Spanish nationality denounce citizenship. Technical formality?

My father was born in Spain but I was born in North America. I want to get Spanish citizenship but I also keep my own citizenship. I understand that when you apply the government of Spain wants you to denounce your present citizenship.

Has anyone gone through that process and is it just a technical statement that one says or is it filmed videotaped or is there a written record of it? It truly just a formality  without any other repercussions?

In the US in Canada when a person wants to denounce their citizenship they must go through a process in which they fill out a form and also square and affidavit as well as pay a fee so I'm not sure if it would have any relevance if one denounces their citizenship other than the process that filling out forms and technically formally denounce your citizenship.

@linsaywv I have been through it in reverse. I am Spanish and became British as well. I did not lose the Spanish nationality. In your case the Spanish authorities may ask for you to declare your intention to lose your US nationality but such declaration will have no effect for the US authorities unless you tell them directly that you want to stop being American. I even doubt the Spanish authorities will process such declaration. In any case you need to make clear to the US want to remain their citizen. read here: https://echeverriaabogados.com/es/blog/ … dad-origen

I went through it. Seemed like a total formality. There is a line when I signed the citizenship papers that was something along the lines of I denounce any previous citizenships, but the USA doesn't see it that way. The USA immigration website even has a statement on this topic. If you wanted to actually denounce your USA citizenship you would have to complete a formal process and pay a few like you are saying. Just a formality

@Joseba Criswell89

Hi thanks for that. So when you signed that line on the application that you are to  give up your previous citizenships, that information isn't relayed to your country of citizenship?  Seems that it's a more involved process for instance to denounce your Canadian or your present US citizenship. And that signing the part of the application where you give a previous citizenships would have no effect whatsoever am I correct in presuming that?

@Carlosan71  Thanks, that makes sense. I looked at the Canadian process to denounce your citizenship and one must fill out several forms and pay a small fee so I can see that just signing something out an embassy wouldn't really have any repercussions and it is in fact kind of a formality.

Correct, from my understanding and what I was told there is no agreement between Spain and the USA to share this information. In Spain you are Spanish and in the USA you are American. Everywhere in between is up to you to make sure you understand the legalities and what is best for you.

@Joseba Criswell89
Hi thanks for that. So when you signed that line on the application that you are to give up your previous citizenships, that information isn't relayed to your country of citizenship? Seems that it's a more involved process for instance to denounce your Canadian or your present US citizenship. And that signing the part of the application where you give a previous citizenships would have no effect whatsoever am I correct in presuming that?
-@linsaywv

Upon obtaining my first Irish passport in 2010 I have not renewed my British passport.

i have a legal background in U.K.

i could make a legal argument that having

not renewed my British passport and having

bo intention to do so, I have in effect ‘renounced' my British nationality.

Most people who obtain Spanish nationality, who because of their status, are required to renounce their former nationality, do not make a formal application to do so.  Unless they were discovered with two passports they would not have any problem

A lawyerly opinion follows:

"If I acquire Spanish nationality by residence, do I lose my nationality of origin?"

https://www.echeverriaabogados.com/en/blog/spanish-citizenship/if-acquire-spanish-nationality-by-residence-lose-my-nationality-origin

Their interpretation is that Spain does not allow dual citizenship (for non-Ibero-Americans), but that enforcement of such a restriction is weak.

In particular, they differentiate between "renunciation" and "declaration". The former is a formal act that you undertake according to the laws of your current country of citizenship, and which has the effect of losing your citizenship (and the passport that goes with it). The latter is part of the process of acquiring Spanish citizenship, whereby you "say" that you "renounce" your previous citizenship.

You say this in a sworn declaration, the "Nationality Oath" or "la Jura de Nacionalidad Espanola". In this you promise "loyalty" to the King and "obedience" to the Spanish Constitution and its laws... and you "renounce" your previous citizenship.

The key point is that "saying" it in Spain doesn't (necessarily) "make it so" (in UK, USA, or wherever you're a citizen).

Yes, it's a common formality for Spanish nationals to denounce their citizenship. It can be done for a variety of reasons, such as wanting to hold dual citizenship or to obtain tax benefits in another country.

In order to denounce your Spanish citizenship, you must go through the proper channels and complete the appropriate paperwork. There is a fee associated with this process, and it can take several months to complete.

Once your citizenship has been denounced, you will no longer be considered a Spanish citizen. You will need to apply for foreign citizenship in the country where you want to reside.