Need good local info

:D

Hey folks, I am hoping to spend about a month in the October/November time frame visiting Northern Thailand. Checking out as much of what the area has to offer as possible in the time available.
     Things I am interested in are the local scenery, wildlife, local villages,  Temples, Elephant riding, historical sites etc.
(I know not a small list is it ;) )
     However I need to get some ideas about hotel/hostel lodging available (inexpensive but not cheap or unsafe), bike rentals (tips about priceing and best routes of travel).
     I am a mildly accomplished, but certainly not expert rider whose intention is to take extended bike (motor scooter) trips to the outlying areas while basing myself in larger cities like Chiang Mai, and Chaing Rai. As I am not an expert, have not ridden in years, and this is my first time to Thailand, I am certainly open to the idea of a travel partner with good local knowledge or any group runs that would let me join :cool:.

Thanks in advance :)

Deter

Hi Deter,

You can vist GT-Rider.com for the bike community. They have information, map and bike for rent too.

For temple and cultural places, friends and I are happy to help.

You want to go to Pai, and Ubon Ratchathani Province.

Pravee Guest House in Pai is really good.  Do the ride from CM to Pai.  Be sure and get good quality crash gear (helmet, gloves, etc). and then the ride from Pai to Mae Hong Son is going to be very very very scary, if you are up to the ride.

Once in Pai, the best restaurant is Na's Kitchen, and you will find Pai cheap and beautiful.

There are many temples and 2 or 3 national parks enroute to Pai.  I'd plan on a couple day's ride between the two.  The Road from Pai is mostly mountainous and winding and dangerous and beautiful.  Pai will be the best value for your money part of the trip.

Going to Mae Hong Son is very dangerous and very beautiful.

Come back and go to Ban Wat Chan.  Sleep there.  Beyond there u can do some adventurous riding, but I do have some fotos of things which cannot exist above Ban Wat Chan, so be careful.  also, in Pai, be careful of Lahu.

Check your bike often, and be sure nothing was added to the bicycle if u go into the villages.

In CM I'd recommend the Park Hotel.  While guest houses are cheaper, the Park hotel, if u buy a member card, can give you 800 baht a night including bkfst buffet which is pretty good.

Don't go to the Lisu Villages alone.

:top:

Thanks for the quick responses. It is nice to find a forum with helpful, friendly and knowledgeable people on it!!!

Deter