Moving to Oaxaca City, Mitla, or Near By Mexico

Hello, This is my first post and I am considering moving to Oaxaca City, Mexico in the reasonably near future.  I grew up down there, primarily in the Mitla area but went to the city often for shopping, etc. I am an American but was born in Mexico City DF, (child born abroad to American parents); I have two major questions:

1. Approximately how much in U.S. Dollars would it cost to live there in let's say a two bedroom, 1 - 2 bath, completely furnished house preferably in Oaxaca City but open to towns near by?, I will probably have around $2500.00 - $3500.00 U.S. Dollars a month to live on.
  2. Is the city/surrounding area reasonably safe?

Thank you,

Jean Crawford

Apart from any "boots on the ground" help from membership, I found that using online LOCAL newspapers or Mexican real estate websites in Spanish, which includes apt. and house rentals amueblado—and making sure there are NO ads for Gringo vacation homes—will give you a realistic spectrum of the rental property availabilities and pricing.

I investigated your destination "area" about half year ago; assuming you spend 40 - 60% of your total budget on rent, you should be in a good position. Especially in the surrounding smaller townships ( 20 minute bus ride from city center).

Good luck and stay in touch with "us", in that your destination is on my short list for my second time round relocation come next November.

As for safety, I've read it's about as safe any other Mexican or US city of that size population.   Use common sense, don't be a loud-mouth ugly American and I'm sure you'll do just "fine".

@mkngitwrk24

I can't help you in your cost questions but why would you move to Oaxaca? I too wonder if it is safe. I am looking at Mexico (various places) so I may benefit from your decision experience. Thanks Ross

For living costs try www.numbeo.com

A search of the housing section at the top of this page may give you an idea of accommodation costs.

here's an "old-school" thought—I don't like giving my exact resources, in that it takes away from one's own "industry" of research and reward of finding information for yourself. 

However, here's a gold nugget website that contains information broken down country by country all across the globe, and then city by city in umpteen different categories—and worldwide rankings— from cost-of-living to safety to so many other "issues" that apparently many people on this website don't know about because I've never seen it mentioned in any of the threads I participated, which are not a lot

the website is called- "numbeo".  check out it out, you'll immediately see what I mean