Sponsoring your partner

Hi there

I have recently moved to Netherlands with my 15 year old son. I have a resident permit as my employer has organised it for me. I am divorced 2 years back in my home country and the custody of my son is with me. I have been in relationship with my partner for last one nd half years nd he is currently in India. Now if I want to sponsor and invite him what are the formalities. ESP from the point of view that I have my son with me, so I need consent from my ex husband as my partner will be staying with both of us

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

You need to speak to the IND regarding this; assuming that your relationship meets the requirements to qualify as a relationship, I don't think you'll have any [problems; this link will take you straight to the IND website where you can begin the process.

You may have issues travelling into and out of Holland with your son, especially if his father does not cooperate; this link will help explain this to you.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

Thankyou Cynic!

I think I couldn't explain clearly, for me to sponsor my partner do i need a consent form from my EX- husband? Or does he need to adopt my child as a requirement? I am asking this as both of us will be living together so does it make the situation complex if i have a minor living with me from my Ex husband?

thanks in advance

Swati

Hi again.

Your ex-husband will play no part in your future unless you want him to; he certainly will have no say in the sponsorship of your new partner and who the child lives with, and neither do you need his consent to live with your new partner.

The only thing that will matter is with respect to the child you share with your ex and in particular travelling, I have already provided you with a link to it.  Adoption will make it easier.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

I am in this situation. I intend to move with my son whom I had with my ex ( we are divorced) to go live with my husband! ( I remarried a dutch).

My ex has not been present in our lives. During the divorce, I was awarded custody until my child turns 18. The court also adopted a memorandum of settlement in which my ex agreed to pay a certain monthly allowance in child support...but he has never given a dime...so largely he has played no part in our lives..neither does he care about the welfare of his son.

Will I have a problem moving with my son, please?

Hi again.

Something that may prove useful is the specimen consent letter that can be used when travelling alone with your child(ren) in or out of the Netherlands; this link will download it straight to your desktop.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team