Pay personal income tax in Thailand over funds brought in from abroad

@Leeds forever!

Yes right I have been living in about 20  different countries in my past 43 years when working abroad and had my original residency with my own country established and registered abroad at my Embassy, so that I could be exempted in my country and eventually pay taxes in other country where I was staying, or where I was for more than 181 days. Which is the first step of "Double Taxation Agreements". I know this agreements well too.

But a salary issued and paid by a company in the original country in a local bank account, and not transfered abroad systematically every month to a bank abroad like happens for a monthly salary, makes in any case impossible to demonstrate that a foreigner living in Thailand has an income from somewhere and as I told if the daily life is paid by a foreign credit card, or a foreign ATM debit card, that can take cash advance, or sometimes making an international bank transfer from yourself to yourself here, all this cannot be considered an income earned by working which is the most important point  for Thai tax law, or even by a pension which is not an income but an already taxed form of saving that you get back after finishing your working life. So they do not have elements and evidence to affirm such a condition.

Sure the bank can say that you have some money here but cannot say that is coming from a company or an institution if it comes from yourself to yourself and in consequence cannot be considered an income, which are all details that are specified in the "Double tax agreements"

The only condition that could advise them is to show your monthly income to immigration to obtain the Ret. Stay permit with the famous 65,000 baht per month, then you give in their hands the official document that shows an existing income, and this can be used by them to ask for tax. Otherwise if you invest in a house and bring in the necessary amount that will be taxed when you register the house at the Land office but cannot be taxed as an income.

So you know well your reality and I know well  my reality, and nobody wants to take your supremacy in knowledge but just express an opinion. Don't feel every time that you lose your TopGun position, nobody is stealing you any of your reached ranking position.... just relax. Bye, enjoy your life.

dual taxation treaty does not mean you don't pay tax to the other country. I will explain my situations in the past between France and England.

Working in England - paying tax on work income

Renting house in France - And paying taxes in France for rental income

Until there everybody agreed.

One day I received letter from Inland revenue about my income in France, and after long discussion, I did have to declare it also in England ( not to pay double but to pay additional taxes ) :

  • they consider my worldwide income that mean I can change tax Band in UK and therefore pay more on UK work income because change of Band if this happen

  • and on the worldwide income also I did have to pay more because in France band was like 20 percent and UK was far more even double, of course they deduced what i have already paid in Taxes in France but they ask me to pay a remaining due to the cumulated income and Band Rate change. Hae to provide all papers of French Taxation for them to do the calculation

I didn't have that problem in Thailand as I don't work and I don't think they can know I have house rental in France, but in Europe they share datas or denunciation can happen easily

^ Makes sense.  Thanks for sharing. 

@HKT Expat

By the way I wonder what is the code shown in your passbook ?

For example Bangkok Bank use FTT ( Foreign Telex Transfer ) for Foreign Transaction

However people using service like WISE, even they specify the reason of transfer as long term visa, have seen wrong code in their passbook.

In fact WISE with their partner bank in Thailand will transfer the money from a local bank to your bank that mean THB to THB and this can be flag by some bank wrongly and difficult to be corrected after ( there have been some posts about this on internet, but I never had that problem ).