5 year criminal background check.

I have been in Brazil for 6 years.  We have a child  and have been living together for 6 years.  Where and what do I need to obtain the 5 year criminal background check here?   The places I have seen require a CPF,  I do not have a CPF yet.    Can I get this report from a local police?

11/19/22.  Good morning, RFeiring.  You normally would obtain Brazilian criminal background checks online, from the Federal and State Judiciairies.  You do need a CPF, though.  If you had a CPF and have lost it, you may be able to retrieve it by visiting the local office of the Receita Federal.

If you've been living in Brazil illegally all this time, then you really need to regularize your status.  If you are the parent of a Brazilian, you probably can't be deported or expelled, so it should be safe to do that.  Still, the process will be easier for you if you get a lawyer to help you through it. Good luck!

@abthree

Thank you for the quick reply.  How do I go about getting a cpf?  I have tried at the post office etc.  That was not fruitful.  Do I need to go directly to a tax office?   Once I get a cpf the process will be simple I believe

11/19/22 @RFeiring. Yes, going to the nearest Receita Federal office providing customer service should certainly let you get a CPF. If that office does not provided the service, they'll direct you to one that does.

You can also obtain one online here: https://servicos.receita.fazenda.gov.br … cricao.asp

Most people don't run into difficulties at the Post Office. Was there a specific problem?