Does Mauritius have a consumer council?

Where I came from have a consumer council. It is not a powerful organization legally. They work with customs and food/hygiene departments...etc.

I've got ripped off twice while my house is still under built. Everyone I talked to, said to me it became common practice here. If you did not get ripped off, something must be wrong. When I asked container rental for a discount since I have been renting for so many months and I told the lady that I've got ripped off twice. She replied "Me too! This is my 3rd building contractor. I feel you completely."

When I buy a car, they give me a bike. Does it mean I have to accept it as is? Of course not! But there is no organization or government body to protect consumer rights here. If there is one, please enlighten me.

Hello,

That would be the Consumer Protection Unit, I believe : https://commerce.govmu.org/Pages/Departments/CAU.aspx

Try to contact them.

@Pandora At Dodoland Sorry to hear you are still having issues. There are places to complain to for different areas but they will favour the local Mauritian.

@Bhavna Thank you. Certainly will do.

@Pandora At Dodoland you can go in consumer court  free advocate is there for advice near sterling House Port Louis,  decision will come fast , you can complain.

@yrsbarra  Thank you. Do you know if I need to make appointment in advance?

Hello Check this link: https://commerce.govmu.org/Pages/AboutU … ct-Us.aspx

Consumer Affairs Unit under the Ministry of Commerce and Consumer Protection definitely.

My 2 cents of advice: Always seek reference before signing with a contractor. Check if they have a website/Facebook page. Ask some locals. Just like you would anywhere else. But true, stories abound of issues with building contractors.

Adopt a no BS policy. Get a Quantity Surveyor onboard - maybe cost you a little now but save you in the long-run. I can refer a name on a non-commercial basis if you are interested.

@Intelitégen Thank you for your advice. The last 2 weeks I have learnt a lot of Mauritius law, rules, and regulations. Now I may know better than most locals.