Introduction

Hello,   My name is Daniel and my partner & I just moved to Bocas Del Toro early November. 

We have  purchased a small B&B on Bastimentos. 

Trying to learn how to do things the local way has been refreshing & quite a challenge.   

One of our biggest issues is with our phones.  Right now we are with our US carrier Verizon who is charging us $10/day per phone.   Would like to drop our us carrier but retain our US number.   

we are using WhatsApp now,  but need to somehow keep our US number to get dual authentication (for financial & banking)

we know we will be getting a local number,  but am lost as what to do as there are many ways & am not very techy. 

would love to connect with someone local who would be willing to help guide us. 

thanks,   Daniel

Hi Dan,

My name is Lora.  I work at Red Frog Beach Resort.  We will be hosting and industry night at our place next week.  I would love to invite you and it would be an opportunity to meet some other people in the hospitality industry.  Come join us Sunday Nov. 27 4-6pm.  La Rosa Beach Club. 

@Dan Miller95

Hi Dan,

I currently have a U.S. mobile # with AT&T.  My calling plan (something like 'elite' or 'premium' elite) includes Canada, Mexico, and much of Central/South America (including Panama).  My service is 'seamless' when I am in either the U.S. or Panama (this also includes unlimited data, SMS/MMS).  It is amazing how well it works.  The only 'glitch' is that when I am in the U.S. if I call Panama, then there is a charge (I don't need to do this often, but if I did then I would purchase an international plan--my plan does allow for calls free of additional charges only to Canada/Mexico if I am calling from the U.S.).  If I am in Panama and I call the U.S. or any countries included in my plan--there is no charge.  In addition, no charges are made for data and/or receiving calls from anyone when I am in Panama.

Hope this helps!  Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Doug

Get a MagicJack phone system. You can keep your USA Number and pay significantly less than what you pay now. We have our California number with MagicJack from 15 years ago and have had it in Panama for the 9 years we have lived here.

@Dan Miller95 Hey, Dan. Welcome to Panama!

The first thing to do is to make sure you can replace the SIM card on your phone. If you've got no issues with that, then I'd recommend Tigo, which is the company that we've used for the past three years. You can replace the SIM and then you'll have a local number. I highly recommend a post-paid plan for at least $27/month. This level of monthly plans gives you unlimited data and also gets you free roaming in most of the Americas, including the US. I'm pretty sure you don't need to change the number you use for your WhatsApp account. If you wind up changing phones, you may need to change your WhatsApp number because WhatsApp has to send you a text message to confirm a new device and obviously it would need to go to your Panama phone number.

If Tigo isn't to your liking for whatever reason, there's also Más Movil and Claro.

Another helpful app is called TextPlus, which lets you get a dial-in number from the US to receive phone calls and chats. It's free if you're just receiving calls and texts. You have to pay to make calls or send texts.

@lhassen

Hello Laura,   Thank you for the invite,  and yes we will be there as it seems like it would be a great opportunity for networking.   We  have many questions about logistics of furnishings,  food & beverage.   

We both look forward to meeting you, 

Best,    Daniel & Brian

@Dan Miller95

Hello Laura,   Thank you for the invite,  and yes we will be there as it seems like it would be a great opportunity for networking.   We  have many questions about logistics of furnishings,  food & beverage.   

We both look forward to meeting you,

Best,   Daniel & Brian