House Sitters … Las Terrenas

Its my wife's and my intention to retire to and purchase a Villa in Las Terrenas, and travel back to Canada in the summer.

Would it be difficult to find trustworthy, honest responsible person/couple to live in one's Villa in Las Terrenas Area for say June, July, August and September while we are away out of country. Would same person feed and look after two dogs, two cats and a couple chickens ?

Is this doable ?

Thanks

That is a hard one. I will be facing the same situation down the line. it has to be a real trustworthy person I'll tell you!

Agree, this is a hard one. I would suggest hiring someone to care for the property and miscellaneous chores during your winter stay as part of the initial trust-building and vetting process and then keep them on staff during the off-season. Salaries are quite affordable, so you can hire someone full-time for $300-400 USD. This is a great option should you wish to list your property as a vacation rental with animals on sites while you're away, so someone can manage the cleaning etc.

Alternatively, I would suggest checking into international house/pet sitting sites which vet travelers willing to house/pet sit for accommodations. This could be a great option given your highly desired location.

Here is a link to sites that may be useful.

thetravellinghousesitters.com/our-favourite-house-sitting-websites/

Thanks for your replies :)

Hopefully the website you posted, is approved for us to see the link.

I recommend using a property manager.  I have someone that is for year round.  I have a realtor that also does property management.  I think it is DR Oceanview and her name is Denise Bess.  She might be able to recommend some other people if she is not in your area.  Also, I found someone by reaching out to AirBnB owners asking who they use and for the contact information.  That turned out to be helpful for me.

Great idea, willing to explore all avenues.  With our animals there, we need someone to stay at the Villa, and care for our pets.

There has to be some good honest people, animal lovers that would welcome and enjoy doing this and get paid to do so🤞

Some good ideas here.  Whatever you do make sure you have a legal agreement in place and you understand all the risks.  Sometimes what we think should be easy, just isn't here!

I know of people here in LT that housesit/petsit while folks are on vacation. Not sure about long term. One is a couple, she's a former vet tech. They live at her parent's B&B, so she doesn't have her own home that she has to leave to be able to pet sit. Let me check and see if it's something she would be interested in doing.

We have a sitter that we use, but I'm not sure I'd want to use him for more than a week at a time. He's young and house-sitting for us and our dogs is the closest he's come to living on his own yet! You'll want someone who can take care of routine maintenance and deal with any necessary repairs.

Thanks DDMcghee.

Just trying to figure out things in advance, as to what's doable and not.

@Ian1272

Hi! We are looking to retire early in Lat tetranas also.

We are a hard working skilled in many areas Americans. We are currently living on a 32 foot boat in Islamorada, Florida.

Maybe we could figure something out. We love animals and my husband has been in construction for 35 years. He can fix anything.

We hope to hear from you soon!

Denise and David Alessi

Welcome to the forums Denise and David.

Trusted Housesitters is a great service, I've heard lots of good reviews on them. My sister in California uses them often when she travels, as she has horses, chickens, geese, cats and a dog. Her pet sitters are more local but for a beautiful Caribbean location like Las Terrenas, I'm sure you'll get many offers. It charges a yearly fee but the pet sitters aren't paid, they just get a free place to stay while watching your furry or feathered babies. I would LOVE to spend a summer there, if I had the freedom to go. Got my own furries and humans to pet sit for now. 😊

@denisebonealessi

Hi Denise and David.  Thanks for reaching out.  Unfortunately we have yet to locate in Las Terrenas yet :(

We have had our property for sale here in Canada since July 2022.  Once it sells we are Las Terrenas bound.

There's another great couple on this board, whose name is Denise and David too :)

@jennifer storm nelson

Thanks for letting us know about Trusted Housesitters. 

It's great to know we will have options once we finally get to Las Terrenas.

@J3ss1c8

When you say it should be around 300-400 dollars to house sit for the off season, what do you mean? Can you break it down by month?

thanks !!

Love the link!

@Ian1272

Hi Ian,

I am looking for a unique opportunity like this.  I would love be in the DR during the summer months (from Canada) please contact me if you are still looking for help.

Thank you,

Laura

@Ian1272

Hi Ian,

I am looking for a unique opportunity like this.  As a stepping stone to living in the DR, I would love to spend the summers there (from Canada). If you are still looking for someone to help you take care of your animals and place, please contact me.

Thank you,

Laura