Starting a business in Italy??

Does anyone know what's involved in starting a business of your own in Italy.  I mean bureaucratic procedures such as tax file numbers, business names,  business registration.

In Australia it is pretty much get an ABN number for tax and register for ASIC (Company registration stuff) and off you go,  you can pretty much do it all online in in about half an hour.

I have heard that you need to pay the Italian tax office some money for tax not yet incurred which sounds outrageous and I don't really believe it.  But a few people have said Italy isn't very supportive of entrepreneurs or people wanting to start their own business.

I am actually freaking out about the number of Italians that have never filed a tax  return!!! :)  This is unheard of for me,  don't know about anyone else.

Rainman,
I am An Australian and am curious to the answers you get as I would very much like to create a business in Italy. I have been told it is really impossible for an Australian as we are not part of the EU and also the economic situation in Italy is not the best, unless of course you have a lot of money. Would be very interested in how you get on
trazzy

Hi Trazzy,

I will let you know if I hear anything also.  I get the feeling it is frowned upon to do something like this here though.  When I ask about it people look at me as if I am addicted to gambling.  My girlfriend just wants me to get a job working for somebody else but I get the feeling thats even harder (especially when you don't know Italian yet :)

ciao