understand more than I speak if that makes any sense.

i am Irish and i can speak a little Vietnamese, if i can do it so can you kid

throw yourself out.... that's how you pick up a language and get adaptation fast. Good luck!

Hello Erick,

Welcome to Vietnam.  Just hang in there, the language will eventually come around.  You can't find a better place to pick it up than here.

Get out of the shell and you will me amazed at what this little country has to offer.  Best of lucks.

Regards,
Howie

Wonderful to see the kindness and concern for others, new to Vietnam. Then again, it what make Vietnam special
THE PEOPLE
http://chuckkuhnvietnam.blogspot.com