Impossible to find a job!

thanks for the information !

I posted on another thread...

Finding a good job in Canada can be very challenging even for Canadian-born citizens. New and potential immigrants to Canada should be well aware of the job market and how to best optimize their work skills and experience.

I work for a major Canadian bank. A typical entry-level position---no experience, high school education, good English---will receive from 100 to 200 applications. About two dozen will be selected for a phone interview and 4 to 8 finalists will be given a personal interview. These are rough approximations only and will widely vary depending upon needs/preferences of HR manager and each department.

FOR MOST JOBS, TO BE CONSIDERED A SERIOUS CANDIDATE, YOU MUST BE BE PHYSICALLY PRESENT IN CANADA.

There are exceptions, of course, notably in the technology industry. Some Canadian companies will conduct live video interviews for certain positions and candidates. Sometimes the work site is remote and/or inaccessible or highly skilled candidates for senior positions are concerned. For the latter, note the final stage will almost always involve a personal interview---flight and hotel paid by the company---at the Canadian head office. These scenarios can be very industry dependent however.

Canada is very welcoming to immigrants. It is just a difficult job market.
My worksplace is about 90% foreigners, in a technical high paid educated work environment.

There is just too many people coming to Canada looking for jobs in too few industries. I feel the same way

Well...actually yes, sometimes it can be quite difficult to get a job there. I consider myself as a lucky person coz I can work remotely for stores and live here as much as I want

This is exactly why I work on my website, parenthood.dk. I have a dream to come to Canada very soon and I want to avoid being in a situation where I need to spend my time looking for a job. Therefore, I try to become independent by having my own website where I can make money and be flexible. Maybe you can use your writing tools for a freelancer job?

Hi Chantel, I see your post is from 2018.

We are in Sept 2020 during Covid now.

How did things go for you guys.

We are also South African and applying to Canada.

so common problem for everyone - immigrants, locals...

you've heard dozens of advice like find a career center etc...

but maybe it's worth trying smth creative?  attend gatherings where potential employers could be our (love that approach) try to outreach to them on social networking sites like LinkedIn for example :idontagree:

It's true getting a job is hard nowadays. Find other means to earn. Having a job is one, having an online business is way better than job - you work on your own terms. I'm part of community of digital business owners and I know lots of people in Canada are into this kind of business and making fortune out of it. Ohh, they even quit their jobs.

MiraOMG wrote:

It's true getting a job is hard nowadays. Find other means to earn. Having a job is one, having an online business is way better than job - you work on your own terms. I'm part of community of digital business owners and I know lots of people in Canada are into this kind of business and making fortune out of it. Ohh, they even quit their jobs.

Online works very nicely IF you have a good business plan.
Sadly, most do not or are scammed by people claiming you can make "6-sigit or even 7-digit" profits. A well planned and executed business can, but nobody pushes such things on forums.

In other words, those interested in online business should take great care because there are a lot of scams out there.

That's why due diligence is needed before jumping into this type of business. Study the business model to see if it is sustainable. It's like searching for the right job.

It is perfectly fine to take calculated risks especially when the return is a lot lot bigger than perceived losses.

Hi there, you mean that you are a U.S. citizen living in Canada now? Greetings from Toronto, I am a Canadian expat living in California now. So what can I tell you. The job search in Canada has always been some kind of pain in the ass even for the natives. I remember my looking for the job fo 10 months, and that was well before coronavirus. I can recommend you to browse vacancies https://jooble.org/jobs/Fort-Lauderdale%2C-FL site that I used to find my current job in CA. I hope this works for you as well. And don't give up. Canada is tough but if you get the job, you will get the best out of it, meaning benefits etc.

Hi!
Did you assess your international degree?