We want to live somewhere peaceful in Chantaburi

Hi,

My name is John from Lancashire UK. Approaching 60 next month and now looking to sell up and retire in Thailand.

My wife is from Buriram but we want to live somewhere peaceful in Chantaburi.

Most of if not all of the websites are centred around 'Real Estate' and several land plots with a communal swimming pool or, they are located 'X metres from the beach'

We absolutely don't want that but rather a peaceful location perhaps 100m off a road with small village nearby and 5 to 20 miles inland.

It is pretty obvious after contacting a couple of real estate developers that they cannot help us.

Any local Thai land registry contacts would be much appreciated and my wife can discuss 'Thai Price'. Yes we know that +200,000 THB was added to a 250,000 land because of my skin colour and heard similar stories elsewhere.

We will be over again in May 2023, rent a Condo in Rayong area and tour around until we find something that suits our needs.

Meanwhile, I will check out any relevant posts on this forum.

Regards

John

Hi,
My name is John from Lancashire UK. Approaching 60 next month and now looking to sell up and retire in Thailand.
My wife is from Buriram but we want to live somewhere peaceful in Chantaburi.

Most of if not all of the websites are centred around 'Real Estate' and several land plots with a communal swimming pool or, they are located 'X metres from the beach'

We absolutely don't want that but rather a peaceful location perhaps 100m off a road with small village nearby and 5 to 20 miles inland.

It is pretty obvious after contacting a couple of real estate developers that they cannot help us.

Any local Thai land registry contacts would be much appreciated and my wife can discuss 'Thai Price'. Yes we know that +200,000 THB was added to a 250,000 land because of my skin colour and heard similar stories elsewhere.

We will be over again in May 2023, rent a Condo in Rayong area and tour around until we find something that suits our needs.

Meanwhile, I will check out any relevant posts on this forum.

Regards
John
-@Skater2011

Just out of curiosity,why not stay in Chantaburi when looking for a place to stay? Why stay in another province? It doesn't make sense.

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed on the forum. Please drop an advert in the housing section. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@Skater2011 Good luck mate.  My advice/response is to decide what you want and do a lot of research before deciding where to buy. How important to you is quick/easy access to things like Hospitals, Doctors, Internet Access, Shops, Quiet (never easy in Thailand), Malls, Restaurants, Golf Courses, Fishing, Bike Paths, Other Farangs, whatever you want or dont want to do.  Do you have an honest reliable legal adviser/lawyer who will make sure what you buy is able to be sold, and that it is the land that you were shown.  Do you really want to buy some land and build your own house/villa - meaning built by a Thai builder who does not understand or abide by our western 'rules'. It is definitely possible and it is achievable - but it aint ever easy.  There are people who can give/sell you advice on how to do that, but you need to really know what you are doing first.  If you are committed to doing that, then I suggest you rent a place long term (6-12 months) and take your time both learning about buying land in Thailand, and do that before you decide where to look. It will take a long time to build a place (usually) - so you will need a place for a while anyway.  It has been done both successfully and disastrously by Farangs over the years.  Yes - not only will Thais hike up your price - they will sell you land that floods at the first drop of rain - and they will sell you land that is a long way away from the land they showed you.  There are very few safeguards for buyers of anything in Thailand - especially a Farang.  My main advice is to get legal and building advice - before even thinking about buying any land.  Buying land near/close to the Thai family does offer the benefit of local knowledge (both price and pitfalls), and also the surety that you are getting the actual land and it will be free of any encumberance or claim to the title.  Some Thais will use their land as collatoral to buy a new truck or farm machinery (or both) and then when they cannot pay they lose the land to the bank - which they then lease back on 10, 20, 30 years deals - and some of them sell parts of that same land that the bank actually owns.  Mate - it is a minefield in Thailand - drive around and take a look at all the half built and empty properties - especially in rural areas. Come over and get a place long term, and then do your research - lots of research - and find a good honest lawyer before buying any property or land in Thailand.

@AussieBob99 Thanks fir the good advice.

My wife has a possible plot 120m x 80m in Sisaket which her sister is selling. She has already bought some some land (just over a Rai)  in Kamphaeng Phet. Really nice and would have been great to build on. Except there is no direct access road. Which has killed the project really. (120m of access needed)

The larger land is good access and her sister / husband said it doesnt flood and other houses are close by also. Seems OK for 850,000 THB.

But taking your advice on hunting around, and renting a condo... I'm doing exactly that in Rangsit for 12 months. TBH, I can rent in Thailand forever without worrying / committing to purchasing. My wife wants to buy the land as she tells me that many other locals are wanting the land so my wife has first shout. Naturally I will keep well away so the price remains Thai!!

Is the land in a local village - surrounded by other houses/property? Or is it surrounded by other farmland.  Does it have road side access?  If it is in the middle of a village - you should find out how much others paid for their block of land. If it is in the middle of farmland, then you need to be careful that it can only be used for farming - and what about water and electricity and sewerage access?  It is a minefield in Thailand mate - an absolute minefield - I strongly recommend you think very very carefully - and go very slowly slowly. Seems to me you are rushing in - or being rushed.  Maybe I am wrong.  But I must ask - if your wife already has land, why does she want more? If it is that good a bargain, then why not sell her other land and buy this one for a new house to be built?  It could all be great and fine and wonderful - but it might not - so take your time - let things play out - do not rush.  Just slow down and think mate - there is no need to rush - rent for a year and take your time to decide where YOU want to live and HOW you want to live - you are paying - it is YOUR choice.