My experience so far in Accra

Hi everyone,

My name is Emunah and it's a pleasure to be part of this community. I moved to Accra from UAE about a month ago. I have been a resident of UAE for 15 years, I studied in the UAE as well. I am an MSK/Orthopedic physiotherapist, practiced in hospital in UAE for like 6 years, ended my contract and decided it was time to move on.

My time here in Accra so far, has been a bit of “oh wow so lovely “ and “no this is not what I expected “ moments. Before moving here, I was mentally prepared for the weather, based on what I read and the information I gathered, I was told the weather here was usually very hot especially in December but getting here I found the weather ok and not as bad as I imagined, but then coming from UAE where the temperature and humidity level is somewhat unbearable I guess my perception differs. I also had the notion that getting an apartment will be hectic and probably take a while based on the scary stories I heard on finding an accommodation in Accra, but I managed to get a decent apartment less than two weeks after I arrived without any hassle, I found a compassionate nice local that helped me, thanks to God. One thing I must mention though is, most online real estate or property ad were fake or scam. I will advise anyone looking for property not to go the online route, they are not trustworthy at all.

Finally no one told me to withdraw most of the money I needed from ATM at once and/or convert my foreign currency to GHC considering the exchange rate fluctuations and the fact that most transactions here are done in cash. I lost couple of thousands of GHC 😢 due to this, I'm still heartbroken and haven't fully recovered from the money I lost. Anyway,   I have been enjoying my time here so far, I'm still trying to find my feet I must confess, I am trying to connect with like minded folks and I'm open for business and freelancing gigs. I read that the food here are usually very tasty, I'm sorry but till this moment I'm yet to find a restaurant that matched my expectation but then I'm a cook myself and maybe my expectations are way off so please I'm also keen on restaurants, food joints and even chop bar that make very tasty meals, any recommendations will be appreciated.

Welcome to Ghana

Glad that your experiences so far have been positive apart from the money situation.

Yes, for the most part cash - especially foreign currency- is king in Ghana.

Depending on the type of cuisine you like you'll find decent Lebanese restaurants here. Mama Mia's is great for pizza and Italian food, Santoku is mainly Japanese influenced and very high end. They have just opened Ocean Basket in Labone and that is getting good reviews.

Hope you continue to enjoy your stay

@hkann

Hello farisayimadhaka,

Welcome to expat.com!

Do you have anything to add to this discussion?

Perhaps you can try posting your message again...

Cheers1f609.svg

Yoginee

Expat.com team

Hi @emunah2014, welcome to Accra.

Nice to have you around. Likewise, I'm a Nigerian who moved in here barely 2 months now..

About the online apartment agents, there are so amazing ones though.. all man got their own personal experiences

About money, they've got a good security system but you just need to be careful.

I was robbed of more most of the money I converted to GHS too..

I'm just tryna get on my feet again..

Yes, I'm also a freelancer and an eCommerce based Shopify developer

Let's connect and get together sometimes

Hello @hkann,

Thanks for your recommendation, will definitely check some out.

Hi @duruvicofficial,

Thank you. About you being robbed, ok now that's scary 😧, everyone I met so far told me Accra is very safe, that I got nothing to worry about as long as I mind my business. I will keep this in mind, thanks.

He didn't get robbed physically, it was due to changing money.

Ghana is generally safe but you always have to be aware that if there is an opportunity to cheat you in some way then you will be cheated. Foreigners are considered rich and therefore a legitimate target.

@emunah2014

Hello am Daniel , i guess you are in Accra

If yes we can set a meeting place ,discuss business and see the way out if you're really interested tho ...No online stuffs

Hi I'm Karen, I'm happy to hear that your experience here so far has not been so bad. Unfortunately mine is not as pleasant as yours. My family and I moved here almost two years now to set up business in Ghana, we have been stolen from and due to this our business suffer and we had to shut it down.

My advice to you is TRUST NO ONE, be wise check people out before you go into business with them, do not be too trusting, you are seen as a foreigner with money. Due to many many great disappointments we have decided to move back home.

Not everyone is bad, we have met some wonderful people in Ghana, some parts of the country are very beautiful, I would come back one day on holiday, but never to live or to set up business.

Good luck I truly wish you all the best, I hope you meet better people to go into business with than we did, keep your money very close to your chest.

Hello Karen,

Welcome to expat.com!

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Indeed, setting up a new business in a new country is a difficult task and it requires you to be on your guard at all times.

If I correctly understood, you are moving back to Jamaica?

Cheers,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

@athea2006 yes you can't trust anyone. i was fooled by a couple that the guy said was his sister. They are good talkers and will do anything to get your money.