What would you like to say to someone looking to move to Mauritius?

Hello everyone,

I hope you're well and enjoying the sunshine while it lasts.

As usual, at this time of the year, we're working on our Mauritius Expat Guide and we'd love our readers who are looking to move to Mauritius to hear from you! As such, I am leaving a few questions below and your responses could be featured in our guide. Please note that we will be needing your name as well as a little photo of you for this purpose and will get in touch when the time comes to get these details. So here we go:

1) What do you love the most about Mauritius ? (You can list as many things as you want!)

2) What are the things you wish you had known before moving to the island? What are the tips that you'd give to yourself if you were making this move all over again?

We look forward to hearing from you and we hope you have a wonderful end of the week!

Take care everyone!

1. The interesting culture & the beautiful scenery.

After sunset, there is no night life here! Try to find friends to go for fishing or night scuba diving, or just try to work at night time, and enjoy daytime doing other things.

It's a wonderful country with almost uniformly friendly, welcoming and innovative people. If you are used to a large city some amenities and the availability of some products and services may be challenging. Remember that it's a small market so come with the view of creating value in and beyond the borders of Mauritius rather than to get a job or serve the local market only.  If you come with the ambition of contributing to Mauritius' future you will be delighted by the reception you will receive, especially if you make the effort of being multilingual and sensitive to the cultures and religions on the island. It's a beautiful and progressive place and a wonderful base from which to serve the world.

@james935 You more or less nailed it

@james935 Lovely to hear.  We busy with our Retirement Visa and coming over end Feb 2023 to scout the island for where to stay etc. I cannot wait.

@traciwoodley same here. I will come over for the first time in May and will stay 2,5 weeks, one week an airbnb on the west coast, one week in the north. If I fall in love with the island, I will apply for my retirement visa ! Maybe we can keep in touch.

@oshudofsky We will be staying at Sea View Studios for a month. Looks like a lovely place with a fantastic sea view which is about 500m away.  I will let you know how it is when we get there. It is also West of the Island in Riviere Noir district.  I cannot wait to leave. 

Mauritius is a warm & welcoming country, but beware of going in quiet places especially at nights due to the reported rise in thefts and aggressions.

There is a myriad of cultures to suit the needs of most expats.

Night-life is quite non existant except for places like Grand Bay and Tamarim.

Summer can be hot as hell.

Some really awesome natural viewpoints (Grand Bassin, Seven Cascades, Chamrel colored earths, Maconde et al.)

We first came to the island on holiday in 2016 and fell in love with the country and its people. We came back in 2017 with my eldest daughter and her boyfriend in within a week they were planning their wedding for 2019. While here for the wedding a member of the party asked why we loved the island so much and had we thought about moving here. So we applied for our retirement permit and moved here in 2020 just before lockdown. We have always lived with the Mauritians  and find them to be extremely welcoming

Don't trust locals even if they seems nice. They only "like" you if they can take advantage of you and even more if you are white. People who are telling you how nice people are here live in gated community and of course locals working there will be nice to them. People are fake and materialistic here.

@groszozo1234 I do not agree with what you are saying about Mauritians. I have lived here since just before lockdown and have always lived in the local community and always have found the Mauritians to be very friendly and helpful.

Interesting on culture and weather. I wish to spend my vacation in Mauritius