Are there any restrictions in my case ?

Hi, I'm Nergiz. I have been here since 2019 with A card and I'm in the process of switching to F card. I'm about to finish my master's, got married recently and looking for some answers like if there is any restrictions for doing PhD (being in the student status again) after obtaining F card or is there a way to go to Spain to defend my thesis just for a few days during the Orange card process. Thank you.

Hello Nergiz,

Welcome on board !

Since you have a question that needs to be addressed, I have created a new thread from your post on the Belgium forum.

Hopefully members will be able to guide you.

all the best

Bhavna

@NergizD Hello. If your A card is still valid, then no issues in travelling. Travelling on orange card is not recommended at all. Within europe, there may be a way out, may be others have experienced it and they will guide you about it but if ever you want to go out of europe, you may not enter again on an orange card. You will require a re entry visa.

@NergizD And once you are on F card, you can study or do job or both at same time. Your status never goes back to student status unless you divorce or separate.

Never travel with your orange card only.

It doesn't give you the right to cross the border, just to stay temporarily legally in Belgium.

You must have a visa-free passport or a visa!

In case of student & phd it's quite ok if you can show a "correct" bank account. (consider at least 100€ per day of stay, it should be a bit less, you can check the requirement with the embassy of Spain or on dofi.ibz.be)