Who'd have believed Scotland had native gold, pearls and other gems?

I found this really interesting article by a leading Scottish jeweller.
I knew jewellery was made in Scotland - but I never realised all the precious materials were native too.
There is even a map showing the best placed to find gold, sapphires, rubies and pearls.

The main link to the map of Precious Scotland is here - [moderated: no ads]

Enjoy!

Scottbyname

Its pretty well known the Scottish crown jewels were made from Gold mined in Scotland.Gold coinage was commen even in the medevil periods and before.
Leadhills was one place i know of , Campbellton another was known for turqoise which is a by product of silver gold and copper.

HI Scottbyname
Do you mean Scotland got ruby, sapphire and pearl too?
Jewellery can be produced in Scotland but the precious stones
are also from Scotland locally?
I doubt,perhaps some not all....
Anyway, good to know that.
Thanks
Leo

The only Ruby in Scotland took her love to town long ago , pearls are freshwater river pearls.I think there was a Ford Sapphire some years ago.

Hi,
Can tell us something about Scotland?
Thanks
Leo

Sure , anything you care to ask , i can tell you that you wont find precious stones , semi precious maybe.
Gold is still panned for by hobbyists who claim to be finding it in small amounts.
There were people who had collected maybe an ounce of gold over a long period recently in the media but consider they spent much of thier time over the years collecting that.
You'll earn that in cash over a months time in most jobs.

Hi Jamesy,
Thanks for telling the collection of an ounce of gold dust.
How about the differences of culture between England and Scotland? Like the living habbit, drink and eating etc..
Thank you very much.

Cheers
Leo

hahagoodliving wrote:

How about the differences of culture between England and Scotland? Like the living habbit, drink and eating etc..

Maybe it would be better to start another thread about this ;) (the title of this thread might be confusing) thanks!

I think you are most likely right Julien , ill give Hahagoodliving a quick reply and if more info is required we can begin a new thread.
Haha , i found life in Scotland and England very similar.No huge differences.
Ill expand on that this evening as Julien suggested in a new thread for you.

Hi Jamesy,
Thanks for both of you.
I am expecting some more info from you soon.
Thank you.

Leo

Hi Scott By Name,

I am studying to be a Graduate Gemologist with GIA.  I had no idea the resources you claim were in Scotland.  I got on this site because when I hear certain Scottish songs and such, I weep and cry (I am musicaly inclined and a lousy poet).

My Grandfathers name was William Wallace Brown.  There is something in me that I did not put there, and it calls me to Scotland.  I happen to be half way through my Graduate Gemologist degree, but that is not why I write.  I need to reconcile the unexplainable urges of my heart...am I nuts...or do I belong in Scotland.

Friends,
Scott

Hello from Australia .

we are just new here we like live in scotland we seeking new friend to help us find information about how and what in Scotland . it mybe you can help thanks

smokey topaz quartz can be found in the cairngorm mountains scotland and is the national gemstone of scotland.
Also Agate is found in scotland.
If your in Edinburgh go to the museum of scotland in chambers street.